7 month Male Giant

The Giant Schnauzer is an example of working breed of dog and has a dense, coarse coat that protects them against the elements and vermin. The Giant Schnauzer is the largest of the three breeds.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
HollieR
Puppy
First Name: Hollie
Dog #1: Kane
is a: Black Giant Dog
Born: 09 Nov 2020

7 month Male Giant

Post by HollieR »

Hi there,

I’m looking for advice on my 7 month old giant.

He’s a lovely boy, VERY boisterous, but very loving and an absolute character!

He picked up toilet training within a few days of having him and he’s slept all night since we brought him home.

We walk him about 45 mins in the morning and probably a little more at night, my husband takes him out into the garden at lunchtime and they play football / throw a ball / just carry on in general! We are still working from home but have got into a routine of a walk in the morning, breakfast, snooze, out at lunchtime for playtime, snooze, walk and then dinner, and he’s perfect during the day!

We have also just completed an introduction to man trailing which he absolutely loves doing so we do this 3-4 times a day to get him using his brain! We also have him to puppy class once a week which he is really taking too, so we do our training exercises during the day too using his clicker (sit, touch, lie down etc). He’s also really good at these and always does as he’s asked!

Overall he’s the perfect pup, apart from the following problem.

Every night from when we get home from our walk, to when we put him to bed, he’s an absolute arsehole.

There’s no other way to describe it.

It’ll start when we sit down to eat at the dining table, he’s always right over with his head in one of our laps, we tell him to lie down (which he does) but he will start nibbling at our dining table or the chairs, purely just for attention. With that we put him through to his room, which is just off the kitchen, and close the door so he is excluded which he hates. We let him out a few minutes later and it just escalates from there, going back and forward.

We then finish dinner, clean up etc, and move through to the lounge where all hell breaks loose!
We discourage him from being on the sofa apart from one section which has a blanket on it for him, we do have a bed in the lounge for him and make sure there are a few toys etc for him / us to play with.
However, all he tries to do is dive on the sofa and dig, when we try to push / pull him off, he will lunge and snap at you, mainly at the hands but depending on how wound up he is he will go for the face.
He never connects, it’s more the threat of it.

I am at my wits end with it, we have tried totally ignoring him, distraction with a toy, restarting his training exercises, taking him outside and throwing a ball, anything at all to distract him, but as soon as he steps foot into the lounge it starts all over again!

Our trainer said to remove him from the room but he’s 36kgs and has realised that I cannot lift him so he throws himself down and becomes a dead (biting) weight.

We have also tried putting him in ‘time out’ through in his room which seems to calm him down but as soon as we let him out it starts again!

This happens every night, and has done for as long as I can remember, it’s exhausting. It will take us a few hours to watch an hours long program and we can totally forget watching a film!

I realise he’s still a puppy and I know the giants are a stubborn breed which require a lot of attention, but is this normal?

He’s not teething anymore, we try to ensure he’s enough exercise and mental stimulation during the day and he still runs wild every night! I know pups have the zoomies but are they supposed to last for 4+ hours?! He does fight sleep something fierce which can result in a toddler temper tantrum so we sometimes have to insist he goes through to his room for a nap, but in the evenings he’s having none of it…

Any advice is greatly appreciated, I’m not even too sure if I’ve explained myself correctly… I’m just at a loss with him.
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: 7 month Male Giant

Post by zeta1454 »

Hi Kane and welcome to the Forum :)

Hollie is going through his adolescence now and, like many adolescents, he is feeling the effects of surging hormones, testing boundaries and just wanting to make his presence felt and have your attention. Training in even the most responsive of dogs can temporarily disappear at this time and it is sadly the most common time for dogs of all sizes and types to be abandoned or surrendered to shelters. Without a doubt, adolescence in dogs is hard work for all the family and especially so when the adolescent dog is a Giant Schnauzer! Much of getting through this time is trying to be patient with him and it sounds as though you are doing all the right things to date.

As regards getting Hollie to settle while you watch TV or have a meal, you could try (if you haven’t already ) getting him to settle with a raw meaty bone to chew on. This is one thing which, with our smaller dogs at any rate, will keep them quiet for hours. Chewing is relaxing for a dog anyway, uses up energy and gnawing at the bone will help to keep his teeth clean as well it may be a distraction which is more fun for him than bothering you.

