15 Month Old Giant - using his teeth

Barking, humping, aggression are covered here. If you have a behavioural issue, please raise it here. Whether it be good or bad.
Cassie
Puppy
First Name: Cassie

15 Month Old Giant - using his teeth

Post by Cassie »

Noah is now 15 months old, and lovely in so many ways.

However, typical of an adolescent, he is rather bolshy with all of us (husband, son and myself) and mouths us regularly. It's not just in play that he uses his teeth, but when he doesn't want to do as he's told. Eg when putting his lead on (even though he loves going for walks), when being taken from one room to another, he tries to get his teeth around my ankles, and generally whenever he is being corrected. I always let him know that it's not acceptable, but he still does it, so I then have to put my hand on his nose and under his mouth, holding his mouth closed, whilst telling him 'no'. This is always done calmly, but firmly, however he still continues with the behaviour. He seems to have a lack of respect for us at times and tries to push the boundaries.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Robin black mini
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Robin
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Dec 2014
Dog #2: Stanley st poodle
Born: 24 Nov 2012

Re: 15 Month Old Giant - using his teeth

Post by Robin black mini »

hi Cassie..
Sorry your post has gone unanswered..my experience is with a rottie ,but I will dive in.
At fifteen months your dog is no longer pup and on the verge of adulthood...obviously what you describe is much more than a puppy mouthing and is getting out of control.it obviously cannot go on like this.
Have you read the NILIF link?
Nothing in life is free..NILIF..your boy has to follow some new rules..
http://m.humanesociety.org/animals/dogs ... _free.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I found the NILIF rules really easy to follow..
Eg....you want to put the lead on..?ask for a sit..then proceed.
.go out the door..?your boy cannot barge ahead..you go first...
..he wants food? Sit..,wait..then give the food bowl..
He doesn't go on the couch unless you invite him on..etc
Ie life is now on your terms.
For a while at least ,you need to step back emotionally from your pup and treat him as the dog you want him to become.ALL family members need to be on board.

Re the biting..we used to smear Vicks ( body rub) on our lead ..when the dog mouthed the lead we didn't have to verbally correct,...the lead would auto correct just by the smell alone..victory to us!
Re biting us..either walk away,or put the dog in a separate area for a time out..eg kitchen ,with a safety gate..
If he won't get off the settee...keep a collar and a really short lead on him in the house....there is no discussion...hold the lead ,give the command " off" in a dry voice and take him where you want him to be..he is getting too big to manhandle..but you must win.

Next the real work must begin..
I would enrol in an obedience course where your dog can engage his mind and expend his energy...preferably with a trainer used to working breeds...he is at the perfect age for advanced obedience..when he hasfinished a training lesson he will be genuinely tired out ,both mentally and physically. Also increase his general excercise at this point.
..these working breeds thrive on being worked and tested...so prepare to take on new sporting hobbies that engage your boy...tracking..search and rescue,competition obedience and so on..the list is endless..good luck..
What you put in this year will be repayed for the rest of his life. If you look at giant rescues they all say this is the worst period..the dog is full of life,hormones are raging and he needs an outlet.If he gets the training through this year you will find him a really different dog and
for sure he will repay the work you put in.
Bodee
First Name: Boyd

Post by Bodee »

The only thing I would add is perhaps too obvious. However it has worked with all my dogs. If he attempts to bite you use a stern voice and command " no biting!!" Don't draw your hand away, wait for him to realise by the tone of your voice that he has gone too far.

All the family should use the same phrase. When you see him react properly, praise him, and maybe add a treat. I would have added the express pain part (I say "oohya" ) but I feel as Jo above says he is out of the puppy stage where that might register - still you might give it a try.

Milla has already responded to this method but of course she is much younger.

Can I ask. Are you afraid of Noah, to any degree?
rmoore920
Puppy
First Name: RC

Post by rmoore920 »

If he attempts to bite you use a stern voice and command " no biting!!" Don't draw your hand away, wait for him to realise by the tone of your voice that he has gone too far.
Yes, I agree. This is the best answer for normal schnauzer grabbing with teeth. A loud "ouch" will also get them to be much more cautious.

However, if the dog does not know his place in family hierarchy, and for whatever reason feels he is at the top and considers it his prerogative to correct you, you have a more difficult problem, I think. I have friends who for various reasons could not be "boss" to their dogs, and it took an outside trainer to analyze the situation to find a correction.
Cassie
Puppy
First Name: Cassie

Post by Cassie »

Thank you everyone for your useful advice. It's good to hear your thoughts.

Regarding the NILIF method: I think :) we have been using this approach without knowing that it had a name, although we haven't always been consistent in certain areas. I guess we need to work on that.

I like the idea of using Vicks, will definitely try that, although funnily enough, Noah hasn't tried chewing his lead for a few days!

Regarding exercise, I go running with him when I can, and it does make a difference when he is worn out. I have also been looking for tracking or scent classes in our area. The problem is we are tucked away in North Wales, and there doesn't seem to be anything nearby. I will keep looking, as he's got an amazing nose, even when playing games at home where we hide treats for him to find.

Boyd, you ask if I'm frightened of Noah. At times, I have been, especially on occasions where he's been possessive over food or treats. With time though, I've grown more confident in this area. If he growls, I tell him 'off', take his treat/food away, tell him to 'sit' and 'wait' before giving it back to him. He does wait for us to go through the door first. So he is doing well in many areas. It's just that sometimes he gets a bit cranky and determined to do what he wants, or not do what I want!

Listening to what you have all said, I think we need to be more consistent with him, and add to this increased exercise and activities that really challenge his mind.

Hopefully we'll continue to see improvements and will eventually have the companion we always dreamed of.