Why does she pee when I leave her for 5 mins?

Everything you need to know about bringing a puppy into your life starts here. How to find that Schnauzer puppy, what to look for in a breeder, early care, training and feeding are all covered. We even cover Schnauzer crocodile teeth.
Forum rules
Please do not discuss breeders or raise issues concerning breeders on the forum. This has created problems in the past and many breeders are not members and unable to defend any claim you may make.
sbsmiths
First Name: Jane
Dog #1: Gregory
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 17 Jul 2006
Dog #2: Alfie
Born: 0- 0-2006

Why does she pee when I leave her for 5 mins?

Post by sbsmiths »

Our adorable 12 week old is baffling me. I have been off work and have spent every day with her for the last 4 weeks devoting my time to house training her. I’m now working from home. A lot of the time, with the nice weather, I’ve had the French doors to the garden open and she and our old boy have been in and out, sometimes with me, other times on their own. She is the perfect pup through the night going from 10pm till 6am BUT if I leave them in the kitchen, sometimes I’ll pop her her pen, and pop upstairs for 5 mins, she will pee. I know she would have done one in the garden within the last hour. The only way to avoid this is to put her in her crate which I don’t want to do. My question is: have I created a needy pup by spending too much time with her and who is worried about being left and how can I address this?
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: Why does she pee when I leave her for 5 mins?

Post by zeta1454 »

Hi Jane - I think you have answered your question to some extent in that now (as with so many people with puppies in lockdown) you have a puppy that is so used to having you there that she is not prepared to cope with being left. It is not necessarily that she has become a ‘needy pup’ but you will have to work on getting her used to a routine of being without you for periods of time. As would have been the case pre-pandemic restrictions, puppies need to be gradually trained to settle for short periods of just a few minutes, building up to longer as they cope with time without you there.

Peeing when you leave could be anxiety or just a protest at being left and in my experience there is no doubt that some dogs will demonstrate their disapproval of something we humans have done to them by pee-ing or poo-ing in places we don’t want them to. The floor is probably the least bad as with our affens we have had poo in shoes and pee on pillows!

I think you do just need to start a new routine of regularly leaving her for very short periods through the day, building up to longer. As she is still young, I would invest in a playpen if you haven’t got one or separate off part of the kitchen to create a smaller space where your puppy can have her bed, safe chew toys etc. and use this as her settle area for periods every day - even at times when you are home. This way if she does pee when you go out, at least it is in one place so easier to clean up but it may help to resolve this issue in time.

Although given the current circumstances it can be most relaxing and enjoyable to allow pups and dogs to wander freely in the house and garden, it is vital with puppies in particular that they know there are times when they settle in a safe enclosed place that gives more freedom than the crate but does encourage them to sleep and relax until it is time to interact with the family again. With our first three mini schnauzers once they were over the very young puppy stage, we would leave them in their bedroom when we went out. It took very little time to train them to go upstairs to their room, be given a biscuit and settle while we were out. Much of training is just creating a routine and, as long as it is consistent, dogs will quickly respond as you want and tasty rewards help too :)
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Schnauzerluv
First Name: Kat
Dog #1: Ozzy
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 30 Jul 2020
Dog #2: Lily
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 12 Aug 2022

Post by Schnauzerluv »

I have a covid pup and I feel you with training them to be ok with you leaving. I am still in the process of training him for it. My strategy is to slowly build him up to being alone as suggested above.

At first he would freak (pacing around the door franctically, whining and howling). So I had to take it much slower, yoyoing in and out the door about 10 times a day to get him accustomed to seeing me go out the front door without him. Then I started staying out for 2 minutes. I am looking for no reaction, if at any point he whines, I have moved too quickly. Gradually I increased the time I was out by a couple minutes. I am now at the point I leave for 15-20 minutes. It took a long gradual time as he is now almost 9 months old, but completely worth all the effort for the long run to have Ozzy feeling calm when he is at home alone. I didn't think he'd ever be ok with us leaving based on how he freaked at first, but with patience and a good attitude, it really works!
sbsmiths
First Name: Jane
Dog #1: Gregory
Born: 17 Jul 2006
Dog #2: Alfie
Born: 0- 0-2006

Post by sbsmiths »

Thank you both for your replies. She does have a playpen which I use a lot, especially to give our old boy respite. We are lucky that we have another so shes never totally on her own. I have started leaving for short periods e.g. I was out for an hour first thing today collecting my click & collect and she hadn’t pee’d. It’s very difficult when I work from home as my workspace is within eyesight (due WiFi signal). Just need to persevere. Thanks guys x