Recall Training

Training, Behaviour and Dog Sport all have their own section, so please post your question where you feel it is most appropriate.
heather1

Recall Training

Post by heather1 »

Monty is fantastic at coming back to me BUT if there's another dog, a bird, person, even a leaf blowing in the wind - he's off at 100mph and I'm stood there like a lemon. Often when I'm just about to throw a ball for him or something...

We went for a walk in the forest over the weekend, and some dalmatians came up to him to say hello, they had a nice sniff then their owner and I both carried on with our walks. Dalmatians followed their daddy. Monty refuses to come with me and starts trotting off with them. I say no, get my treats out and he comes to me. I pat him, tell him good boy etc etc, and we walk about 5 steps. Monty then spins on his heels and legs it as fast as possible back in the direction of the dalmatians (who are now well out of sight); I holler "no, come here" after him (come here seems to be the phrase to get him to come back usually) and nothing. Decide to jog after him as he had been gone 30 seconds by now, and he arrives back at the corner running back to me at speed. Tell him good boy for coming back, and he turns again and runs back towards them. He appears back another 20 seconds later, I gave him no response, just put him on his lead. 2 mins later, let him off and all is good with the world. Next time we go out, he stays closer to me (but we saw no dogs!)

This morning, little dog on other side of field, he starts to go over, I say no and he comes back to me. I give him a treat for listening and throw a ball in opposite direction for him, he turns and bolts to other dog. Man is walking towards me, so Monty stays with him and his dog, then they walk past me and towards the opposite side of the field. Monty stays with them. Meanwhile I am trying to call him back. Eventually had to go and get him, so grabbed him and put him on the lead again without saying anything.

There are a couple of other examples, but those two are the worst... I've tried being nice - crouching down, arms open; I've tried throwing the ball past him and to the side to throw him off track, I've tried rattling my treat bag (admittedly useless as he's so far away there's no way he'd hear it!); I've tried a firm voice too, but still nothing.

When he comes back on the lead, he's not sulking or anything, he seems perfectly happy to come away with me.

So basically - any tips? Obviously I want to nip this in the bud - I don't want it to become normal and acceptable as I won't be able to train him away from it when he's properly settled in.

A client of mine suggested he was really confident, but I'm not sure I can quite believe that? She also suggested hiding behind a tree, make some kind of noise so he know's I'm somewhere near, and make him look for me. But again, I'm not sure whether that's particularly nice to a dog who was abandoned...

Thank you! x
nickycaplan

Re: Recall Training

Post by nickycaplan »

when I read your post, i must say it was as if i was reading about my standard lola - who is now 3... - it has taken all that time for her to stick to me like glue - she used to do exactly what you state monty does - dogs are so exciting etc much more than mum - i'm not coming back etc etc - I dont know what changed - maybe shes grown up a bit now, but her recall is 99percent better( It used to take sometimes 45 mins to get her back ) - in the end I just walked off and sat down...she used to come to me then very sheepishly but the change has definately happened in the past year after the terrible twos! [doghouse]
schnauzer lover...dog artist www.nickycaplan.com
heather1

Post by heather1 »

Oh.... He's only 9 months!

I've mentioned it to a few friends and they all had the same problems too, which is at least reassuring that he doesn't hate me or something! One friend says it lasted from age 8 months to 18 months. She reckoned whistle training helped. Might be worth looking into; I think I will take him training when he's had a chance to settle in with me.

Thanks!
sieffy
Puppy

Post by sieffy »

This could easily be me talking about Schnitzel, also 9 months old. A couple of times I have had to go and "retieve" him as I am sure he is happy to off with his new best friend! My OH won't let him off the lead because she is scared he wont come back. The whistling thing is very interesting. My father-in-law can whistle really loud and clear and one burst from him and Schnitz will stop in his tracks and come charging back. Our problem is neither of us can whistle anywhere near well enough to do this.

Intersted to know how you get on.

David
sandra_1001

Post by sandra_1001 »

Our Monty is exactly the same and i seem to spend all my time walking and jogging after him and retrieving him from very patient dog walkers. sometimes I dread letting him off the lead as his recall is so bad, other days he will be as good as gold. I have tried all the htings that you have.

Maybe it is something to do with the name or the age as our Monty is also 9 months old.
Monty - Salt and pepper boy - born 10th May 2009, joined our family and made it completed 4th July 2009
dannie_kl

Post by dannie_kl »

heather1 wrote:Oh.... He's only 9 months!

I've mentioned it to a few friends and they all had the same problems too, which is at least reassuring that he doesn't hate me or something! One friend says it lasted from age 8 months to 18 months. She reckoned whistle training helped. Might be worth looking into; I think I will take him training when he's had a chance to settle in with me.

