BBC Panorama - Puppy Dealers Exposed

Had enough of your Schnauzer for one day. Then sit back, relax and put your feet up. You can let off a little steam here about things unrelated to your four-legged schnauzer.
BeeBee
First Name: Janetta

BBC Panorama - Puppy Dealers Exposed

Post by BeeBee »

A must watch for those who care about the issues of puppy breeding and selling. ON tonight (Mon 16th) and available on iplayer after airing.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07cgscx
Jasmine (RIP) Renae b.01.11.10, sister to Susie-Belle (RIP), Twinkle (RIP), Cerise & Albert Claude puppy farm rescues, my muses
Creator of Schnauzerfest a good thing made possible by 1000s of good people & dogs
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Susie-Be ... 0289434936
http://www.janettaharvey.com/
annie_a

Re: BBC Panorama - Puppy Dealers Exposed

Post by annie_a »

I don't know if I've just paid more attention to this topic in the last couple of years but my perception is that there is a lot more info & publicity out there about puppy farming. I hope this means that there's a greater awareness but more is still needed, otherwise these people wouldn't have any business and they obviously do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

annie_a wrote:I don't know if I've just paid more attention to this topic in the last couple of years but my perception is that there is a lot more info & publicity out there about puppy farming. I hope this means that there's a greater awareness but more is still needed, otherwise these people wouldn't have any business and they obviously do.

I think that unfortunately although many responsible people like yourself have become aware through all the publicity of puppy farming, there are still too many who look for a puppy in the instant gratification way they search for a fashion accessory or similar item - i.e by going online looking for puppies for sale or to a store that sells them or postcard advert. The BBC 2 programme Choosing A Puppy which had its first part shown last week highlighted this approach with one family who said they always did everything on impulse and the idea of researching the right type of dog, the best quality breeder, going on a waiting list etc was something they struggled with.

There is also ( again shown in this programme) those individuals who really should not have a dog ( either ever or because at that stage in their life they cannot give a dog a good home). There are always going to be people who will not be considered by the best breeders for getting a puppy and these will without a doubt be the biggest market for the puppy farmers :(
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Donald
First Name: Donald
Dog #1: Chester
is a: Black Giant Dog
Born: 01 Mar 2012

Post by Donald »

Depressing watch.

With licenced breeders.
mysti1990
Puppy
First Name: Molly
Dog #1: Toto
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 03 Oct 2014

Post by mysti1990 »

I've recorded it but don't know if I'm going to be able to bring myself to watch it.
zeta1454

Post by zeta1454 »

Despicable and very disturbing :(

If nothing else the programme offered clear evidence that licensing breeders and third party outlets will never be the solution to this trade - it only legitimises it.

I would have thought that a small step in the right direction would be to ban the sale of dogs in stores and via online selling sites and classified ads? The fewer outlets that offer instant puppy purchases the better - neither the online selling sites such as Pets4Homes nor stores such as Dogs4Us have the knowledge ( or interest) to monitor those providing puppies for sale via their outlets; (no responsible breeder would ever sell puppies through a store anyway) while council officials seem bereft of any understanding of the requirements of companion animal breeding. Any local authority which thinks it acceptable to licence an individual with over 200 breeding bitches is a lost cause from the outset as regards caring about the puppy trade X(

Donald
First Name: Donald
Dog #1: Chester
is a: Black Giant Dog
Born: 01 Mar 2012

Post by Donald »

What surprised me was that despite mostly talking about Scottish puppy dealers and Irish puppy farmers, it was not shown in either Scotland or Ireland.
annie_a

Post by annie_a »

There was a BBC Scotland programme on last year at some point, maybe Autumn. I managed to download it via Sky and although I haven't seen this Panorama yet it sounds like it covered similar topics. There was some undercover filming of 'breeders' and puppies for sale via websites etc and it also followed the route through from Ireland. It was a good programme. Wish I could remember the name.

jacdales
First Name: Jackie
Dog #1: Hamish
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 28 May 2013
Dog #2: Suzi
Born: 13 Jun 2017
Dog #3: mahri
Born: 20 May 2006

Post by jacdales »

I have not watched the programme but all I will say is that councils in general see any chance to issue a licence for something as a revenue raising venture and care little for the consequence. They don't have to live with it and blame the government for making them do it in answer to any bad press. We should be campaigning for an independent body to issue licences and police the policies
Jules

Post by Jules »

I watched- blinking dreadful but accurate portrayal of a dark side in our society.
Appropriate laws/legislation/rescources are all required.
Supply and demand........

Heartbreaking to acknowledge that my Nellie suffered about 7 years of that hell :(
zeta1454

Post by zeta1454 »

A revealing report prepared by Julia Carr of Canine Action UK on third party licensing in the the UK linked to here, highlights the fact that it is impossible to use this as a tool to address the problem of irresponsible dog breeding and/ or sales of puppy farmed dogs :

https://cariadcampaign.files.wordpress. ... -20162.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As stated in summary :
"Licensing is regarded as a tool to protect animal welfare and consumers by ensuring that basic minimum standards are complied with. However, our study has shown that it is ineffective on both counts. The regulation itself is inadequate; it also has tremendous variation in application and enforcement. There is almost no deterrent for non- compliance and once granted, a licence may even serve to protect the licensee. We do not believe that the licensing system as it currently functions is fit for purpose. Rather than amending the basic parameters, a radical rethink of the entire process is required towards a system which incentivises the highest standards and will ensure that puppies are bred and reared to meet the expectations of those purchasing them.

Puppy buyers want to be able to confidently buy a puppy that has the best possible chance of being a happy and healthy companion. Businesses that sell puppies as family companions should have a legal duty to ensure as far as possible that the animals they are producing are fit for that purpose.

There is no way that selling puppies through licensed pet shops can meet this objective, because selling puppies from premises other than where they were born has an inherently negative impact on their welfare that cannot be neutralised."

Sad that the Big 4 charities seem unable to recognise this :(