What age can I start running my Mini Schnauzer

Our Schnauzers love to be active. Have a look which activity will suit your dog. There is everything from Agility, flyball, Rally-O, Cani-X to Schutzhund.
Catarina
First Name: Catharine

What age can I start running my Mini Schnauzer

Post by Catarina »

Hi Everyone,

I've read a lot online about this topic and get vastly differing views about what age my mini should be before I start jogging with him?

He has just turned one, am I ok to start him jogging?

Thanks
rich 40
First Name: Richard

Re: What age can I start running my Mini Schnauzer

Post by rich 40 »

Should be fine now he is one but build up steady we couldnt run with ours as sniffing and spring up trees is much more fun !
rich 40
First Name: Richard

Post by rich 40 »

Should be fine now he is one but build up steady we couldnt run with ours as sniffing and spring up trees is much more fun !
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

There is a lot of conflicting information regarding exercise for puppies and to some extent this does also depend on size and breed as smaller dogs mature physically sooner than giant breeds.

There is also a range of different types of exercise which puppies can engage in from a very young age some of which must be very limited and others less so. When you mention "jogging" this does sound like sustained and continuous exercise on a hard surface and that is the type of exercise which does need to be very limited from 12 months up to the age of 18 months or older to 20-30 minutes per day.

We follow the "Puppy Culture" exercise guidelines with our puppies and young dogs and you can read more about that here:

https://puppyculture.com/exercise-chart.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Basically free strolling, exploring, running freely on soft surface etc is fine and good to help build up muscle and strengthen bones but sustained continuous walking or running on a hard surface may cause physical damage to young dogs.

I agree with rich40 also that the miniature schnauzer breed may not be the best choice if you are looking for a running companion. Unlike some breeds which have been bred over the years to run and stay close to heel to their human companions, miniature schnauzers are a breed that enjoys sniffing, following scent trails and generally exploring their environment rather than engaging in sustained running. They do enjoy running, jumping and other exercise but as a free play activity and although they are great companions on a hike or similar, they are more likely to be enjoying running backwards and forwards, stopping to sniff and look for rabbit droppings rather than keeping to heel as you would need them to be if you are jogging. You need to be able to keep an eye on them for approaching dogs, people etc and also to know when they may have done a poo that needs picking up! I am not sure that a mini schnauzer would appreciate running continuously on lead in the way other breeds are happy to adapt but others may have different experiences to share.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
bathelen
Puppy
First Name: Helen
Dog #1: Dargo
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 12 Feb 2015

Post by bathelen »

Our mini Dargo is 15 months and we started running with him just after he turned 1. We don't do more than 20 minutes once a week (trying to build up to the 30minutes we do at Parkrun on a Saturday and we built that up from 10 minutes. I wouldn't run with him any more than 30 minutes, he just isn't built for it.

I would partly agree with Leigh, when we run with him on the lead he does enjoy it less, but he needs to be on a lead if we take him to a parkrun. If he is off the lead he bounds alongside me having a whale of a time, in and out of trees etc. Going to try running on the lead with a longer line to see if the extra freedom helps. He does get better over time at not stopping to sniff every single thing, if he does slow we just cue "run" again and give him a treat. It's a slow process!