What should you consider before getting a Giant?

The Giant Schnauzer is an example of working breed of dog and has a dense, coarse coat that protects them against the elements and vermin. The Giant Schnauzer is the largest of the three breeds.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
asfjhug

Re: What should you consider before getting a Giant?

Post by asfjhug »

Spot on, Sue!! The breeders are the Guardians of the breed-the breeder responsibility is immense, and I believe they are responsible of the lives they create.
They have the responsibility of maintaining the breed standard, improving the health of the breed, and selling the pups to suitable owners, amongst other things.
I wish more breeders would rise for the responsibility. It is sad that Giant seems to be a fashionable breed at the present, and there are too many puppies available.
BBG
First Name: Gerri
Dog #1: Rufus
is a: Black Giant Dog
Dog #2: Eva
is a: Black Giant Bitch
Dog #3: Blaze
is a: Black Mini Dog

Post by BBG »

Every potential Giant owner should read this from the Giant Schauzer club or America! It's very tongue in cheek but you'll get the gist! Although I think the timings are a bit off!

http://www.giantschnauzerclubofamerica. ... Steps.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kell
First Name: kay
Dog #1: Luath
Born: 16 May 2008
Dog #2: Max
is a: Black Giant Dog
Born: 12 Jul 2007
Dog #3: Kellrainvbow bridge
Born: 10 Oct 1995

Post by kell »

This is so true especially 3. and 4. and the term Tasmanian Devil is true. Luath is this lovely friendly, cuddly and soft dog then all of a sudden someone rocks her boat and the Tasmanian Devil comes out. She did it yesterday coming out the door and my neighbout had the gardener in and was coming out with a tree - woosh Luathh was there and saying "teeth next time" . Luckily he know her and has Munsterlanders so said hi Luath - She was so nose out of joint - "I just made a fool of myself"!!!