Schnauzerfest 17th & 18th October 2015

Lou78
First Name: Louise
Dog #1: Ollie
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 26 Jun 2013

Re: Schnauzerfest 17th & 18th October 2015

Post by Lou78 »

shaunius wrote:Heaton Park was very nearly cancelled thanks to these types of rules!!!

Oh crikey, Shaun! I didn't realise it was such a minefield. Talk about "Fun Police"! They are out in force, aren't they these days?!? Good God, it is coming to something when you can't even go on a dog walk without interference.

I think everyone would be happy, as you say, to sign something on the day as a disclaimer. People should be responsible for themselves (families and dogs) without this whole hoo-ha and Health and Safety/blame culture creeping in! We have all had to have a risk assessment this week as there are contract decorators in my work place! We won't be able to leave our front door step soon without filling in a form! =))

Anyway, I will stop ranting now! So glad you sorted it (and thanks Carl!) we are really looking forward to it; hope this weather keeps up! :-bd
Bettys Mom
Puppy
First Name: Chris
Dog #1: Betty
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 14 Jul 2007

Post by Bettys Mom »

It is H&S gone mad nowadays. Like has been said...we are all responsible dog owners and can take care of our own.

The small walks are a great idea for those who dont really want to travel too far from home but I think it would be a shame to lose the fantastic sight of the larger walks where you could just fall into that great big pool of Schnauzers and die a happy bunny!! :ymhug:

I shall host a walk next year and I shall do it at Haughmond Hill. I am sure there wont be more than a handful of us and therefore we should go relatively unnoticed. Its a good location with adequate parking, toilet facilities and a small cafe. There are walks of varying lengths, none of which are too long for lesser abled canines and humans. The only 'rule' if you will that I have seen at Haughmond is 'scoop the poop' and 'dogs must be on a lead in the cafe area/picnic area' - which isnt an unreasonable request.

Anyways, roll on next weekend!! :o3 :D :o3
shaunius
Puppy
First Name: shaun
Dog #1: Horace
Born: 16 Apr 2014

Post by shaunius »

Lou78 wrote:
shaunius wrote:Heaton Park was very nearly cancelled thanks to these types of rules!!!

Oh crikey, Shaun! I didn't realise it was such a minefield. Talk about "Fun Police"! They are out in force, aren't they these days?!? Good God, it is coming to something when you can't even go on a dog walk without interference.

I think everyone would be happy, as you say, to sign something on the day as a disclaimer. People should be responsible for themselves (families and dogs) without this whole hoo-ha and Health and Safety/blame culture creeping in! We have all had to have a risk assessment this week as there are contract decorators in my work place! We won't be able to leave our front door step soon without filling in a form! =))

Anyway, I will stop ranting now! So glad you sorted it (and thanks Carl!) we are really looking forward to it; hope this weather keeps up! :-bd
There are always fun sponges who try to stop the fun!! But as you say, the blame culture is there and anything public you "put your name to" carrys a bit of risk.

We have so got our fingers crossed for good weather, but if not, its waterproofs and wellies as we dont let the weather stop us from walking :o3 :o3 :o3 :o3 :o3

Getting excited now! :) :)
BeeBee
First Name: Janetta

Post by BeeBee »

shaunius wrote: What I would suggest, going forward for Schnauzerfest either for this year or next, is that each and every event should contain a disclaimer that "attending walks is voluntary, the host is not liable etc etc etc". There has to be some sort of "protection" for hosts if Schnauzerfest are trying to avoid official cover etc! If anything, god forbid, did go wrong on any of the walks, where does the responsibility lie?
There are a few scheduled posts which will go out during the next week to this effect to make it as clear as possible to people that they're on a dog walk as an individual. There are few if any rules as far as Schnazuerfest goes and that's how we intend to keep it, for as soon as it gets burdensome, it becomes impossible for volunteers to do.
Will add a few words now to each walks page. Not that disclaimers are really worth much, but, it's a dog walk, not a mountain hike ;)
Can I ask Shaunius if your NW walks group has investigated the insurance angle yet, as I know you have some large gatherings, wondered if aside from Heaton Park, you'd had any other worries/comments/problems that have required you to look at insurance yet?
Jasmine (RIP) Renae b.01.11.10, sister to Susie-Belle (RIP), Twinkle (RIP), Cerise & Albert Claude puppy farm rescues, my muses
Creator of Schnauzerfest a good thing made possible by 1000s of good people & dogs
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Susie-Be ... 0289434936
http://www.janettaharvey.com/
shaunius
Puppy

Post by shaunius »

BeeBee wrote: Can I ask Shaunius if your NW walks group has investigated the insurance angle yet, as I know you have some large gatherings, wondered if aside from Heaton Park, you'd had any other worries/comments/problems that have required you to look at insurance yet?
We have had various worries/comments and problems :)) :)) :))

We have looked briefly into the insurance side and may have to look into it further again. We thought we were going to have to get some to ensure Heaton Park actually went ahead but managed to sort it out with them. I'm not sure how it would work for a coordination of separate events like Schnauzerfest.

We just try to take a "common sense" approach to ensure our meets are as safe as possible for all involved. As the meets are quite big, we have walkie talkies so the organisers can keep in touch and quickly get the word out for any potential hazards/stray dogs/etc. Walks are planned/routed etc to again ensure safety and try minimise any disruption to other users of the area.

I do get the approach you are taking with keeping rules to a minimum, we try do that too! You just have to be so careful in this day and age. In the main, people are usually supportive and watch on in awe as the masses of beardies descend on where ever we are but we have had comments from park keepers,members of the public etc etc that weren't quite as welcoming.

