Anyone See This Before - 12yo Mini - Bulge below Anus

Suffering from a bee sting, runny tummy, cut into the nail quick or had a little mishap around the house, then you can find some friendly advice here on how to deal with life's little accidents and help your dog recover quickly or calm them down, so you can get them to the vet. If in any doubt about an illness or injury, please contact your vet as soon as possible.
Forum rules
All the information provided in the First Aid section is gathered from the collective experience of our members and is provided for information purposes only. The advice contained within this section is not a substitute for professional veterinary advice, care, diagnosis or treatment. Each dog is different and may react differently to the recommended first aid advice. If you suspect your pet has a medical condition, you should consult your vet as soon as possible. You use this First Aid advice entirely at your own risk. If in doubt, speak to your Vet.
mustluvschnauzers
First Name: Titus

Anyone See This Before - 12yo Mini - Bulge below Anus

Post by mustluvschnauzers »

Curious if anyone has seen this before in their mini schnauzer. Titus is 12/yo male and noticed this is happening to him more. He seems to be uncomfortable and his anus itself puckers. Right underneath there is this bulge that extends out but not all the time. He is neutered since he was a year old. I took him to vet and did full blood profile and they checked for hernia, everything was fine. It seems to bother him when it is happening and then it goes down. They also checked to see if he had any issues with his anal sacs and the vet said he didn't find anything. Overall he is eating normal. When it is happening he seems to be bothered when I try to pet him on the top of his back near his tail.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2da2xz5b3g4z8 ... e.jpg?dl=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Re: Anyone See This Before - 12yo Mini - Bulge below Anus

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Hi, no never seen or heard of anything like that. In the meantime, I would be inclined to ask the vet for some anti inflammatory pain killers so that at least it takes the discomfort away and maybe helps with it getting back to normal quicker. Good luck
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
Oscar 12345
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Another thought. Check out the images here and see if any are similar, if you are lucky there may be some info on it for you.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=bulge ... 80&bih=671" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
Robin black mini
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Robin
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Dec 2014
Dog #2: Stanley st poodle
Born: 24 Nov 2012

Post by Robin black mini »

Given his age I'd want to have his prostate checked.
In addition...
Looking at the photo it could be a full anal gland ,given that the bump " comes and goes" as you say..when perhaps it self empties,if the diet is right..roughage in the diet will definitely help this dog.

I have to empty my girls anal glands on occasion,internally ,and they are much deeper seated than in previous dogs I've had...so,
Looking at the swelling on your photo,it does correspond to the anal gland onthe left hand side of the dog,facing his hind end...
You really need a vet to give the dog an internal examination and give a diagnosis...you shouldn't accept antibiotics or antiinflammatory drugs if he doesn't specify the cause..
If the gland repeatedly infects,I have a course of treatment to recommend,but you first need a diagnosis. Do not be talked into surgical removal of anal glands,as it's a traumatic surgery and can result in an incontinent dog.
Bushybrows

Post by Bushybrows »

Hi, I took my young black boy to the vets a few years ago as he had a similar lump, in the same place. The lump came and went, the only difference was that it never bothered him, I was just worried as the lump was sometimes quite big. He was my first male schnauzer. The vet told me the lump was the base of his penis and as he was uncastrated when he was more excited, the lump grew! I understand it is different with your dog, but it may be an issues with the base of his penis.
Just a thought.
Robin black mini
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Robin
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Dec 2014
Dog #2: Stanley st poodle
Born: 24 Nov 2012

Post by Robin black mini »

Bushy brows..the lumps you describe are on the base of the dogs penis ..they are the bulbous glands that can swell and cause minor issues for the dog ,if he gets in an excited state(penile block)...
...but the swellings here are are in a completely different area in this the poster'sdog....his dog's swelling is below the anal area...I'd definitely get a recheck at the vets..this could be as simple as anal gland issues ,prostate problems. Etc. but really needs a professional dagnosis.