New puppy rejection advice

Everything you need to know about bringing a puppy into your life starts here. How to find that Schnauzer puppy, what to look for in a breeder, early care, training and feeding are all covered. We even cover Schnauzer crocodile teeth.
Forum rules
Please do not discuss breeders or raise issues concerning breeders on the forum. This has created problems in the past and many breeders are not members and unable to defend any claim you may make.
Grace44
Puppy
First Name: Karen
Dog #1: Pepper
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 28 Oct 2014
Dog #2: Darcy
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 26 Jul 2021

New puppy rejection advice

Post by Grace44 »

Hi recently joined the forum after arrival of new puppy. We are struggling with our older ms (aged 6) who is very unhappy since his arrival. We have tried to give them both time on their own and also together, with lots of praise and encouragement. We knew it might be difficult for a few days as the older one has had all out love and attention for along time. She ignores the puppy and goes to any other room to be apart form him. She still enjoys going on walks and playing ball in the garden but the rest of the time its just like she she has changed personality altogether. It's really distressing us to see her like this and we are worried that she may never accept the puppy. We had hoped he would be a companion for her but at the moment all we appear to have done is made life worse for all 4 of us. Advice from friends has been along the lines of I am sure she will come around. However I am worried this won't happen, and we have a duty towards the puppy in that if we have to return him its not fair to leave it a lot longer. We just don't know what to do for the best and wondered if anyone had had similar problems and any advice to offer us. :o3
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: New puppy rejection advice

Post by zeta1454 »

Hi Karen, I am pretty sure that at least one other Forum member not too long ago, did go through something similar and may be able to offer you some support with this if they see your post.

From experience over many years now with dogs and puppies, I would say that it is always unpredictable how a resident dog will initially react to the introduction of a new puppy but it is rare for two dogs sharing a household never to get on with each other in the future. Some dogs are unsure or lacking confidence with very young puppies and, because they don’t know how to interact with them, may withdraw from contact but, as the puppy matures into a young dog and can join in games and activities, they can become best buddies.

It is natural to have the expectation that the puppy and your resident dog will hit it off at once but don’t despair if it hasn’t worked out that way to date. I can understand your anxiety about waiting a long time and then thinking you should return the puppy but I would not make that decision too quickly unless you are really unable to cope with the situation. I am sure that you are already doing this, but just keep to your usual routines with Pepper as much as possible, don’t try to force her into interacting with Darcy but give her the opportunity to see her and get to know her better from a distance initially. If you are using a crate or playpen with Darcy, let Pepper see her in there and she may go up to sniff her eventually and gradually become accustomed to her presence without feeling pressured to interact with her. She may see you playing with Darcy and decide she would like to join in or she may see Darcy playing a game with a toy and think it fun to participate but just let it happen naturally and don’t worry if it doesn’t happen for a while.

Puppies can be excitable, zooming around, and generally acting much differently to a mature dog and it can take time for the latter to become relaxed with a much younger ‘pack member’. Always let Pepper have an ‘escape route’ or safe place where she can get away if she wants to and just let her become used to Darcy in her own time and I am sure things will work out OK.

It is of course only possible to give advice in a general way as individual temperament and character do come into this but we have never had a situation over the past 25 years and (in that time) 16 dogs where a new puppy is not accepted by other resident dogs. Although our situation is slightly different in having so many, it is still the case that dogs are social creatures and hard-wired to live in a harmonious pack and it is unlikely that a resident dog will in the long term ‘reject’ a new puppy in the family.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Grace44
Puppy
First Name: Karen
Dog #1: Pepper
Born: 28 Oct 2014
Dog #2: Darcy
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 26 Jul 2021

Re: New puppy rejection advice

Post by Grace44 »

Hi Leigh, thank you for the advice, I have found the older post which is in fact identical to our situation so have messaged them to see what happened. I think Pepper also lacks confidence with the puppy as you suggested- I hadn't really though about that, and we are doing all the things you mentioned. I think having one dog for 6 years (and it is our first dog) you develop such a close bond that you have an overriding fear that that bond will be spoilt or not the same and it may be that Pepper picks up on some of our anxiety too. What I couldn't bear is for her to be unhappy and it would be that fact that would make me consider returning the puppy.