Thanks!
If you are interested in whistle training I am training my mini's with a gundog whistle and KeithJ has also been training his giant to a whistle!
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

I'm investing in a whistle soon too - I'll get that green ring around my neck. :D

Okay, couple of suggestions. Firstly, I really suggest a long line and a big wide open space. I know my Mini doesn't run off as such off-lead but will stay close enough and it's only when he sees another dog does he run off towards it. Lately on long line he's gotten a lot better and after just a quick greeting he'll come back to me.
The long line is really great for teaching recall because it's so massive. Take Monty out on it and then let him wander about. When you'd like him back, give an arm signal to group with your word - 'Come', 'This Way!' or 'OI!' ;) If he comes, wahey! Throw a party for him - I mean a PARTY. I'm talking you just won the lottery. Show him every reason on earth that it's better to stick with you than leave. Keep it up for a good few minutes as you walk with a treat to keep him nice and focussed so he doesn't feel the need to return to the previous entertainment. If you keep him focussed on you with a nice treat as you're walking away and keep rewarding for the next good few paces, he will get it and will have forgotten. :p
This is why the long line is important - peace of mind as you're training. If he DOES run off again because the reward hasn't kept his attention for long enough, then you still have him.
It doesn't sound like he needs basic recall training, just lots of reward-based reinforcement. Never ever tell him off when he comes back, or he'll see no reason to next time! If you DO have trouble with the basic recall and he's losing focus, give it a little tug if all else fails and he'll get the idea.
Hope this helps!
heather1

Post by heather1 »

Just went for our afternoon walk, and he was being a superstar. He went off twice and didn't come straight back when I called, so I tried the hiding trick. Didn't worry him at all, and worked a charm. However, bumped into a nice man with a jack russell puppy on the way home, and asked him if he wouldn't mind if I tried the hiding trick - I waited for 3 minutes, before deciding that the man would probably be getting bored soon... Monty was completely oblivious. Had to go and catch him, and made him sit down in front of me nicely until the man was out of sight. Behaved perfectly once caught! Then I threw him a few sticks, and he didn't think about running after the puppy, so a slight improvement I would say.

Have booked a session with a dog trainer tomorrow, will let you know what suggestions she makes! Will ask her about whistle training...

Got back from walk at 4.10, and left for client at 4.30 - he was in the car on his own from 5pm to 5.30, and he's done a little wee in the car. First time ever and I have NO idea why he would have done that as he hasn't even thought about it in the house since last Wednesday... Annoying.
heather1

Post by heather1 »

Thanks Maisyfreds, I've been careful not to tell him off, and instead have not been saying anything when I get him back if I've had to do the getting. Also tried the party trick, which works, but again - only as long as there isn't another dog nearby.

I should be happy he's not a problem with other dogs as such - just retaining him after!!
Joni

Post by Joni »

To be honest Heather, i think it is just time, it is likely he has not been trained to recall - so he is coming back to you after he has had his fun. Just keep recall and treats and he will work it out eventually.

They will only come back if the treat (or reason to come back) is more interesting than the reason not to. At nine months in all fairness playing with other dogs is far more exciting than the sausage (and if he is clever he will work out he can have that when he gets back anyway!)

It will sink in but expect it to take upto six months - blimey you are more impatient than me it seems!!!!! (she says good naturedly!).

It has taken nearly seven months for Dyl to focus on me rather than the problem (dogs) when out, and then 2 weeks ago, he suddenly started listening, it is just repetition and time. Treats, whistle, long line whatever you choose it will still take the same time for it to sink in I guess. I think however if you use a line in my opinon he should stay on it for 6 weeks for it really to work, or else he will just scamper off as soon as it is off!
www.clontarfhotel.co.uk
www.mory.co.uk

For holidays in lovely Llandudno, North Wales!
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

Exactly - if you want him to come back, you have to make yourself far more interesting than the dog! 'What's that mama? You want me to stop playing? The best thing ever that I love? For what? A piece of sausage? Er...I'll get back to you...' ;)
And yes - Freddy has been grand off-lead all his life, but always becomes excited and happy after seeing a dog. However, now, after a year of working with him, this morning he said hello and CAME BACK when I slapped my thigh, called him, and started walking. Breakthrough. It isn't a quick fix thing, it is a learning curve - if you don't feel safe, than again, a long line may be your best bet. :)
heather1

Post by heather1 »

Thanks guys, he has definitely been trained at recall and generally he is brilliant at it.

I am impatient, but I can't be walking along, see another dog and then lose him for however long he fancies running the other way for. I just think it needs nipping in the bud if it is a "problem", but it does sound like its a phase most go through. I'll just have to be careful if I'm on a path walking the opposite direction to someone else with dogs. I think most people would get a little upset having someone's dog following them on their walk.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to hearing what this lady has to say tomorrow and will keep you posted.
H x
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

:p
And I cannot say this enough....
LONG. LINE! Tenner from PAH - really an investment!
Darwinsmum

Post by Darwinsmum »

Definitely a long line and at 9 months has hormones raging through his body think of a teenager not listening to Mum nagging!!
Darwin and Mia 2 heatbeats at my feet
A life without dogs - I don't think so!
www.lincsdogtraining.co.uk
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

Lol - good point!