What to look for when buying a Giant puppy

The Giant Schnauzer is an example of working breed of dog and has a dense, coarse coat that protects them against the elements and vermin. The Giant Schnauzer is the largest of the three breeds.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
giantmale
Puppy

Re: What to look for when buying a Giant puppy

Post by giantmale »

it also doesn't help when some breders are pulling the others apart and blaming each other for the breed problems. Who would we have puppy buyers believe. stud dogs are blamed for carrying problems and when all is said and done no one actually knows where any of the problems originally came from even though some old timers think they do. This breed is same as all living things they evolve as well as breed.
Mari Obi and Fingal
First Name: Mari
Dog #1: Obi
is a: Black Giant Dog
Dog #2: Fingal

Post by Mari Obi and Fingal »

yes, but the breeders should still remain true to the breed standard and breed healthy dogs fit for the purpose (a working breed dog, not a couch potato) who look like an original Giant. Health and temperament and looks, in that order. Not looks, looks and looks.
Mari

"Life is meaningless without a Giant"
http://obinsivut.suntuubi.com/?cat=11
giantmale
Puppy

Post by giantmale »

exactly i totally agree. a fit for purpose dog every time for me. I dont like the fluffy woofy dogs that are in the ring now. having said that if there isnt any of the correct type in there then the only winners are the fluffy woofys. The breeders can remain true but it still doesnt stop the back biters from causing mayhem in the breed
Caramomo
Site Admin
First Name: Elaine
Dog #1: Cara
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 05 Dec 2006
Dog #2: Momo
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 14 Aug 2009
Dog #3: Molly
Born: 01 Aug 2010

Post by Caramomo »

Buyers should be aware that puppies will inherit genes from BOTH parents, not just one, so it can be very difficult to say the problem came from one side and not the other without proof of some kind, test results or a long, known history in a line. And if that is the case a breeder must be able to justify their reasons for compromising health to the puppy buyers satisfaction,if you don't like the breeders reasons, go elsewhere. Breeders should be breeding for the whole package, good health, great temperament and good conformation.
Cara and Mo, two black mini's and Molly a black & white Heinz 57 all served by Elaine, the cook, poop picker, and chief toy thrower.
I live by the Mini Schnauzer code; when in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!
riiseni

Post by riiseni »

Caramomo wrote:Buyers should be aware that puppies will inherit genes from BOTH parents, not just one, so it can be very difficult to say the problem came from one side and not the other without proof of some kind, test results or a long, known history in a line. And if that is the case a breeder must be able to justify their reasons for compromising health to the puppy buyers satisfaction,if you don't like the breeders reasons, go elsewhere. Breeders should be breeding for the whole package, good health, great temperament and good conformation.
I think the problem is more with first time buyers who don't know a lot about the breed or the unfortunate politics.
If you just talked to A breeder, they are quite unlikely to tell you what health problems they've had in the past.
There are people who are honest, but for some reason honesty doens't go down well in the dog world. I believe a lot of people call it stirring (question)
When I started looking for my new boy, I knew exactly what I wanted, where I wouldn't go and what lines I would keep away from. It wasn't all about health either, the right temperament and coat were important as well. To get this, foreign blood was needed.
If I had known 9 years ago, what I know now, I wouldn't have had a puppy from the litter I had Archie from. I would have gone to a completely different breeder and lines.
But as they say, you live and learn and there's nothing wrong in a 'good old banger' (cool)
giantmale wrote:exactly i totally agree. a fit for purpose dog every time for me. I dont like the fluffy woofy dogs that are in the ring now. having said that if there isnt any of the correct type in there then the only winners are the fluffy woofys. The breeders can remain true but it still doesnt stop the back biters from causing mayhem in the breed
How about when there's 7 correct types in the ring and the ticket still goes for the fluffy one?
How do you explain that one?

