games schnauzers play

Training, Behaviour and Dog Sport all have their own section, so please post your question where you feel it is most appropriate.
dannie_kl

Re: games schnauzers play

Post by dannie_kl »

well if it were me teaching it when they barked i would give them the command speak (timing is important) and then a treat. this will couple the word you give with their action, keep practising that and you'll notice when you ask them to speak they will maybe only do a little noise but you praise them really big and treat, when they know they are doing the right thing they will do it more and with practise you will say speak anad they will bark right on queue.
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

I just started getting him really excited, so he was more likely to be vocal, and then I'd bark. Everytime he made a noise, I'd treat and que to the words 'How's life?' and a little hand signal (mine is my hand making a talky motion). Took him five minutes to get the idea, and now it's our favourite party trick!
Sianny
First Name: Sian
Dog #1: Ralphy
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 12 Feb 2009
Dog #2: George
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 25 Mar 2011

Post by Sianny »

Jessie first howled when she was a pup, lying on my sisters belly, we were all watching something funny and all laughed, she threw her head back and howled. Anything high pitched will set her off, so we have this word - Fleeb-loob which we say very high and she howls. It's more of a historical cutey trait lol..
She then sets Ralphy off! There was a bit of a group howl on the Oxford walk, all the dogs were talking to eachother so Ralphy decided he'd do a nice "rooooooooooo"!

She does speak on command but does a weird huffy noise first - I'll have to get it on video!
Follow Ralphy on Facebook (occasionally featuring George) http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ralphy-th ... 9952249008
august23

Post by august23 »

Otto howls as you all know to the phone & music. I'm trying to teach him to do it on command. So I say sing when he's in full voice & treat him when he finishes (giggle) then the behaviourist told me he howls to music as he doesn't like it & it hurts his ears. I felt awful after that.
Otto Black Standard
Ruby Black Mini
on-the-coast

Post by on-the-coast »

More guys more
This is brilliant
What do I do? Schu has a beautiful deep-throated howl. But he does this when he feels alone and nobody is there. How do you teach a dog to howl in this way on command if he never does it when you are close....It is just beautiful.... really... (I like this dog.... (kiss)
1 Standard + 1 mini + 2 humans = a cocktail for a good life
http://www.rightnowyoga.blogspot.com
sugarbear

Post by sugarbear »

Aaaaah sounds like a lady in love with her Shu. Astrid I just bought what they call a treat ball. Heard about it on forum. I fill it with pieces of carrots, biscuits, and some of kibble. They push it around the house and pieces drop out. Spend a lot of time with it. Found out Jasmine is the worker bee and Sugarbear waits around for leftovers. I think Shu would like this toy and keep him busy.

It is around 30celcius here so added ice cubes to their bowls they are having fun digging them out and playing with them. Really schnauzers love anything you can come up with. Have fun with the Shu!
My girls
sugarbear &
jasmine
henrys mum
First Name: Cathy
Dog #1: Cassis
is a: Black Giant Bitch
Dog #2: Odin
is a: Black Giant Dog

Post by henrys mum »

With my two we use the treat ball and a pyramid (same principle but harder to get treats out), then there's the hot dog box, a cardboard box filled with scrunched up newspaper with a few small pieces of hot dog inside. (makes a mess but great fun).Kongs with water and meat juice (half and half) frozen as ice lollies. Practising training like throwing a toy and then sending them 'away' to the toy wether they retrieve or not. Weaving through my legs as I walk slowly across the garden (not easy as they're giants and I'm 5ft1in !!! Tippee toes!!
Me (Cathy), O.H., Kids (x2) Cassis and Odin (mad giants in disguise as fur babies)
R.I.P. Henry xx
on-the-coast

Post by on-the-coast »

The hot dogs
I have bought the first lot of hot dogs.... EVER

I love the lollies and will try the pyramid...

I try walking over him when he lies.
I placed a board on two bricks in the garden...did some free training with Schu
and he was on the board like a goat...
thanks everyone thanks
sugarbear

Post by sugarbear »

Maybe you have an agility dog in the making.
My girls
sugarbear &
jasmine
on-the-coast

Post by on-the-coast »

from everything I read here Schu would love agility training

NO SCHOOL for him in Oz. 160ks away.

But I will carefully read Darwinsmum's postings and set up in our garden.

He balances with ease and today, when we shouted into a log, half full of dirt, 4m long and 1.5m wide, he ran through when we were standing a bit further away.

He did it. Noisy river. New environment. Brave dog!