grooming

Everything you need to know about bringing a puppy into your life starts here. How to find that Schnauzer puppy, what to look for in a breeder, early care, training and feeding are all covered. We even cover Schnauzer crocodile teeth.
Forum rules
Please do not discuss breeders or raise issues concerning breeders on the forum. This has created problems in the past and many breeders are not members and unable to defend any claim you may make.
Pahermit
Puppy
First Name: hal

grooming

Post by Pahermit »

I am new to the schnauzer breed.My breeder will have both the standard and miniature pups sometime in April.I have been reading all i can find about how to care for them but the one thing that i cant get an answer for.People are going to think that this a stupid question but here goes.Why do people who do not care about having a show dog but just a companion go thru all that grooming.Would it be possible to just give the dog a good brushing every day or is all that grooming necessary for the dogs health?
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Re: grooming

Post by Dawnspell »

There are several reasons I hand strip.
Its healthier for their skin.
They dont get soaked to the skin when it rains and dry off quicker than clipped coats. Also mud drops off unlike clipped coat.
I prefer the look. If you have a S&P, B&S or black dog it maintains the colour.
The wire jacket doesnt matt like a longer clipped coat can unless its brushed frequently.
I enjoy doing it
It creates a trusting bond between you and your dog.
Its ongoing fun learning a new skill.
I dont have to do any hoovering, I shed more hair than he does.
It doesnt actually take a long time may be half to an hour a week for everything once you get to grips with it.

You cant get away with not grooming a schnauzer whether its stripped or clipped. The only way to minimize grooming would be to keep everything short and clip everywhere every 2-3 weeks and lose the schnauzer look.
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Pahermit
Puppy
First Name: hal

Post by Pahermit »

They call it hand strip,is it dome with any special brush? I saw on utube 2 different people doing it ,one had some kind of brush and the other was just hand pulling it out.What hair are they removing?
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

You can do it with fingers or you can use a stripping knife or stripping stone.

Schnauzers have 2 types of hair growing from each follicle undercoat and wire hair. If clipped the wire hair gets cut off and the undercoat takes over so you get a very soft fluffy coat. When stripped the undercoat gets removed by "carding" and the wire hairs get striped out periodically so you get the harsh wire jacket like show dogs.
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Schnauzerluv
First Name: Kat
Dog #1: Ozzy
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 30 Jul 2020
Dog #2: Lily
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 12 Aug 2022

Post by Schnauzerluv »

You are carding out (removing) the soft undercoat and hand stripping (removing) the longest wire hairs.