In my nightmare scenario, we have a ring full of lifeless, fat, fluffy, stumpy Giants who don't have any go in them and who are scared of their own shadow.
Who in their right mind would like to turn this gorgeous, full of life breed into that?
Giants in my life
Lizzie
Annie
Erik
Archie 2003-2010

Most Friendship is Feigning, most Loving mere Folly.
-Shakespeare-
daisys_mummy

Post by daisys_mummy »

Every thread about giants doesn't have to turn into a rant about the direction the breed is going you know

(cool)
Snazy
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Tara
is a: Black Giant Bitch
Born: 09 Sep 1998
Dog #2: Fria
is a: White Mini Bitch
Born: 15 Apr 2012
Dog #3: Vala
Born: 28 Feb 2012

Post by Snazy »

Oh yes it does!

What do you mean it isn't panto season?
'Pedigree indicates what the animal should be
Conformation indicates what the animal appears to be
But performance indicates what the animal is'

Anonymous

Beanara Minature & Giant Schnauzers
BBG
First Name: Gerri
Dog #1: Rufus
Dog #2: Eva
Dog #3: Blaze
is a: Black Mini Dog

Post by BBG »

Oh no it doesn't!

Coats were generally quite good at yesterdays SKC. Only 2, what I would call really fluffy dogs, I think some at least are trying to get away from soft coats.
Grovelea

Post by Grovelea »

giantmale wrote:it also doesn't help when some breders are pulling the others apart and blaming each other for the breed problems. Who would we have puppy buyers believe. stud dogs are blamed for carrying problems and when all is said and done no one actually knows where any of the problems originally came from even though some old timers think they do. This breed is same as all living things they evolve as well as breed.
There's nothing wrong with being an old timer (tuttut) if you stick with the breed you'll be one, one day!

Since time in memorial the breeders have pulled each other apart, it goes with the territory, As far as hereditary conditions are concerned it is fairly easy to make a conection as long as you know the mode of inheretitance, ie, Dominant or Ressesive,
Many Years ago a breeder had her dog tested and it was found to have an eye condition, the owner of the Father was asked to have her dog eye tested, which she kindly did even tho he was an old man by then, he was found to have the self same condition, which was caused by a Dominant gene and as such it was proved where the condition had started from in that breed line. No-one pulled the owner of the father apart as you put it, we just all took note and then were more diligent with annual eye tests.
If we all went allong producing health ptoblems and then saying " well. it's a living evolving thing," and then carrying on regardless this breed would get in a right old pickle.
Some of these conditions are heartybreaking for the pet owner, so, it's a good thing that breeders strive to improve health.
Passions run high because people care, thankfully
have the courage to stand up for what you believe to be right, even if everyone else is sitting down, as long as you are prepared to be hammered for it.
barnsdalegiants
Puppy

Post by barnsdalegiants »

Sue is right, we can only strive to improve the health of the giant, It is a fantastic breed. i would not be without ours. Giant male is on about breeders blaming each other. "gerra life"
Jewels dad
Puppy

Post by Jewels dad »

As i have just been through the "getting a new puppy " routine here is some useful advice ,that i can pass on. I would reccomend buying or begging the book "puppy training, the guide dog way" within, it has an excellent section on puppy buying and more crucially some tests you can do whilst choosing your pup. I must admit i bought the book after the fact. but i am sure he test would prove very useful if not invaluable.
Canterbury, Kent.
Grovelea

Post by Grovelea »

Going off topic here, I see your in Canterbury, I'm near Ash!
have the courage to stand up for what you believe to be right, even if everyone else is sitting down, as long as you are prepared to be hammered for it.
dannie_kl

Post by dannie_kl »

Jewels dad wrote:As i have just been through the "getting a new puppy " routine here is some useful advice ,that i can pass on. I would reccomend buying or begging the book "puppy training, the guide dog way" within, it has an excellent section on puppy buying and more crucially some tests you can do whilst choosing your pup. I must admit i bought the book after the fact. but i am sure he test would prove very useful if not invaluable.
good advice :)
Jewels dad
Puppy

Post by Jewels dad »

Hi Grovelea
i am near Barham !
Canterbury, Kent.
Grovelea

Post by Grovelea »

Ha Ha! just down the road a bit! small world!