Behaviour on the lead (follow on from dog to dog agression)

Training, Behaviour and Dog Sport all have their own section, so please post your question where you feel it is most appropriate.
black beard
First Name: Donna
Dog #1: Heidi
is a: Black Std Bitch
Born: 16 Mar 2010
Dog #2: Dita
Born: 28 Jun 2011
Dog #3: Ruddi
Born: 21 Apr 2013
is a: Black Std Dog

Behaviour on the lead (follow on from dog to dog agression)

Post by black beard »

MattW wrote:For me its all depends on the dog. I have a hierarchy of training which always starts with positive methods.

Compulsion needs very good timing and for success it helps if you can read your dogs and other dogs body language. Imagine checking the dog if its trying to approach another dog in a polite manner.

Some dogs do not perform well with compulsion, they will become depressed real quick. Other dogs don't even blink, at the kennels I've worked with American Bulldogs, Rottweilers, GSD and one Dobe. All of which have had different demands. Dobes are sensitive souls, AB's can be stubborn and laugh at the thought of choke chains.

Its all about what you as a handler are happy with doing. I love the challenge of training a dog to do as requested, not because its in fear of pain but because it wants to and its happy to do it.
This a very good point, I was using a half check with Heidi with a slight pull to the side to bring her in close for walking at heel. But when we would meet with other dogs, horses, etc I discovered she was quite willing to choke herself (she is not a senstive soul), with no yanking from me, to get to where she wanted to be. But there is no agression in Heidi's lunging and any form of distraction/diversion was not enough to get her attention and sometimes it is not possible to just change direction. I was concerned I was just training her to pull against the lead. What I do now is get Heidi to sit when she sees something approaching once her bottom is down I can get her attention, this is not so when standing (question) I thought this was a good starting point to get her focus back but would welcome anyones thoughts.
Heidi: Black Standard born 16/3/10
Dita: Black Standard born 28/6/11
Ruddi: Black Standard born 21/4/13
hula-hoop
First Name: sara
Dog #1: Stanley
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jun 2010

Re: Behaviour on the lead (follow on from dog to dog agression)

Post by hula-hoop »

I am by no means an expert on training but that sounds to me like a good plan Black beard, as getting their attention is half the battle isnt it?
Stanley ratbag - s & p mini born 4/6/10
Bluebell
First Name: Jane
Dog #1: Bluebell
Born: 20 Oct 2010
Dog #2: Basil
Born: 28 Nov 2012

Post by Bluebell »

Following this thread as Bluebell seems to have some similar traits as Heidi. We just stood outside a busy leisure centre watching people and children go in (in the hope this will eventually become boring for her and she will give up the lunging at them).

She has a half choke for walking. But as she isn't motivated by food - how do I get her attention when she is totally fixated on bouncing up and down like a demented kangaroo to get their attention. She is a smart pup and can do some clever stuff and I do train her while out to increase the distraction effect. But she is totally deaf when excited.

This morning I give her a tug on the lead and have her sit while trying to keep her attention with a treat - it had some effect (but not a lot).
Poppy: p&s standard 27.4.99 - 13.9.10
Bluebell: black standard 20.10.10
Basil: black standard 28.11.12
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

I agree, training focus work is really half the battle, with Maisy I have to just keep walking with her attention on me as oppose to stopping and watching, as though this has worked in the past, recently she keeps looking round to have a nose!

With on lead, I find my two are far more eager and willing to pull to meet, but off lead their behaviour is far more natural and much better in general, so I try to make sure they meet most dogs off-lead (Well, on long line) as it can make Maisy far more relaxed and Freddy LOVES a play!
black beard
First Name: Donna
Dog #1: Heidi
Born: 16 Mar 2010
Dog #2: Dita
Born: 28 Jun 2011
Dog #3: Ruddi
Born: 21 Apr 2013

Post by black beard »

Heidi is very quick to put her bottom down and does a good 'wait' and when she is waiting she doesn't lose focus so easily. Sometimes she will spot a dog way in the distance and now just puts her bottom straight down, so I use 'ok' (to release her)& 'steady' and we walk on with her still focused and when the dog gets closer I ask her to sit again. I didn't realise that we were doing the 'steady' word until I thought about it last week she seems understand this means another command is coming, if that make sense? I do use 'steady' in other situations to tell her you are not free to run or jump, so hopefully with a bit more time we will just walk on by without her leaping about. If I miss the point where she is more focused on the approaching horse, cyclist etc this is when I can't get her attention back, so use high pitched 'pop,pop,pop' or brrrrrriiiiiii. I think we are making progress and hope I haven't corrupted her with bad instructions as we start training classes when her season has ended.
Heidi: Black Standard born 16/3/10
Dita: Black Standard born 28/6/11
Ruddi: Black Standard born 21/4/13
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

See that's lovely, the fact she does it automatically is a lovely gesture! She's clearly in great hands, missus. ;)
Jo&Jodie

Post by Jo&Jodie »

I check Coby's lead at the point where his body starts going into alert mode to try and stop it escalating...it's doesn't always work. However if I do manage to get a split second of attention I waft beef under his nose, but he normally scofts that and goes back to trying to get at the dog and beef then doesn't become good enough!

Rightly or wrongly I'm going to keep doing it as no form of high pitched squeeling, turning around, instigating play, doing star jumps will get his attention...he wants to go and play and that is that. He ran the full length of the woods the other day (which is around a half hour walk) just to get and see a horse that had passed by long before!!
Jo&Jodie

Post by Jo&Jodie »

Oh and the lady who runs the training class is a behaviourist and she told us to stop the bad behaviour and get him doing something good and reward that. And to calmly praise if he does somehow manage to approach another dog in a respectful manner...we havent had chance to that one yet!! lol
Dianep

Post by Dianep »

Well, we had a lovely walk this afternoon, saw a lot of people on the way to the fields including workmen making lots of noise and not a peep from Louis, lots of praise and then an off lead run in the fields as a reward for good behaviour.

We were walking home with me feeling very pleased with him, and him strutting his stuff when 100 yards from home bang - he spots Barney, a Goldie from a few doors away and proceeded to let the whole town know!! I was taken unawares as I'd lulled myself into a false sense of security, teach me won't it?!!!

There's always tomorrow.
hula-hoop

Post by hula-hoop »

^^^ Diane, I know that feeling! I dont understand how one minute they can be as quiet as a mouse past a multitude of dogs, then next minute something sets them off like never before.
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

Diane, I know that feeling! Some days are fantastic, some days are low - when I was first training Freds with young dogs and puppies we literally took it day by day and I know he'll probably never be trusted with them but it is day by day and control with a reactive dog.

Luckily the beard kisses make it all worth it!
Merlins Mommy
First Name: Barb
Dog #1: Merlin
Born: 25 Jun 2010

Post by Merlins Mommy »

I know what you mean, hubby took Merlin over the field yesterday and he played lovely with a spaniel called Oliver, then suddenly Merlin caught sight of a young boy on a bike and proceeded to run up to him and bark, it frightened the little lad who started to cry, Merlin did come away, but it was a shame for the little boy :(
Hubby was not impressed with Merlin...............
Merlin (p & s born 25.6.10)
hula-hoop

Post by hula-hoop »

^^^ that sounds all too familiar!

I dont get it - Stanley can behave like an angel when a completely unknown person enters his home (his territory!), yet when my neighbour from accross the road came to see him OUTSIDE (we were both getting out of the car at the same time) he barks his head off CONSTANTLY at her *sigh*