Crying on walks!

Everything you need to know about bringing a puppy into your life starts here. How to find that Schnauzer puppy, what to look for in a breeder, early care, training and feeding are all covered. We even cover Schnauzer crocodile teeth.
Forum rules
Please do not discuss breeders or raise issues concerning breeders on the forum. This has created problems in the past and many breeders are not members and unable to defend any claim you may make.
Sandie1
Puppy
First Name: Rachel

Crying on walks!

Post by Sandie1 »

Can anyone help me with this problem, has anyone had similar concerns?
My 20 weeks old pup always cries when she's out on walks, I thought it might have passed by now. She seems quite keen to go, but as the walk progresses she cries and I don't know why! I've been taking her to training classes, so we do some loose lead walking, then she has some time on a long line, and she gets lots of positive reinforcement/treats which she loves. It happens wherever we walk, whether straight from home, or in a different area. We don't go far yet as she's still young. She doesn't like having her harness on, I'm working on that, and it has been properly fitted, so I'm sure she's not in pain. She doesn't cry whilst she's at the training classes. At the moment walks are not very enjoyable, and it can be a bit embarrassing too! I'm at a loss to explain it...I know minis are all very different but I'm hoping someone may be able to help or reassure me.
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: Crying on walks!

Post by zeta1454 »

I have not experienced this with any of our dogs and, as you say she is not like this at training class, so it could perhaps be from excitement at going out in the wide world or just wanting more attention / treats from you.

Is the crying really loud - whining or whimpering? Some young dogs /puppies can find their first walks outside so overwhelming with new scents and sounds that they cry from excitement; others may cry due to anxiety under the same circumstances. There are some suggestions on this link which may help:

https://petdogowner.com/why-your-dog-cr ... ing-walks/
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Sandie1
Puppy

Post by Sandie1 »

Thank you Leigh. The crying is quite loud. Sometimes she eases off a bit during the walk but starts up again. She has also done it when I have walked her (twice) with my sisters and their dogs.
I'm pretty sure she isn't hurt or injured. I think it's possibly more to do with anxiety but we have taken her out and about from being really young, carrying her, to get her used to all kinds of situations.
I will have to hope that once my next training classes start, someone can help me.
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

Sandie1 wrote: 17 Jan 2022, 19:25 Thank you Leigh. The crying is quite loud. Sometimes she eases off a bit during the walk but starts up again. She has also done it when I have walked her (twice) with my sisters and their dogs.
I'm pretty sure she isn't hurt or injured. I think it's possibly more to do with anxiety but we have taken her out and about from being really young, carrying her, to get her used to all kinds of situations.
I will have to hope that once my next training classes start, someone can help me.
It may be worth looking to see if you can find a local dog behaviourist if you can’t get the help you need from the training class as this sounds like a behavioural issue rather than a training one and trying to find out what may be triggering her crying. Often certain behaviours can resolve as a puppy matures and becomes more used to going out and about but it is probably best to try and find out what is affecting her if you can.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Sandie1
Puppy

Post by Sandie1 »

My training centre does behaviour help too, so I will check it out. Thanks again.
Bean
Puppy
First Name: Joy
Dog #1: Tilly
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Born: 26 Jun 2020

Post by Bean »

Just read your post. My Tilly always cried on her walks up until about 7 months and she got so excited when back home. Then suddenly she loved going out. We just thought she was overwhelmed with the big wide village and felt unsafe. Now at 20 months she can’t wait to go for a walk 3 times a day! Hope that’s all it is for your little one.
Sandie1
Puppy

Post by Sandie1 »

Thanks Joy, it's reassuring to know it's not just us! I am getting some advice from a dog trainer friend and working through it, being really careful not to reinforce it, etc. I feel much more positive now, it seems to be improving a bit so am hopeful we will get there!