Advice needed re New Rescue Schnauzer

If you have recently taken in a rescue Schnauzer or rehomed a Schnauzer and need some advice, then please feel free to ask here. Whether it be about integrating your new dog into your home, health or behavioural issues, someone is sure to be able to help.
Roger Girling
First Name: Roger

Advice needed re New Rescue Schnauzer

Post by Roger Girling »

Good afternoon.
I wanted to try and get some advice on a rescue Schnauzer that I got last Thursday.
He is very anxious as he doesnt know us and we haven’t left him very much at the moment.
Any tips or pointers on making sure he does not get anxious or stressed when we go out
although most of the time we will be around.
We have left him about 10 minute just to check how he is and he barked.
My last Rescue was completely the opposite and never seemed that bothered.
He just gave Me the Schnauzer look when I returned.
Our new rescue follows us everywhere and looks anxious.
I am really hoping that it is just a settling in period and that he will gradually be ok but
any tips or pointes would be appreciated.
Kind regards
Roger
Robin black mini
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Robin
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Dec 2014
Dog #2: Stanley st poodle
Born: 24 Nov 2012

Re: Advice needed re New Rescue Schnauzer

Post by Robin black mini »

Hi Roger .welcome to the forum.
More details on your dog will help..size? Age ? Former history?

As you say it's early days for the little guy...he's anxious ,in upheaval and doesn't know what's going on..
So give him a routine..
If you can,feed and a hour later walk him. He will get into the first routine with his primal needs satisfied..
He will be tired and more accepting of being left.
Don't go into overkill re affection straight away.. ...get him to be part of the family but try to keep perspective re leaving him when you have to go out .
Give him a safe contained place with his bed,water and a chew toy...l like the kitchen with a safety gate ,for this.
Remember that they are all different..don't expect him to be like your former dog...they are a barking breed,but you should find he will bark less as he settles in...(or maybe not LOL)
Try to get him out and about...he will get tired with new stimuli too..and with you as his point of reference,things should get better as he finds his routine.
I believe you should treat the rescue as if this his his first day of a new life......no remorse for the past and rejoice in his future...positivity will carry him forward ..good luck and well done for rescuing him.
mikegoodson1
First Name: Mike
Dog #1: Oscar
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 17 Oct 2015
Dog #2: Sasha
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Born: 23 Sep 2017

Post by mikegoodson1 »

Hi Roger,

I have only limited experience of homing a rescue dog some 25 or so years ago and to be honest, there wasn't the support then that there is now. Would it help to find out how your boy was treated (or mis-treated)? I ask because our Schnauzers that we have had from puppies, also follow us around everywhere, so that may just be a breed trait.

It may be that your boy was left abandoned for hours or even days on end, hence his nervousness around thinking you will do the same, so he wants to be with you.

It's only been a week, so he needs to get used to his new home too, bless him. Imagine the upheaval for him? I'm sure that over time he will learn to trust you and know that if you do go out, you always come back after a short time. Love, affection and play break down so many barriers with our pooches, patience too :)

Hopefully all will go well and we look forward to hearing more about him and seeing some pics; what is his name?

Good luck.
Mike
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Roger, never had a rescue, poor little guy but fantastic that he has found you. Routine routine and let that trust and confidence build, I don't think it will take too long. :)
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
Schnauzer Sam
First Name: Sam
Dog #1: Rosie
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 06 Jul 2017
Dog #2: Edie
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 11 Jun 2018

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

Roger,

Welcome to you and your rescue. Do you know what his background was? How did he come available for rescue?

I agree with Jo's post. He's probably a bit anxious and will benefit from knowing that all his basic needs will be provided by you. He just needs to get into a new routine (and that should include leaving him alone for short periods) and I'm sure that, in time, he'll realise that he's at his forever home and will bond fully with all of the family.

With Rosie, I got her used to "cues" that she was going to be left for a while. I'd put my coat on and go out of the house to the car and come back a minute or so later and build up the time. Each time I'd leave a small treat for her building up to a toy that she has to push around with her nose or bat with her paw to get the treat. They just need to be convinced that you're coming back :)

I'm sure with a bit of effort (and perhaps patience) you'll get there.
Country Girl at Heart (Molly) 8 April 2003 - 22 December 2018

You're never alone when you own a schnauzer

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Rosie-and-E ... 872588622/