I think adding at least a few words re participation being voluntary and that organisers are not liable for any issues etc etc is a sensible thing to do, whether it is actually worth anything or not. Its easy to assume common sense from people...... but sometimes the odd reminder is needed. All it takes is one person who is not "on the same page" and there could be trouble so to speak.

We are busy planning things for the walk now anyway so are full steam ahead. We have a few fundraising things planned so hopefully will be able to contribute to the wonderful amount of dosh being raised for the Schnauzerfest charities.
Saint Indy
First Name: Susie
Dog #1: Indy
Born: 06 May 2009

Post by Saint Indy »

How do I add my name to any of the walks? Or do I just turn up? (I'm not on Facebook) the two walks I hope to go on are Frensham Little Pond Surrey and West Wittering, it will be myself, my son and Indy. Thank you
BeeBee

Post by BeeBee »

Saint Indy wrote:How do I add my name to any of the walks? Or do I just turn up? (I'm not on Facebook) the two walks I hope to go on are Frensham Little Pond Surrey and West Wittering, it will be myself, my son and Indy. Thank you
You can just turn up and will be very welcome :)
Jasmine (RIP) Renae b.01.11.10, sister to Susie-Belle (RIP), Twinkle (RIP), Cerise & Albert Claude puppy farm rescues, my muses
Creator of Schnauzerfest a good thing made possible by 1000s of good people & dogs
BeeBee

Post by BeeBee »

shaunius wrote: We are busy planning things for the walk now anyway so are full steam ahead. We have a few fundraising things planned so hopefully will be able to contribute to the wonderful amount of dosh being raised for the Schnauzerfest charities.
Brilliant, it's all getting really exciting now across the walks, so much buzz this year which has been great to see. From the sales of all the various craft things people have been kindly making and selling and buying, the raffle prizes which are incredible, to the hosts stepping up, to the donations already rolling it and so much else. It's superb, really it is, and I'm all for the loose, free but mildly coordinated approach with healthy dollops of common sense thrown in continuing :)
Maty
First Name: Kate
Dog #1: Isaura Lucidus
Born: 10 Aug 2011
Dog #2: Darksprite Finn Mac
Born: 17 Mar 2013

Post by Maty »

BeeBee wrote:
Saint Indy wrote:How do I add my name to any of the walks? Or do I just turn up? (I'm not on Facebook) the two walks I hope to go on are Frensham Little Pond Surrey and West Wittering, it will be myself, my son and Indy. Thank you
You can just turn up and will be very welcome :)
Just thought I would add that you don't need to be a member of Facebook to see the Schnauzerfest page and you may like to see everything else that is going on around the walks as the excitement builds towards Schnauzerfest weekend - https://www.facebook.com/SchnauzerfestUK" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Maty

Rodders the Mini Pup, born 10/08/11, came home on 09/10/11
Creggan the Mini Pup, born 17/03/13, came home on 01/06/13

Proud of my Scottish Heritage
Donald
First Name: Donald
Dog #1: Chester
is a: Black Giant Dog
Born: 01 Mar 2012

Post by Donald »

I have a couple of million worth of public liability insurance. This costs me around 20p a year thanks to my union. This applies outside work too.

And if anyone wants to sue I hope they enjoy dealing with the psychopath lawyers the union employs.

I wouldn't...
Lou78

Post by Lou78 »

HI this is a specific Heaton Park question so don't know if this is in the right place! Does anyone know how long this walk will be? I know it is 11am start but as my mum is coming she wondered how long it will be (in case she can't take the pace!).

I did tell her she could head back when/if she has had enough but....you know mums! I said probably 2 to 3 hours????? Sound about right?
shaunius
Puppy

Post by shaunius »

Lou78 wrote:HI this is a specific Heaton Park question so don't know if this is in the right place! Does anyone know how long this walk will be? I know it is 11am start but as my mum is coming she wondered how long it will be (in case she can't take the pace!).

I did tell her she could head back when/if she has had enough but....you know mums! I said probably 2 to 3 hours????? Sound about right?
Yeah Louise that sounds about right. The walk is about 3 miles but is pretty easy going and, other than crossing one field, it is on properly maintained paths.

The walks usually end up spreading out a bit as people do have different walking speeds and the time absolutely flies by so your mum probably wont realise quite how far we have walked!! :) :) :)
Lou78

Post by Lou78 »

Thanks Shaun. The irony is, she is probably fitter than the rest of us put together so it will be us flagging, not her. Are the paths suitable for a child's buggy? I can't remember. My sister is bringing my nephew (proper family affair!) but i think she is bringing the "off roader" anyway!
shaunius
Puppy

Post by shaunius »

Lou78 wrote:Thanks Shaun. The irony is, she is probably fitter than the rest of us put together so it will be us flagging, not her. Are the paths suitable for a child's buggy? I can't remember. My sister is bringing my nephew (proper family affair!) but i think she is bringing the "off roader" anyway!
Yeah they are fine for a buggy, but we will be crossing a biggish field so the offroader may be needed :)

We were there yesterday for a final recce and Horace didnt move from his bed all night so was obviously worn out!! :D :D
Lou78

Post by Lou78 »

shaunius wrote:and Horace didnt move from his bed all night so was obviously worn out!!
Ha! Olls is always shattered after the group walks! Takes him abiout 3 days to recover! What do they say? A good dog is a tired dog? Or vice versa?!? I can't remember! ok, will tell my sis to get the big wheels out! It is a buggy they take on the beach etc so should be ok!

Aw....I can't wait (can you tell!?!?! ;) ). I keep telling Ollie, "Just you wait til Sunday! You will have so much fun!". He just looks at me with that quizzical little face! :x