There is more information on this link re types of bone to feed, which must be raw. Never feed cooked bones to dogs.

https://dogsfirst.ie/raw-faq/how-to-feed-a-dog-bones/

There are other non meat chew items available to buy such as hollow Kong toys which can be filled with some tempting treat but with our dogs nothing compares to a raw bone or other raw meat treat (trachea/ rabbit ears etc. ) Our dogs are also raw fed anyway which I think is better than many dried dog foods as they can be very high on carbohydrates which will add to excess energy and hyperactive behaviour. Check what ingredients are in Hollie’s food for quantities of meat /fish etc. A dog should be getting primarily meat and fish in his diet and very little or no grains / legumes although many vegetables are fine if they are a very small proportion of the diet.

You can purchase a variety of ‘calming’ supplements for dogs too but they may be more of a last resort. Although many are sold for anxious or stressed dogs, those containing B vitamins and other natural substances are designed to increase a sense of relaxation and calm so could also help reduce some hyperactivity. A few examples below but there are many more available:

https://proflax.co.uk/products/calm-and-collected

https://www.dorwest.com/product/scullca ... -and-cats/

https://www.nutravet.co.uk/nutracalm

Hopefully some other Forum members with a Giant Schnauzer in the family may be able to offer some advice from personal experience too :)
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

It sounds as though by the end of the day hes just too wound up and as a puppy cant calm himself down, and probably isnt getting enough rest. Puppies should be sleeping around 20 hours a day.

The tipping point for him could actually be the afternoon walk, it might even be before that with the lunch time activity especially if hes not having a good sleep before the afternoon walk. I would try not having the walk and doing some different activity at home that doesnt get him so wound up. You could do things like scent games that will tire his brain and sniffing is a calming activity for dogs. Scatter feed some of his food outside or inside so he has to find it. Roll up some food in a t towel so he has to work out how to get the food or snuffle mats. Long lasting chews such as pizzles, or lick mats, stuffed kongs, licking and chewing are also calming activities.

When he is wound up taking him out and throwing the ball also will add to his excitement level and will take him even longer to calm down. The toddler tantrum is as youve already guessed due to being overtired so make sure he's getting enough sleep.

He's gorgeous :x Jasper gets that same intense look but hes only 10kg :))
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
HollieR
Puppy

Post by HollieR »

@zeta1454, thank you so much for your reply although it did make me chuckle, I am Hollie, the dog is Kane! I’m much less maintenance and have no issues settling in the evening, especially if there’s a glass of vino involved!
We had him for a check up at the vet the other day and he did say he was just raging with hormones, it’s just figuring out how to keep him calm and obedient with out him thinking he’s being obedient, he definitely does not like being told what to do so trying to outsmart him is the goal!
We do give him kongs which I’ve been filling with fruit, frozen yogurt, a variety of things really! He does enjoy these but as soon as they are done he’s ready for whatever comes next!
I used to give him paddywaks when he was younger and teething and this calmed him down as it took a good hour + to get through it, although I can’t give him them any more as he just about swallows them whole!
I have large wind pipes which he loves but I wasn’t too sure if one a day would be good for him at this age? I should say he’s actually 8 months next week!

@dawnspell - thanks so much, we may be just trying to do too much with him!
It’s hard trying to find the middle ground between not enough exercise / mental stimulation and too much! Guess we just need to try and find a happy medium!
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

HollieR wrote: 08 Jul 2021, 11:38 @zeta1454, thank you so much for your reply although it did make me chuckle, I am Hollie, the dog is Kane! I’m much less maintenance and have no issues settling in the evening, especially if there’s a glass of vino involved!
We had him for a check up at the vet the other day and he did say he was just raging with hormones, it’s just figuring out how to keep him calm and obedient with out him thinking he’s being obedient, he definitely does not like being told what to do so trying to outsmart him is the goal!
We do give him kongs which I’ve been filling with fruit, frozen yogurt, a variety of things really! He does enjoy these but as soon as they are done he’s ready for whatever comes next!
I used to give him paddywaks when he was younger and teething and this calmed him down as it took a good hour + to get through it, although I can’t give him them any more as he just about swallows them whole!
I have large wind pipes which he loves but I wasn’t too sure if one a day would be good for him at this age? I should say he’s actually 8 months next week
Oh no - sorry Hollie! A senior moment on my part there =))

It would be better to mix up the type of bones / treat rather than giving trachea every day. It can work out a bit expensive as well if you have a large dog and they are eating the whole chew. The more substantial bones can be given to gnaw on and them taken away.

