Ants!!!! Never knew they were so clingy!

Barking, humping, aggression are covered here. If you have a behavioural issue, please raise it here. Whether it be good or bad.
Schnauzerluv
First Name: Kat
Dog #1: Ozzy
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 30 Jul 2020
Dog #2: Lily
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 12 Aug 2022

Ants!!!! Never knew they were so clingy!

Post by Schnauzerluv »

Ozzy has been limited with seeing any bugs since he wasn't outside until mid September last year. As the new spring season bugs emerge, Ozzy's fascination is in overdrive. He hunts and stalks any bug that makes it inside, he'll pounce on a crawler type bug and bump it with his front paws, then snap it up in his mouth, chew on it a bit, throw it spitting it out and does it all over again until it stops moving. I've even seen him eat it too after! :ymsick: (which is another mild concern, more on that later)

He will jump, try to catch flies with his paws, or snaps at them as they fly by with his mouth. It's actually great entertainment for him to stalk a house fly, he likes to corner them, he watches all intently, tail wagging....it's funny when he's looking around the room, his head zipping around in anticipation that he'll track it.

But he'll even go for ants. And there seems to be a particularly big problem this year. At least, I see them everywhere outside. All kinds. I mean, big, small, reddish, black, idk, i'm not an ant expert. I actually never knew they were any big deal until Ozzy decided to dig up an ant hill!

These were tiny black ants. I never really saw these before, or never took any note. Usually the tiny ones have been red.

Anyway, I called Ozzy away when I saw what he was digging at. I left it at that and continued my yardwork.

Later I noticed Ozzy kept pawing at his nose/beard. I thought it was itchy so I scratched his beard a bit while we were still outside. He had some debris in his beard which I just threw down on the ground without looking or thinking anything.

He kept messing with his beard though, like it was bothering him periodically throughout the rest of the day, but I couldn't pin point the problem.

Later as he was having a nap on the sofa and I thought i'd comb out his beard a bit. I combed out an ant! :-s As he moved a bit and adjusted, I found 2 more little ants on the blanket! I started combing a bit more and more and more ants started flooding out his beard with the comb! :-o

I started smooshing all the ants I combed out and meticulously went through the rest of his beard for more ants. He must have been snapping at the multitudes of tiny attack ants with his mouth because when I lifted his mustache, they were all around his lips! Half in his mouth. So many. And what were they doing there for so long? I think most of them had to be already chewed 😖

I never thought ants were any big deal, mostly I just saw those big carpenter ants that are just a bit annoying here and there outside.

But I guess some ants are more territorial and apt to attack bite in herds especially when they feel threatened defending their queen. Like they all climbed into his beard in bite mode. I was really surprised how many there were. No wonder Ozzy was pawing at his beard! And how gross that we never noticed until a few hours later? Poor guy.

Luckily there didn't seem to be any problems after I got all the ants out, but my opinion on ants has changed a bit after this. Leave the ants alone!

The side note is that I want to do something to control the ants a bit. They haven't established inside, but I have found (or Ozzy did) 1 or 2 and i'm worried about a problem. But I don't want to use anything toxic because Ozzy eats the ants! Am I over thinking?

Anyone have any natural or safe tips to control ants? I haven't really looked yet, just curious if anyone had any tricks on hand. So far I sprinkled some cream of wheat cereal near any ant nests or where I see them. It's a natural bait so they bring it back to the nest. It's supposed to swell up with their inner fluids, and well, they blow up. But I haven't seen a reduction in ants.
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: Ants!!!! Never knew they were so clingy!

Post by zeta1454 »

You could check out this website:

https://www.cedarcide.com/

We have used the spray in the past when we had a problem with fleas brought in by a visitor’s dog. It is strong woody smelling as it is derived from cedar wood. I don’t dislike it and it did help our issue with the dogs’ bedding and anywhere they lay down. It is non-toxic and didn’t seem to bother the dogs. I haven’t used it for anything else but it is supposed to be effective against all bugs.

I would check Ozzy’s beard regularly though as if the ants do bite it will be very distressing for him. We do have some ants outside the house in summer but they have not been a problem for us or the dogs - fingers crossed!
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Ants are really bothersome and they bite too. Nasty little things for schnauzers lying in the grass. Find the nest and pour boiling water on to it.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

We get the little orange ones in our lawn. You really have to watch where you are sitting they are feisty little blighters and can give a nasty nip that blisters.

