Puppy cost

Everything you need to know about bringing a puppy into your life starts here. How to find that Schnauzer puppy, what to look for in a breeder, early care, training and feeding are all covered. We even cover Schnauzer crocodile teeth.
Forum rules
Please do not discuss breeders or raise issues concerning breeders on the forum. This has created problems in the past and many breeders are not members and unable to defend any claim you may make.
Lucylu27
First Name: Mary

Puppy cost

Post by Lucylu27 »

Hello,
I’ve been researching dog breeds for months and in the last few days I’ve settled upon a miniature schnauzer as being right for my family.
I’ve contacted 2 breeders so far via email. My main question is, what is the normal price for a puppy? I’ve been told by 2 that it’s £3000. Is this normal or inflated due to covid? I expect a puppy to be expensive but I don’t want to pay over the norm just because of demand. I’ve wanted a dog for years so happy to wait a couple more.

Thanks
Lucy

zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: Puppy cost

Post by zeta1454 »

Hello Lucy and welcome to the Forum :)

To answer your main question, I do think that £3000 is an over-inflated price due to COVID leading to high demand for pups and people taking advantage to raise their prices. Many of these puppies will have been bred to cash in on demand and as most reputable breeders delayed having litters due to the lockdown restrictions, you will need to be very careful when looking for a puppy at present. Some of the better breeders may have decided they need to raise prices to confirm that their litters are not ‘cheap’ but the price you quote still seems over the top to me. I do know of an excellent breeder who is not charging this much (£2000).

However, prices will vary and always have done depending on the area of the country with the southern counties tending to be more expensive than Scotland or even northern England. I would say that you need to be fully investigating the situation with regard to the breeder in terms of health testing, how they raise their puppies, what are the terms of the Contract of sale of the puppies, the full registered names of the parent dogs so you can independently check their health status, how many litters they have had etc. and also question the breeders re their knowledge of the breed, grooming and the support and advice they can offer you for the lifetime of the dog. More information on what you should look for in a breeder can be found in topics on the Front Page of the Forum under the Breeding and the Puppy Sections.

I always recommend finding a breeder before they have a litter of puppies, get to know them and about their breeding and get your name on a waiting list for a future puppy if you are happy with them. Looking at online puppy selling sites even via the Kennel Club can bring up breeders who are not reputable, will not be able to support you if needed with advice on health and grooming and are more likely to be selling puppies purely for financial gain.

The breed clubs can be a starting point for finding breeders to meet at shows and breed clubs events and, now that the Championship shows have restarted in England, you may have the opportunity to attend these in the future where you can meet breeders and see their dogs. The Kennel Club Assured Breeder Scheme members are listed on the Kennel Club website and they can be contacted for a chat by phone or via email to check out their breeding plans and breeding protocol. Health testing of the breeding dogs is mandatory for ABS members but you will still want to check them fully and meet them and their dogs before making any commitment to buy a puppy as you do need to feel confident that you trust and are happy with them in terms of their breeding.

I hope this helps but do ask any further questions if you want to :)
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/

KellyDP
Puppy
First Name: Kelly
Dog #1: Walter
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 26 Aug 2020

Post by KellyDP »

Hi, I usually ask questions on this forum as a new mini owner, but feel I can actually comment on this one as I brought a Mini puppy last November, so during Covid. We did lots of research and went to a Kennel Club Assured Breeder who did all the health tests, provided lots of helpful information and who has been breeding mini's for many years. We were charged £1,000 and our breeder told us she would not inflate her price due to Covid - her interest was in the dogs and not making a profit. We live in East Anglia and I did also speak to another breeder in the region (again Kennel Club Assured) who would have charged £1,250 if we had waited for her next litter. When looking for puppies I saw lots of adverts for the £3,000 mark and suggest avoiding them all - A reputable breeder loves their dogs and is not out to make a profit. If you can wait, then it will be worth it.

zeta1454

Post by zeta1454 »

KellyDP wrote:
11 Jul 2021, 13:52
Hi, I usually ask questions on this forum as a new mini owner, but feel I can actually comment on this one as I brought a Mini puppy last November, so during Covid. We did lots of research and went to a Kennel Club Assured Breeder who did all the health tests, provided lots of helpful information and who has been breeding mini's for many years. We were charged £1,000 and our breeder told us she would not inflate her price due to Covid - her interest was in the dogs and not making a profit. We live in East Anglia and I did also speak to another breeder in the region (again Kennel Club Assured) who would have charged £1,250 if we had waited for her next litter. When looking for puppies I saw lots of adverts for the £3,000 mark and suggest avoiding them all - A reputable breeder loves their dogs and is not out to make a profit. If you can wait, then it will be worth it.
That is great to hear. So glad that there are breeders who are holding out against the profiteers :)

Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

I know early on in the pandemic just after the prices went through the roof. Unscrupulous people were buying from reputable breeders at regular price then selling them on for more than double X( Looking at Champdogs there have been very few mini litters over the past 18 months. Its only been this past 3-4 months that they have been advertised again.
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"

zeta1454

Post by zeta1454 »

Dawnspell wrote:
12 Jul 2021, 14:51
I know early on in the pandemic just after the prices went through the roof. Unscrupulous people were buying from reputable breeders at regular price then selling them on for more than double X( Looking at Champdogs there have been very few mini litters over the past 18 months. Its only been this past 3-4 months that they have been advertised again.
This is still happening X(
Someone I know had a puppy (not a mini schnauzer) she had sold in good faith turn up on Pets4Homes recently at an inflated price even though she had a Contract with the family to return the puppy / dog to her at any time if they could not look after him. They had increased the price they paid and after a ‘rescue’ operation organised by breed club friends, she did get the puppy back but at greater cost than it had been sold for. It makes you realise what depths some people will sink to for money. It is every caring breeder’s nightmare that a puppy they have bred falls into the wrong hands and vetting potential puppy families is not always easy if they are cunning /manipulative buyers. This was discovered quite by chance and the lady who bred the puppy was distraught until she had him back again.