I agree with Alison too re trying to find more calming activities to occupy Kane especially as the evening approaches, as the tantrums do sound like a dog that is overtired / over stimulated.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Dawnspell

Post by Dawnspell »

I dont know how you feel about raw but Natures menu do large knuckle bones. Jasper will happily knaw on one of those for up to an hour.
Our first family dog
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
HollieR
Puppy

Post by HollieR »

@dawnspell - our local pets at home have these and the marrow bones but they say for 10 months + do you think he would be alright with them? I’m always cautious in case I upset his stomach! I’d have on issues at all giving them to him I think he’d love them!
To be honest we had him on raw when we first got him and about 4 weeks in he just went clean off it, we’ve now got him on grain free - I did think about trying him back on raw but he’s happy and healthy at the moment so didn’t want to rock the boat! I know people swear by it though!

@zeta1454 don’t worry about it, I actually know more dogs called Hollie than I do people!
Dawnspell

Post by Dawnspell »

Hes a big dog and got all his adult teeth so I cant see why the knuckle bone would be a problem, but if youre not sure then wait. They tend to knaw and nibble bits rather than eating loads. They dont have a great deal of flesh on them. Let him have a go on it once hes had some take it away and you can re freeze and give it again in a day or two so you can see how his digestion is. I generally let Jasper have it then put in a carrier bag in the fridge then he can keep having it for a few days.

I havent tried their marrow bones so I cant really make a comment, but marrow is very rich.

I put Jasper on raw complete diet as a puppy he just really didnt like it. He does like lamb ribs, necks, knuckle bones and beef ribs, the ones for humans with lots of meat on and thats his limit for eating raw. He wont go anywhere near raw chicken of any kind :))
Our first family dog
HugoBrum
First Name: Doug
Dog #1: Hugo
Born: 28 Feb 2017
Dog #2: Nina
is a: Black Giant Bitch
Born: 29 Nov 2019

Post by HugoBrum »

Some good sound advice and thoughts be given there. Yes, Giant Schnauzers especially young ones can get over active and nowsty as I would suggest but it is simply he is not getting enough rest. Another way of putting it, how do you feel, if you do not get enough rest and you are hyper too?

May be one good walk a day is best option (approx hour or so) rather than the two suggested. However how about having the second walk much later especially when he goes into hyper active mode therefore on his return, he goes to bed for the night (swap the routine around)?

Our Hugo when younger always loved jumping onto the sofa, leather reclining chair, better still if wife was sitting in it too (ouch) but eventually he got better by way of giving him one part of the sofa while I sat at the other end! A compromise I suppose.

One thing I leant about Hugo (Giant Schnauzers in general), they are good thinking dogs and always taking note of numerous things especially for a later occasion, whether 5 mins, a couple of hours or the following day. The key you got to remember what you been doing and staying one step ahead of him. Most times it worked but not always but it was fun never the less. That what I liked about Hugo, kept me and wife on our toes.

One thing for certain Giant Schnauzers never get bored, they always find something to do especially if not in their pen and you are not looking! Give you one example the magnetic seal on a fridge door! We had to replace one because he destroyed it. Oh yes chewing electric cable's, dragging things off the kitchen units when you are not looking, spare cushions, the list is endless. However, as he got older, he got better but what a character he was - part of the joys of having a Giant Schnauzer. :-bd

Give yourself time and lots of patience, you will find things get better and you will get there! Remember, it is like havig a child except worst sometimes but its fun (mostly) and you would not change it for the world! =))
Nina But never forget Hugo.
My owners are Doug and Glynis
HollieR
Puppy

Post by HollieR »

Hi everyone!

I just wanted to say a massive THANK YOU to you all for your advice!

We’ve tried a mixture of everything and we’ve had, not one, not two, but three calm evenings!! Hubby even managed to watch the entire Euros final without any incident! It’s not been entirely drama free, but absolutely nothing like it’s been previously!

On a lunchtime, instead of having a mad half hour (or hour), hubby has been doing some loose lead walking round the garden and our various training exercises.
We’ve swapped our after work walk (5-6ish) to an after dinner walk (7-8ish) and we also got him a knuckle joint which he only gets through in the lounge so he’s now looking forward to coming through and lying down with it!

I’ve ordered him some raw bits and pieces to try so we will see how that goes!
Schnauzerluv
First Name: Kat
Dog #1: Ozzy
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 30 Jul 2020
Dog #2: Lily
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 12 Aug 2022

Post by Schnauzerluv »

They say 5 mins of mental excersise is equivalent to 30 mins of straight physical exercise. You could hike 3hrs a day with your dog and all you'd create is a fit athlete who never tires.

Just had to say how magnificent your giant is, I just love that pic!
Dawnspell

Post by Dawnspell »

That's great news your seeing results so quick, shows he likes a bit of calm in his life. Thanks for giving feed back
Our first family dog