Rehome help needed

If you have recently taken in a rescue Schnauzer or rehomed a Schnauzer and need some advice, then please feel free to ask here. Whether it be about integrating your new dog into your home, health or behavioural issues, someone is sure to be able to help.
Mdee
Puppy
First Name: Mandy

Rehome help needed

Post by Mdee »

So we rehoused a female schnauzer from a breeder very recently. She’s lovely and settling in very well. Although she happily follows me into the garden she very rarely toilets outside and prefers the quiet and darkness of the kitchen floor once everyone is in bed. She has only just begun to accept treats so have had little in the way of rewards when on the rare occasion she has been to the toilet outside. Even if I stay outside with her a while she waits until back inside to then do her business on the kitchen floor. She is yet to go on proper dog walks as is very scared out of the garden and isn’t yet used to a lead and just shakes and stands still when one is attached to her. We are working on this slowly.
My other issue is that now there is a bit of rivalry for my attention between our resident schnauzer and the one we have just rehomed. I have obviously given the new schnauzer a lot of attention as I wanted her to feel loved but she is now my shadow and wards off my other schnauzer who we have had for 2 years since he was a puppy. I don’t want this to develop into a major issue. Any advice greatly appreciated.
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Re: Rehome help needed

Post by Dawnspell »

I would suggest that you introduce some form of gated community and your presence doesnt mean they have access to you. This can be something as simple as being in a crate with you still in the room, stair gates so they can spend time apart from each other. Your rehome will definitely benefit from crate training if she isnt already it will give her a place of security since her confidence is low. This could also be the start of separation issues with your rehome if shes becoming so attached to you, so better to sort it now.

As for toilet training I would start as though she was an 8 week old pup, again the crate will help with this so she doesnt get the opportunity to toilet inside the house.
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Mdee
Puppy
First Name: Mandy

Re: Rehome help needed

Post by Mdee »

Thank you
I have got another crate and now that she is accepting treats I can now reward her for going in her crate. We have a baby gate on the kitchen and she spends some time in there when i am sat on the sofa in full view but she’s unable to get to me.