White miniature schnauzer

Everything you need to know about bringing a puppy into your life starts here. How to find that Schnauzer puppy, what to look for in a breeder, early care, training and feeding are all covered. We even cover Schnauzer crocodile teeth.
Forum rules
Please do not discuss breeders or raise issues concerning breeders on the forum. This has created problems in the past and many breeders are not members and unable to defend any claim you may make.
Mummyof2
First Name: Hak

White miniature schnauzer

Post by Mummyof2 »

We already have a S/p miniature schnauzer and are looking to get a puppy. We have been offered either a white or s/p one. Our preference is s/p as obviously it’s what we know and the same as our dog but open to the idea of a white too. We just don’t know anything about them. The breeder says they are more chilled in temperament. Anyone know anything about white ones- whether there are different health or temperament Issues ? Apparently white schnauzers were the purest until they were bred with pinschers in the 1800’s to get s/p!
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Re: White miniature schnauzer

Post by Dawnspell »

Hi and welcome
I've only had whites but both have been completely different personalities, which is common across the breed no matter what colour. There are no health issues with whites as there are with some other whites in breeds eg deafness. Both of mine have been over sized which I understand is more likely in whites than other colours but a lot of the other colours seem to be leaning towards being over sized now a days. Not a problem if youre not showing them.

The breeder we got Jasper from bred exclusively white and black and silver. I asked her about any differences. She said the black and silvers are more laid back and more likely to chill, the whites are more active and like a job to do. When awake Jasper definitely likes mental games/puzzles, and stimulation there is no ignoring Jasper :)) When resting he is a total cuddle bunny, always likes to have some part of him touching you. Barney liked to work for his food putting it in puzzle toys etc he wouldnt just eat from a bowl that was boring. He also loved human company and followed me everywhere.

A miniature schnauzer litter was recorded in the first official stud book in 1888 from a female called Findel. There were 8 in the litter
3 Black
3 Wheaten (White)
1 Black and tan (Black and silver)
1 Pepper and salt.

If you dont like attention from other people asking about your dog, or when carrying around as a pup having to tell everyone its a schnauzer not a westie, dont get a white =)) There is hardly a day I dont get asked about Jasper. We didnt intend getting a white when we got Barney we were actually on a list with another breeder for P&S but no litters due. Barneys litter came up in the meantime and the rest is history. We lost Barney at a young age and got Jasper mainly because he shared a lot of relatives with Barney which we liked the idea of, not because of his colour. I would get another white but I've always fancied a Black and Silver :D
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Mummyof2
First Name: Hak

Post by Mummyof2 »

Thank you so much that is incredibly kind of you to reply in such detail. So sorry to hear you lost Barney. 😢
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

Welcome to the Forum :)

Re the history to add to the specific information given by Alison above re the origins of the miniature schnauzer. It is hard to say for certain and there are those who believe the miniature schnauzer was created simply by repeat breeding of small standards (who are either pepper and salt or black) but there was, without a doubt, cross breeding being carried out in the 19th century in kennels who bred both standard schnauzers and other small breeds such as the affenpinscher and poodles. In the 1930s there was briefly an attempt to describe the miniature schnauzer as an “Affenschnauz” and there were litters of puppies produced at that time where pups were randomly registered as either affenpinschers or schnauzers depending on which breed the breeder thought they most resembled! There is a link here with more information:

viewtopic.php?t=19292

Although, as Alison points out, the wheaten or yellow colouring (gelb) did appear in early miniature schnauzer breeding this is just one of several colours that appeared, no doubt due to crossing with other breeds in the early days although I have never heard of the idea that white schnauzers were bred with pinschers to get the pepper and salt colouring. I have read that in the standard schnauzer the pepper & salt colouring was believed to originate from its ancestry being bred from crossing grey spitz dogs with black poodles. The white gene I believe is one which suppresses the expression of other colours and may be carried by many dogs as a “hidden” gene. Colour genetics in dogs is a fascinating but complicated subject :)
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/