Big dog aggression

The Giant Schnauzer is an example of working breed of dog and has a dense, coarse coat that protects them against the elements and vermin. The Giant Schnauzer is the largest of the three breeds.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
Snootie
First Name: Dante

Big dog aggression

Post by Snootie »

Hi,
I have a four year old Giant named Wilson. He's a lovely boy (albeit quite headstrong) and gets along with most dogs, particularly those that aren't a real threat, e.g. very small dogs or old dogs. Where he has a problem is with bigger dogs. Initially it will start with sniffing one another but Wilson soon starts to growl and eventually barks and shows his teeth. He's never bitten another dog but the whole scenario is terrifying and very repeatable, to the point where we just avoid large dogs. I guess it is just Wilson trying to protect the family but it has really put us in many uncomfortable situations. If the other dog submits, e.g. putting his head down, then Wilson relaxes and sometimes plays well with other large dogs. He has particular issues with dogs who have pointy ears and tends to start the growling process much earlier, even before the sniffing. He REALLY has issues with German Shepherds and recently lunged at one during a walk. Again, no biting, but a lot of snarling and growling.

I'm interested whether other owners have seen this type of aggression towards large and/or pointy ear'd dogs and if there are any suggestions to minimize the aggression.
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Re: Big dog aggression

Post by Dawnspell »

Black Labradors were a problem for my previous boy. A few came up friendly but for no apparent reason would then snap at him. He got as though if he saw one he'd avoid it.

There's a male border collie lives near us and twice has been off lead and been aggressive towards Jasper. Now if Jasper even sees this dog from a distance his body language changes instantly. He's also more cautious with other borders because of this.

My point is they make associations between bad experience and something from that event. It can be anything as you say it could just be pointy ears and that can become a predictor of something bad.

You say when he meets a dog they initially sniff. Is this head to head ? If so then what happens?
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Snootie
First Name: Dante

Post by Snootie »

Not head to head. Typically they sniff each others behind briefly. Wilson freezes after a few seconds while the other dog carries on sniffing. He then starts to growl and shows his teeth. Now with pointy eared dogs he gets agitated at first sight and I just take him in a different direction to avoid the inevitable conflict.

The only thing I can imagine is the other dog is giving off some kind of scent, or maybe it is their posture, and if that’s not submissive, then Wilson feels the need to bark him down. I’ve seen him put his paw on another dogs back and literally push him to the ground. Once the other dog becomes submissive, then Wilson moves on. Maybe the pointy ear thing is due to a previous run in with a non-submissive pointy-eared dog. Was just wondering if it is a “Schnauzer thing.”
jacdales
First Name: Jackie
Dog #1: Hamish
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 28 May 2013
Dog #2: Suzi
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Jun 2017
Dog #3: mahri
Born: 20 May 2006

Post by jacdales »

Interesting, I have a mini schnauzer 10kg so a chunky boy he used to be very friendly to all dogs but recently he will sit or sort of crouch when dogs are approaching as if waiting for them to be unpleasant. He will some times have a bottom sniff but sometimes he will bark and launch himself at the other dog. Size does not seem to be an issue. I thought I had it under control and let him meet girls but always said he could be a bit grumpy with males. Most people I meet on walks are happy to accept this. On one walk the lady said oh it's ok this is a bitch and my dog almost immediately snapped and lunged at her. I was suitably embarrassed but could not explain his behaviour. He was attacked by a gypsy dog about 4 year ago well not sure whether the dog was going for me as it ran up the road towards me. I had a puppy on a lead in one hand and Hamish who was about 4 on his lead in the other. As the dog jumped and lunged at me Hamish flew from my side and under the dogs belly. I was kicking the attacker as hard as I could. to distract it. It bit through the plastic clips on the harness and Hamish escaped and ran away a short distance. As quickly as the dog appeared and attacked it turned and ran back into the gypsy camp. He seemed to be unharmed but the incident so this recent behaviour is unusual. I did think lock down has a lot to do with his current behaviour. Avoiding dogs and people for 18 months I think I might be giving of some bad body signals and that with his memory of the attack may be confusing him into trying to protect me from the other dogs. I try to let him have one quick sniff and offer him a treat it has to be a special treat eg hot dog or cheese. He will now walk up to people and sniff them and perhaps let them pat him then comes back and asks for his treat. I'm having some success with the dog issues using this method that and trying to stay calm and not think oh there's a dog he will be grumpy towards it.