When do you know.....

Feeding, training and healthcare for our older furry bearded friends.
klwurth
Puppy
First Name: Kelly

Re: When do you know.....

Post by klwurth »

Lyndsey and Matt, I'm sorry you're going through this. We had to let our Gilda go recently, and it was the hardest decision I'd had to face as a pet owner. Like you, I'd kept my girl alive against the odds, for a year in kidney failure. She stayed joyful and engaged, walking and eating, until the last week. But in the process, I came to realize one thing. There is no perfect time, but a little soon is better than too late.

One thing I read that was helpful was this: Make a list of the top five simple things that have always given joy to your dog. When he or she can no longer do most or any of those things, then it's time to make a plan.

You will probably always see love in your dog's eyes, up to that last minute, if you don't let it go too long and let the pain take over. I had one other dear pet die in pain--it caught me off guard, and I didn't have access to a vet--and I resolved I'd not let Gilda go through that. As it was with Gilda, as the vet took care of her, we held her and whispered something we'd always told her when she went off-leash, "Free dog." And then she was at peace. It was the greatest gift we ever gave her. It still makes me sad, but I know it was right. I'd been able to see in her eyes, her life had been so reduced, she was only waiting for that freedom.

God bless you. You're so good to be thinking about what's best for your little one.

Kelly
redalert
First Name: Sue
Dog #1: Fizz
is a: Black Std Bitch
Born: 09 Jan 2010
Dog #2: Bo
is a: Black Std Bitch
Born: 16 Jan 2012

Re: When do you know.....

Post by redalert »

I agree totally with Kelly, a week to soon is better than a week to late. We had to let my gorgeous boy go in November 2015(a Boxer) and I arranged to have the vet come to the house, but before that we took him on his last walk and video'd it, to see him run and play you would never know there was anything wrong with him,(he had a large tumour on his leg which was breaking down and the Cancer had spread to his brain which meant he had a fit and the vet said that they would become more regular and distressing to both him and me). My eldest son and I were with him at the end, sat on the sofa nursing him, so he was totally relaxed, enjoying a cuddle, it was so peaceful, I had candles burning, soft music playing. I had arranged to have him cremated locally so I sat with him till they came to collect him and one of my girls actually lay with him. I collected him the next day, and they had taken paw prints from him so I was able to have silver earrings made with the paw print in them. I miss him so so much but I know I did what was best for him, and not for me. We had to have our previous Boxers PTS as an emergency and that is so stressful to both the dog and to yourself, as the saying goes, its best to be prepared. My heart goes out to you, but you know when the time is right.