Using skills learnt as tricks

Barking, humping, aggression are covered here. If you have a behavioural issue, please raise it here. Whether it be good or bad.
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Using skills learnt as tricks

Post by Dawnspell »

I've noticed recently that Jasper has been applying tricks to his everyday life

He does "touch" with his nose to target or push something. He now finds where the squeak is in a toy but instead of mouthing it to make a noise he pushes it with his nose. He loves bringing a toy to you so you can push it then he pushes, its so cute. He also does " target" where he touches something with a paw instead of his nose. I saw him using a paw to squash down on a toy to make it squeak yesterday.

I've been teaching him "sit pretty" or "beg". This takes a while as you have to build up muscle core strength to hold the position. He's not doing it on command as we're still working on holding it but he's just started going in the position on his own to get his chin on the sofa instead of putting paws up.

Hes really good at balancing in the stand position on his back legs. I'm now working on getting him to walk forwards. He now does this on walks if there's a low hedge or barrier he can't see over he stands on his back legs to look over =)) He's just like a meerkat. He also did it in the middle of the beach the other day to see a dog over some rocks. He stood upright for around 30 sec the owner thought it was hilarious.

We're working on play dead at the minute hope he starts laying still flat out on the floor =))

Any body else have any examples ?
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Re: Using skills learnt as tricks

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Definitely and none of them I have taught him. We have the handstand poop, how the poop doesn't fall on him I've no idea. We also have the meerkat "who goes there" position. We have the face rub gymnastics on furniture routine, the power building vice like grip on my arm if he suddenly feels a bit ooh la la... the pilates leg stretch emergency pee when a dog he doesn't know comes into view. We have the pirouettes and triple axel when the hair dryer first goes on and we have significant band playing manoeuvres when a new squeaky toy arrives. Not sure these are what you have in mind but they fill my world.=))
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
Dawnspell

Post by Dawnspell »

What is it with the handstands poos? =)) Jasper does them and so did Barney.

Jasper of course has to be different. He was doing handstand and I was busy getting poo bag ready, he finished, I bent down to pick up and there was nothing there :-\ There it was stuck onto the wall about 12" off the ground =)) This has happened several times now makes picking up a lot easier :))

I wonder what other breeds do them ?

When he's wet from walk or bath we have the usual 100 mile an hour zoomies and leaping over the settees. I turn the hairdryer on he comes over stops and just stands like a statue =)) He loves the hairdryer.
Our first family dog
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Schnauzerluv
First Name: Kat
Dog #1: Ozzy
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 30 Jul 2020
Dog #2: Lily
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 12 Aug 2022

Post by Schnauzerluv »

Lol at the handstand poos I'm trying to picture thatπŸ˜‚ My minis never did this, but maybe it's a top dog thing, big dog always marks the highest πŸ˜‹

With all the puzzles and food dispensing toys available now, I'm sure it teaches him some skills and encourages problem solving. Even a 12 week old schnauzer pup can conquer a stage intermediate puzzle no problem, they are very smart dogs.

Hahaha gremlin zoomies! They are ridiculously halarious when they get wet! All my minis have been the same, they go nuts!!! Maybe they are trying to dry themselves off? I showed Ozzy the hair dryer the other day lol. He gets down (like crawls) and 'shakes it off', so cute. He's the same with the vacuum (even one he's never seen before), he barks at the wand and bites at it. Minis are not the scardy cat types! He chases at my rake (leaves), chases my broom, hockey stick, fly swat .....anything lol, they are such turkeys!

He had a little box fort he uses as a fortress for the game "chase me". I don't even have to run around much anymore, it's easy to get him running. I can hide behind a corner and call for him "Where's Ozzy"? He comes charging to my voice and I pop out making a cute funny noise. He goes flying and hides in his playpen and box fort.

I also will scratch the outside and it makes him dig in the box. He also chews the edges. Great exercise all around 😁

I shared this before, but I built him snow trails. He loves to weave and run them! Also makes a fun place to play "Chase Me". I can hide behind the trees and Ozzy goes crazy looping around the track haha!
Already it's melted, but I will build them again as soon as the snow builds up again.

Not really what you were looking for, but I noticed he uses skills he learns all the time in everyday activities. So fun to watch them learn!
Dawnspell

Post by Dawnspell »

Schnauzerluv wrote: ↑01 Dec 2020, 17:50 Lol at the handstand poos I'm trying to picture thatπŸ˜‚ My minis never did this, but maybe it's a top dog thing, big dog always marks the highest
I'll have to try and get photo =))

Different dog antics are always fun to hear about :D
Our first family dog