Grooming problems

Looking after the health and welfare of your Schnauzer can be a full time job. You will find information on neutering, spaying, vaccinations, vet visits, upset tummies, Schnauzer bumps and much more here. Ask a question and someone will have had a similar experience. We also appreciate updates on how your Schnauzer is recuperating. A separate section is dedicated to our older Schnauzers.
Dionaea
Puppy
First Name: Chris
Dog #1: Pip
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Nov 2012

Grooming problems

Post by Dionaea »

Pip, our largish miniature - but not fat, is coming up to his ninth birthday. We have rehomed him for the last six years & he is a great friend & companion. The only health problems have been very minor fits within hours of flea & tick treatments but for the last year he has been fine with a 3 monthly Brevectin tablet. His only problem now is that he becomes manic if our lady groomer goes near his ears & feet. She suggested that a mild sedative might help so the vet has supplied 3 x Gabapentin tablets (300mg) , one to be given the night before, one the next morning & one an hour before the grooming. Having looked these tablets on Google I am not happy to give them to him. Has anyone had any experience of these pills? Is there anything that I can get over the counter. He just needs calming down a little.
Would appreciate any advice.

Chris
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: Grooming problems

Post by zeta1454 »

Hello Chris - sorry to hear about Pip’s health problems and the anxiety at the groomers. Many dogs are very sensitive about their ears and feet being touched and often it is a question of working to get a dog more comfortable with this by training rather than just using a supplement or medication. It is not a quick fix but can be the best solution long term.

There are a couple of links here to more natural remedies which may help but you may also need to do some training work with Pip too:

https://www.dorwest.com/product/valeria ... -and-cats/

https://www.thenaturalpetstore.co.uk/sh ... pray-15ml/

Flea and tick pharmaceuticals are well known to cause many health issues in dogs and, unless Pip is constantly affected by parasites, I would be reluctant to use them personally. We do not use these on our dogs and haven’t done for years and no problems with either fleas, ticks or worms. I would be especially cautious as Pip has already suffered a bad reaction to the previous treatments. The pharmaceutical products do not repel parasites but just kill them after they feed so the risk of illness from them remains.

I certainly agree re not using Gabapentin which is a very heavy duty product for a minor issue and comes with many potential health issues as you have no doubt seen online.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

Is this a recent problem or has he been like this since you for him?
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Dionaea
Puppy

Post by Dionaea »

He is the most gentle dog but has this hang up about his feet & ears. He seems to be getting worse as he gets older. He always gets excited & pants when he knows he is going out for a walk - only 4 times a day. He is excitable! Oh, & he is not keen on vets!
Dawnspell

Post by Dawnspell »

As dogs get older theie hearing ans sense of smell as well as other senses deteriorate just like in humans. This in itself can cause behaviour changes as the world to them is different. This can make them more reactive to things that a couple of years ago they wouldnt have battered an eyelid, so it could explain why hes getting worse.

As Leigh said with the grooming working at home on just keep touching feet and ears and rewarding will help. There are other natural calming products that contain amino acids that are present in the body but give an extra calming boost. Serene-um is one that I've given to Jasper in the past when he was very reactive to people coming to the house. It worked for him, no sedative effect, it just made it easier for him to chill so I could get him to focus on me but it is something that you give everyday and it takes a week or so to kick in. I did see Adaptil have a tablet called Adaptil Express which they market as a fast acting for calming. This also contains amino acids and GABA which is a neurotransmitter that helps reduce anxiety.
Our first family dog
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Dionaea
Puppy

Post by Dionaea »

Thank you all for your replies. Our groomer has suggested Zylkene S which seems similar to Adaptil in function to calm him down before grooming. Has anyone tried it & found that it helps? It is available on Amazon.
Dionaea
Puppy

Post by Dionaea »

Dionaea wrote: 01 Nov 2021, 23:08 Thank you all for your replies. Our groomer has suggested Zylkene which seems similar to Adaptil in function to calm him down before grooming. Has anyone tried it & found that it helps? It is available on Amazon.
Dawnspell

Post by Dawnspell »

Zylkene is one that you need to give ahead of a stressful situation and isnt the same as the adaptil express, in some cases it may need to be given up to a week before. Every dog is different and what works for one dog may not work for another depending on what the trigger is.

I'm afraid you might have to try a few. I would be working with him at home getting him used to ears and paw touching to help him at the groomers.
Our first family dog
Schnauzerluv
First Name: Kat
Dog #1: Ozzy
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 30 Jul 2020
Dog #2: Lily
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 12 Aug 2022

Post by Schnauzerluv »

Great advice! Always better to 'train' the pup before resorting to meds.

Although I have heard good things about CBD oil, for many different ailments including arthritis. It's important to note that not all providers are legit. Also no need to go to pet specialty CBD oil as it is the exact same thing as the human dispensary. Just very important that it doesn't contain THC or less than 2% because THC is very toxic to dogs.