Weeing on front legs?

Barking, humping, aggression are covered here. If you have a behavioural issue, please raise it here. Whether it be good or bad.
Schnauzerluv
First Name: Kat
Dog #1: Ozzy
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 30 Jul 2020
Dog #2: Lily
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 12 Aug 2022

Weeing on front legs?

Post by Schnauzerluv »

Anyone else's male mini pees on the back of his front legs?

I noticed for the past few months he hits the back of his front legs with his pee stream! He notices too and (sometimes immediately) tries to clean them off. I think it's because schnauzers are so tall and shorter bodied and also he might be transitioning to lifting his leg...he still puppy squats...but he stays standing a bit higher which often causes him to pee on his front legs. Don't know if it gets better once they start lifting?

I wash with a baking soda solution and then ACV to clean and neutralize, but I feel a bit sorry for the little guy and just wondering if it's a common thing and if anyone has found a good way to deal with it?
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Re: Weeing on front legs?

Post by Dawnspell »

Oh yes Barney was a nightmare for doing this. We found that gently pulling on his harness turned him a bit and guided his aim away form his legs. He eventually grew out of it, I guess the body and legs change shape. He wasnt bothered by it though and was quite happy being smelly =))

I had a portable pump up shower by the door or in the car to washing him off at the end of walks. I read about leaving a "pee string" letting the hair grow a bit at the front of the penis to slow the flow. It helped if it was just a quick marking wee but did nothing for a full on flowing wee :))

Not had the problem with Jasper he tends to hold his back leg up at 180 degrees to squirt out at a 90 degree angle over everything =)) He does sometimes catch the inside of his furnishings on his back legs but then I do keep them long :D
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Otto is exactly the same as Jasper, Precision peeing but occasionally getting the inside of furnishings on his back legs. My 1st never wasted it on his hair. It may be that when your boy has fully matured that he is more careful with his aim so it is less of a problem.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
Schnauzerluv

Post by Schnauzerluv »

Hahaha ladies, thanks for your help! Yeah Ozzy just started to mark on his walk, so generally it's when he whizzes in the backyard after a few hours of holding it that it shoots out onto his front legs. I saw he lifted his leg a few times today and marked on his walk, so hoping it corrects itself. Btw Alison, he's like my last male mini, leg up 180° 🤣
Schnauzerluv

Post by Schnauzerluv »

So he's lifting his leg now 100%. But sometimes still whizzes on his leg fur. Not sure how it's happening, but I noticed he projection wees lol. It shoots way out! I don't remember noticing that with my last male mini Snoop, but I also never noticed him weeing on his legs at all. Is it normal it shoots out like that, or anything to worry about? Just curious, cuz it's different than my other mini.....
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

Yes on the occasional wee where Jasper misses his target it can go a good 12-18 inches =)) I do watch where I'm standing with him to make sure I'm not in the way :D
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Schnauzerluv

Post by Schnauzerluv »

Haha tx for that. Yeah it's only when he's not whizzing on anything and just projecting into snow. Sometimes he climbs onto a snowbank (front paws) and just let's it soak in lol!