How Many Chicken Wings/Necks?

BARF refers to Biologically Appropriate Raw food or Bones and Raw Food. It is where owners have decided to feed their Schnauzer a natural diet of raw meat, bones, and organs. If you are considering this for your Schnauzer, you will find lots of handy tips here.
Buttons
Puppy
First Name: Nell

How Many Chicken Wings/Necks?

Post by Buttons »

As per the title ...

How many chicken wings or necks would constitute a meal for an eighteen kilo Standard Schnauzer? I usually feed Archie about 4 necks or 2 wings, but it doesn't look like much for a largish dog? :)

I feed him twice per day and he also gets veges and rice for evenings.
Some of the worst mistakes of my life have been haircuts.
- Jim Morrison
milosark2
First Name: vicky
Dog #1: Milo
is a: Black Std Dog
Born: 27 Jun 2008
Dog #2: Darcey
is a: Black Std Bitch
Born: 27 Jun 2011
Dog #3: Inka
Born: 07 Jan 2016
is a: Black Std Bitch

Re: How Many Chicken Wings/Necks?

Post by milosark2 »

We use Honeys raw food and these are the quantities of necks etc recommended by them. Milo 25kgs = 175g necks etc + 75g veg. Darcey 16kgs (at the time this info was given, now probably 18kgs) =125g necks etc + 50g veg. I usually feed this for breakfast then evenings they will have the minced meats from honeys plus veg. Hope this info helps :)
Caramomo
Site Admin
First Name: Elaine
Dog #1: Cara
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 05 Dec 2006
Dog #2: Momo
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 14 Aug 2009
Dog #3: Molly
Born: 01 Aug 2010

Post by Caramomo »

Raw is about 2-3% of body weight per day depending on activity levels and how prone the dog is to put on fat so you want to be looking at somewhere between 360g - 540g of meat, bones and offal a day. Usually veg is in addition to this but you can add more veg to fill them up if you need to reduce it for a fat-prone dog. Don't forget that necks can be quite bony so if Archie gets constipated he may need a bit of meat added to his necks.
Cara and Mo, two black mini's and Molly a black & white Heinz 57 all served by Elaine, the cook, poop picker, and chief toy thrower.
I live by the Mini Schnauzer code; when in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!
Buttons
Puppy
First Name: Nell

Post by Buttons »

Thanks milosark and Caromomo, gives me something to work with :)
Some of the worst mistakes of my life have been haircuts.
- Jim Morrison