Fingers and toes crossed

If you have recently taken in a rescue Schnauzer or rehomed a Schnauzer and need some advice, then please feel free to ask here. Whether it be about integrating your new dog into your home, health or behavioural issues, someone is sure to be able to help.
Lindalex2
Puppy
First Name: Linda

Fingers and toes crossed

Post by Lindalex2 »

Soooooo we’ve applied to adopt a mini ... now we wait.
Learning to walk with toes crossed will keep me focussing until we hear!
Any additional crossing fingers is welcome ...

Smiles and gulps 🙃
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: Fingers and toes crossed

Post by zeta1454 »

Good luck :-)
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Riesen16
First Name: Gillian
Dog #1: Enya von Amber
is a: P/S Giant Bitch
Born: 30 Sep 2015

Post by Riesen16 »

I'm sure you will have as much fun with your mini as we have with our maxi

Gill and Enya
mikegoodson1
First Name: Mike
Dog #1: Oscar
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 17 Oct 2015
Dog #2: Sasha
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Born: 23 Sep 2017

Post by mikegoodson1 »

Good luck, I think that's a great thing to do, to adopt a dog that may not have had a great start in life. I guess it may also have been used to breed dogs and I know that they are very well looked after. Either way, it's great, good luck!
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

Good luck. Tell us more about him/her and don't forget photos of you have any
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Lindalex2
Puppy

Re: Fingers and toes crossed- boohoo

Post by Lindalex2 »

Thank you all - happy / sad. Bramble has a home visit with another family so not to be 😢

Happy that she will go to a loving home and have fun. We’re thinking it’s perhaps a younger couple but that’s of course just guessing.

We did think long and hard before applying as she’s 2 1/2 so at 66, I may be considered too old for a younger pooch. (I’m hail and hearty, swim 15-20 lengths a day etc).
We had considered our future planning with care...
We love Schnauzers so will keep our eyes peeled. Meantime I will enjoy your updates and being part of a great forum.
Warm wishes x
Lindalex2
Puppy

Post by Lindalex2 »

Hi everyone- I did write an update but heavens knows what I’ve done! Happy / sad as we were unsuccessful. Admiration for the Rescue concerned though and the pooch will be off (hopefully) to her new forever home soon. Ive been reading the topic about Many Tears Rescue- oh boy ...
Never fails to hearten me reading about dogs helping one another. There are some super tips and pointers from comments - so lots to consider as we continue on our journey to our next mini.
Meantime enjoying your exploits and adventures.
Warm wishes x
mikegoodson1
First Name: Mike
Dog #1: Oscar
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 17 Oct 2015
Dog #2: Sasha
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Born: 23 Sep 2017

Post by mikegoodson1 »

Sorry to hear you were not chosen this time around but I'm sure you will be successful soon :-bd
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Ah disappointing but there must be a little one out there just waiting for you. I am assume you are on the schnauzer rescue lists. Also, a real long shot but occasionally show breeders do give up dogs for adoption so they can increase their showing numbers. If you have any breeders near you then it might well be worth talking to them. Otto's father was adopted to a friend of the breeder at the age of 2 because he didn't like being in the show ring, so it does happen. Good luck.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

Sorry to hear that. Hope you're lucky soon
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
zeta1454

Post by zeta1454 »

Sorry to hear that it didn't work out for you. Did the organisation give you any reasons for why you were not suitable as it can be difficult if you are having to speculate. It could just be that another family seemed a better match but some feedback could stop you worrying that it is your age. I would not have expected 66 to be too old for sure if you are fit and well!

Without wanting to cause distress, I do recall that you mentioned Monty having seizures not too long ago and wonder whether his age /health might have been a concern? I only say this as, in the past when we were looking at families to adopt one of our home bred puppies, we would have had reservations if a family had a baby, or a very young child, or anyone (human or animal) that was unwell - any situation which might mean they could not, at least in the short term. give almost total commitment to the puppy and I could see a similar concern for a rescue dog that, at least initially will need intensive care / training / settling in to a new home.

I am just speculating of course and I do think it would be worth checking with the organisation as to any reason they could give you to set your mind at rest and I agree with Julie that the breed rescue organisations are another place you could try:

https://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/servic ... breed=4096

Lindalex2
Puppy

Post by Lindalex2 »

Hi everyone- sorry been hit with a virus so just resurfacing.. thank you for your supportive and informative posts which are much appreciated. X
Sad response first - zeta1454- thanks for asking about my gorgeous boy Monty. Sadly we had to take that awful decision on 23rd August to say our heart breaking farewell. He had a week after his diagnosis but the last 48 hours were showing it was time. Amazing their resilience, he would emerge from the episode, lick my leg to say thanks then after a while be playing... he was held and loved to the end and yes my heart is breaking writing this.
We wouldn’t have introduced another dog once we knew he was poorly rather than slowing down. I completely agree with all your comments about focus, particularly when settling in.
zeta1454

Post by zeta1454 »

Lindalex2 wrote: 10 Sep 2019, 02:42 Hi everyone- sorry been hit with a virus so just resurfacing.. thank you for your supportive and informative posts which are much appreciated. X
Sad response first - zeta1454- thanks for asking about my gorgeous boy Monty. Sadly we had to take that awful decision on 23rd August to say our heart breaking farewell. He had a week after his diagnosis but the last 48 hours were showing it was time. Amazing their resilience, he would emerge from the episode, lick my leg to say thanks then after a while be playing... he was held and loved to the end and yes my heart is breaking writing this.
We wouldn’t have introduced another dog once we knew he was poorly rather than slowing down. I completely agree with all your comments about focus, particularly when settling in.
So sad to hear about Monty. Letting a dog go, even when you know it is the right decision, is so emotionally draining and even physically painful. I do feel for you and send hugs to you and the family :ymhug:

Lindalex2
Puppy

Post by Lindalex2 »

Thank you- very much appreciated xx