First visit to meet our new puppy

Everything you need to know about bringing a puppy into your life starts here. How to find that Schnauzer puppy, what to look for in a breeder, early care, training and feeding are all covered. We even cover Schnauzer crocodile teeth.
Forum rules
Please do not discuss breeders or raise issues concerning breeders on the forum. This has created problems in the past and many breeders are not members and unable to defend any claim you may make.
Dazbowski
First Name: darren

First visit to meet our new puppy

Post by Dazbowski »

We are waiting for our new baby to arrive here in about 4 weeks.

One of the many things that drew me to the Miniature Schnauzer was non shedding coat. We visited our 4 week old pup yesterday and while there we noticed some hairs coming off him onto us. Now there was only a few but am curious is this normal or not? He is a white male with pure bred parents. We dont think he's been bushed yet and presume he hasn't been cleaned except by the mum.

Obviously if this is normal we are fine but if this is not should we look further into it?

Thanks
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Re: First visit to meet our new puppy

Post by Dawnspell »

I've had 2 whites and found in the normal day to day neither have shed, as in you give them a cuddle and youre left with numerous hairs on you every time or theres hair on the furniture and fluff bunnies in the corner of rooms as I found with my in laws golden retriever.

However there do seem to be certain materials that work like a de-shedding tool and undercoat hairs do come out. With Barney my first it was one particular pair of joggers and a fleece my MIL wore, no other fleece though. Jasper seems to loose a bit more hair. I've noticed it on the fleece on the inside of his coat and a textured fabric bean bag we have. I've also noticed that when I groom him his hair sticks to things more than Barneys did. Barneys you could just brush it off, Jaspers it takes a bit more getting off.

As I said its as though some materials work like a de-shedding tool rather than the dogs hair falling out. Its only a few, nothing that people would think theyre covered in hair.

Remember to post puppy photos I am rather partial to whites :D
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Dazbowski
First Name: darren

Re: First visit to meet our new puppy

Post by Dazbowski »

Thanks for the reply, I'm sure it was nothing as he has several white brothers and sisters around him so it could have even been their hair as well. I'll post some pics when we get him home!