Spring rash

Suffering from a bee sting, runny tummy, cut into the nail quick or had a little mishap around the house, then you can find some friendly advice here on how to deal with life's little accidents and help your dog recover quickly or calm them down, so you can get them to the vet. If in any doubt about an illness or injury, please contact your vet as soon as possible.
Forum rules
All the information provided in the First Aid section is gathered from the collective experience of our members and is provided for information purposes only. The advice contained within this section is not a substitute for professional veterinary advice, care, diagnosis or treatment. Each dog is different and may react differently to the recommended first aid advice. If you suspect your pet has a medical condition, you should consult your vet as soon as possible. You use this First Aid advice entirely at your own risk. If in doubt, speak to your Vet.
Schnauzerluv
First Name: Kat
Dog #1: Ozzy
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 30 Jul 2020
Dog #2: Lily
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 12 Aug 2022

Spring rash

Post by Schnauzerluv »

I noticed Ozzy had a couple bumps on the inside of his rear left leg near his groin area. We actually took at look (I think it was Friday night), couldn't see much but thought he had a scratch/scar tissue or something. Then Sunday evening, it felt like there was more, so I took another look and got pics. This time I could see what looked like pus filled bumps and previous crusty blistering. But admittedly I really don't know what i'm looking at.

I got an appointment in two weeks (first available spot) and sent the images via email, but I won't get a reply back for a few days either.

Just throwing it out there if anyone has seen something similar before.

The vet tech suggested a cone or pyjama, but he's not licking at it. He was last night (Sunday) before bed, but i'll keep him from licking it from now on.

Any suggestions on what to do for now?
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: Spring rash

Post by zeta1454 »

It could be Folliculitis which is an infection of the hair follicles often caused by bacteria which ‘invade’ areas of skin where the protective barrier is broken. If it is that, there are many different causes and your vet will most likely do a skin scrape to establish the cause and then treat it. Until you get a diagnosis I would just try to keep the area clean and stop Ozzy from licking at it but don’t use any harsh treatments on the area. Once you have a diagnosis there may be other options to help alongside any medication from the vet.

Leucillin is a safe and effective natural antiseptic product if you want to keep the skin clean without constant bathing:

https://www.leucillin.co.uk/#googtrans(en|en)
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Schnauzerluv
First Name: Kat
Dog #1: Ozzy
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 30 Jul 2020
Dog #2: Lily
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 12 Aug 2022

Re: Spring rash

Post by Schnauzerluv »

Thanks so much, I was googling and it seemed like Folliculitis or some other bacterial infection. I think he had a cut there at one time, he is forever getting into the brush and zooming everywhere. So it makes sense it's Folliculitis if he scraped himself and then it became infected given the area.

Thanks for the link on leucillin. It's very pricey to ship in, and I won't get it until the 28th at the minimum, but i'll get some for another time if need arises.

Ok, I haven't put anything on it, I haven't even cleaned it, trying to keep the area dry. But I will rinse it with cold water I guess. Luckily he is not messing with it, so I guess wait and see. Thanks very much for your help.