Bitch in season/post season

Barking, humping, aggression are covered here. If you have a behavioural issue, please raise it here. Whether it be good or bad.
Ksteel080
First Name: Katie

Bitch in season/post season

Post by Ksteel080 »

Hi everyone, wasn’t sure whether to post this is behaviour or health care. Just after a bit of reassurance I think!

Peggy has now come through her second season and is still rather sleepy and docile. Whilst this has been amazing, as she is now just so chilled out, should I be concerned?! It’s like she has changed overnight from a crazy puppy to an adult dog! She has just turned one. Her appetite is still lacking a little from being in season, perhaps she is low on energy. At some point do I need to take her to the vet to make sure she is okay? I expect these hormones will wear off any day and our crazy dog will be back!

Has anyone else experienced their little girl chilling out after their second season?

Thanks, Katie and Peggy
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: Bitch in season/post season

Post by zeta1454 »

Hi Katie, if you are worried that Peggy has changed her behaviour quite suddenly, it could be worth having a check at the vets just to be sure there is no underlying problem affecting her. Bitches are different in the way they cope with seasons - some can become more clingy and others want to keep to themselves; some have a reduced appetite and others will be looking for more food.. so it is not easy to give a certain answer to your question.

As they mature, dogs will settle usually in comparison to when they were little pups so that is to be expected but it is usually a bit more gradual than just overnight. I know it is not much help but you really need to make a judgment based on your personal knowledge and instinct of Peggy as to whether you think it needs a vet visit.

My approach with all our dogs when there is a concern about a possible health issue is to assess whether they are eating, sleeping, exercising, responding to us pretty much as normal and if so to monitor things for a few days and see if anything gets better or worse. If they are not eating at all, are very lethargic and/ or acting clearly out of character or showing signs of pain or distress then it would be a question of taking them to the vet. It is a bit easier with experience to make these kind of judgements I know but so much is down to individual dogs and their response to e.g. being in season.

Some bitches do seem to suffer more blood loss and more painful seasons than others and this can drain their energy so it could well be just a question of watching Peggy over the next few days to see if she perks up. Do look out for any sign of any unpleasant discharge from her vulva which could be a sign of an infection but, given Peggy’s age, it is most likely this is just post-season blues.

Just to mention too that some vets (ours certainly does) will chat over the phone to discuss any worries about a minor issue and advise whether it needs a consultation. I know you need to be careful with this as some practices are more money oriented than others and will have a client in just to get the fee but if you have a trusted vet this could be another option before booking a visit if you are really worried. Given the current restrictions more vets may be happy to advise without a visit.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Schnauzer Sam
First Name: Sam
Dog #1: Rosie
Born: 06 Jul 2017
Dog #2: Edie
Born: 11 Jun 2018

Re: Bitch in season/post season

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

Hi Katie,

It may be that as she matures her craziness will become less obvious and you should expect some change in her behaviour whilst in season but it won't be like a switch. Trust your own instinct, no-one will understand Peggy more than you and what is usual for her.

I have a 30 month old girl, Edie, who's just gone into season. This is her fifth but the previous four were very light in comparison to this one. I knew that it was coming on as the older girl has been fascinated by Edie's rear end for the past week and Edie has been looking for more cuddles and has been sleepier and lethargic. She is behaving very differently to than during her previous four seasons but I have no worries about her as she is eating and drinking as normal and, once out, has been her usual self. Obviously I now have to walk her at quiet times and locations and won't let her off the lead.

My older girl, Rosie, was problematical and during her first season had to be spayed as she had an infection in her uterus. This is what Leigh was referring to above but with Rosie, she lost her appetite and lost over a kg of weight so it was obvious to me that something was going on.

Like Leigh, if she's eating and drinking normally I wouldn't be overly concerned but would keep a watch on her but don't hesitate to contact your vet for advise if your own instincts say otherwise.
Country Girl at Heart (Molly) 8 April 2003 - 22 December 2018

You're never alone when you own a schnauzer

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Rosie-and-E ... 872588622/