I have to watch out on the cliff paths to make sure Jasper doesn't run over a European red wood ants nest. They are at least 1cm long and their nests at least half a meter wide. Fortunately they are a monitored species ( now extinct on mainland uk) so volunteers go out in spring and stick red flags in the middle of the nests.
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Schnauzerluv

Post by Schnauzerluv »

Hey thanks all! Seems they are a universal nuissance.

I've been watching his beard, looks ok, I'm not sure they bit him, that was an assumption, I know he felt then crawling in there 😨

I was thinking of making some cedar oil against mosquitos, can't hurt. ATM I am using lemongrass oil and a mixture of a couple other essential oils in a spray form.

Ozzy loves to lay in the grass, but luckily it hasn't been a problem since he was digging directly in their nest. I know it is nest because my hosta right over it is struggling. I just have to make sure he leaves the nests alone!

Yikes those orange ants sound nasty! Ozzy had a rash on his groin area, but I don't think it was related to ants.

I've decided I won't be able to control the ants outside, there's just too many different kinds and very difficult to get to the queen. So as long as they don't colonize inside, I'm not too worried.

Thanks for all the tips, I will try them to control it a bit. I'll add vinegar to the list as a repellent, it also destroys an ant scent trail. I already use vinegar to wash my floors, so I guess I was doing something right.

For sidenote, we have these insects called earwigs here. Not sure if they are overseas. They are gross looking with a pincher at their backside. Vinegar also helps to deter them, I spray my patio door frame periodically.
Dawnspell

Post by Dawnspell »

Yes we have earwigs too. From a child I've never liked the big flowered chrysanthemums, they always have earwigs in the flowers. The old boys on allotments used to grow them for competitions and I never liked going near them one would always pop out unexpectedly and crawl up your hand =))
Our first family dog
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

We have lots of Devil's Coach Horse beetles which are angry earwigs. Fortunately they give off a horrid smell and Otto keeps clear now after once nudging it with his nose. https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildl ... ach-horse/
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
Schnauzerluv

Post by Schnauzerluv »

Ewwwww! Those flowers would creep me out too! I couldn't stand them crawling on me! I remember them being around the BBQ and in park equipment like swings, anything tubular and hollow they can climb into. I remember them dropping from above (because I was little), I was always freaked they'd fall on me.

My 1st schnauzer Snoop came in one evening with an earwig pinched on his nose! I was squirming trying to get it off. They are so creepy.

One year (as an adult) we had a really bad population of earwig. They seriously were everywhere! I even found a couple inside, like in my dish cloth, even in the shower! Let me tell you there's something that feels very vulnerable when one comes slithering out from your lufa sponge! My friend lived about 20 mins from me near a river front. She actually had a big problem with them IN HER BEDROOM! They somehow colonized in a chilling system or something, but I was seriously freaked out that year lol.

Julie, I had never heard of the Devil's Coach Horse beetles, thanks for educating me! No offense, but I'm really glad we don't have them! At least like you say they give off a pungent odor (which is interesting btw), so you can locate them and steer clear. Poor Otto learned the hard way :ymsick:

I've been a bit concerned about Ozzy chasing wasps and bees, but so far I've been able to watch him and ask him to leave them. Actually I make it a bigger deal (like really leave them alone) but in a calm manner. I figure it's good training for larger prey.
Dawnspell

Post by Dawnspell »

Oscar 12345 wrote: 24 May 2021, 16:24 We have lots of Devil's Coach Horse beetles which are angry earwigs. Fortunately they give off a horrid smell and Otto keeps clear now after once nudging it with his nose. https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildl ... ach-horse/
I used to see loads of those growing up in Yorkshire but I'm not sure I've seen one in Guernsey. Going to see millions now =))
Our first family dog
Schnauzerluv

Post by Schnauzerluv »

Not easy to get a pic of an ant, but I found this guy carrying a dead bug carcass back to his hill.

It was fascinating watching him carrying and dragging that through all the rocks and then through the grass blades. They are pretty amazing actually. Scavengers and they help clean up.

Ozzy even came over to check out what I was looking at, dug a bit around him, but didn't see the ant. The ant carried on as usual and didn't give up his treasure.
Schnauzerluv

Post by Schnauzerluv »