recomended reading and items

Found a nice dog coat? Found a cozy pub that's Schnauzer friendly or even a Schnauzer friendly B&B. Feel free to share it here. Basically anything that we would want to buy for our Schnauzer goes here.
Mitch

Re: recomended reading and items

Post by Mitch »

ziggy wrote:
Mitch wrote:(sorry) Iv lost the sticky and cant get it back(wave)
Sorted

Thank you so much I was going greyer by the minute (kiss)
dannie_kl

Post by dannie_kl »

thanks mitch for your hard work. I think a section would be better than a sticky (IMO) and what i was thinking of was a recommended section with subsections of : Books and then you could add Toys, Accessories or whatever else you think, then things like books are easy to find or if someone wants to know what everyone thinks about kongs they go straight to the toy section if you all get what i am trying to say? i'm sure whatever the mods come up with it will be helpful at any rate!
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Hi Dannie

But dont you have to have it as a sticky so it stays at the top of a topic if it were just a section as in individual thread it would disappear down the pile I may be wrong but I think having it as one sticky is the way to go as having too many sections would be a bit of a waste but lets see what others think
Eddie
First Name: Graham

Post by Eddie »

I might have to side with Dannie on this one (I'm a sucker for the young ones) as I can see the benefit of a "Recommendation" section where we could have threads relating to whatever we want to recommend.
It would be good to get a bit of feedback from other members and see what the general feeling is. If we go that way we would have to decide what to call it as I think we would also end up with threads for things and places that are NOT recommended.
We're off to the "Eden Project" today and will have a poke around Cornwall until Sunday in the campervan so I may not be around all that much over the next few days. I think the caravan park has WiFi but I'm not going all that way to sit on the computer.
Graham, Judie, Eddie (19-03-07 to 25-07-12), Mouse, Daisy and little Reilly. Image
dannie_kl

Post by dannie_kl »

what i mean is a section like the rescue and rehoming section so its an area of its very own. then you go into a sub heading of whatever to list your recommendation.
Pottydottie

Post by Pottydottie »

I think it's a great idea, looking forward to it starting.
Molly (17/6/2005 - 11/9/2016) the 3 Essex girls Gemma, Dottie and Daisy Mae
schnauzerfan

Post by schnauzerfan »

2 books I have which I would recommend. 'The Pet-Friendly Garden' by Richard Barrett. ISBN 0330393162 It helps gardeners design a garden to share with a dog, cat or rabbit. Has a section on poisonous plants (though the list on this forum is rather more comprehensive!)
Also my 'bible' KISS Guide to Living With a Dog by Bruce Fogle (father of Ben) ISBN 07513 2723 9 As a brand new dog 'carer/mummy' I clung to this as I imagine some people cling to Gina Ford!
Sianny
First Name: Sian
Dog #1: Ralphy
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 12 Feb 2009
Dog #2: George
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 25 Mar 2011

Post by Sianny »

Follow Ralphy on Facebook (occasionally featuring George) http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ralphy-th ... 9952249008
Mari Obi and Fingal
First Name: Mari
Dog #1: Obi
is a: Black Giant Dog
Dog #2: Fingal
is a: Black Giant Dog

Post by Mari Obi and Fingal »

I recommend:
"Ruff Love: A Relationship Building Program for You and Your Dog"
Susan Garret; Paperback; £11.50

Sold by: Positive Animal Solutions (via amazon etc)
Mari

"Life is meaningless without a Giant"
http://obinsivut.suntuubi.com/?cat=11
Darwinsmum

Post by Darwinsmum »

I can recommend that too Mari, I've got it and funnily did most of it with Mia when I bought her home but only because I didn't trust Darwin with her and it has definitely paid off. I like the way Susan Garrett trains too.
Darwin and Mia 2 heatbeats at my feet
A life without dogs - I don't think so!
www.lincsdogtraining.co.uk
inkaschnauzer
First Name: Elizabeth
Dog #2: Leah
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 17 Nov 2010
Dog #3: Lara
Born: 27 Oct 2011

Post by inkaschnauzer »

The Miniature Schnauzer Handbook by Peter Newman is a useful book that can be obtained from The Miniature Schnauzer Club, http://the-miniature-schnauzer-club.co.uk/clubshop.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Heikismum
First Name: Lorraine

Post by Heikismum »

There's a new book about minis by a british author
The Miniature Schnauzer by Judy Childerley
http://www.quickpaw.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
countrygirl
First Name: Tania
Dog #1: Widget
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 20 Oct 2011

Post by countrygirl »

I've just finished reading 'In Defence of Dogs' by John Bradshaw. I know a few others have mentioned it before but I found it really interesting as a scientific perspective on dogs to aid our understanding of them as animals in our home, rather than focusing on training methods.

One of the books he recommends as further reading is Paul McGreevy's 'A Modern Dogs Life: How to do the best for your dog' - has anyone here read that?
Rufus: B&S mini 18/3/11 - 19/10/11
Widget: P&S mini 20/10/11
asfjhug

Post by asfjhug »

Thats a good idea - help us figure out which books our collections are missing!
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

This is a very old thread but worth reviving as Forum members who have joined in more recent years may have books they would like to recommend now since so many new publications have come out in the past decade and approaches to dog training etc. have also changed or been expanded to include new ways of viewing the relationship between dogs and humans.

I have just finished reading ‘Beyond the Breed’ by Heather Stevens which was an interesting look at how certain aspects of an individual dog’s character - the Functional Character - may be set from birth, irrespective of breed, and how that may affect their behaviour in general and specifically their interactions with other dogs and humans. The author describes the ‘Functional Character’ as determining a dog’s function within a social group and as such how it may affect the way in which it deals with canine / human relationships and also how it behaves in different environments. For anyone who is training their dog, or trying to address or just understand a dog’s behaviour, this can give added insight and, while the author acknowledges that a variety of other influences can affect how the Functional Character is displayed, aggravated or suppressed, it is a very interesting analysis of dog characters and well worth checking out.

It is an easy to read (quite short) book and has a number of links to relevant websites for more information on other topics from nutrition to health. I did enjoy the chance to take a different look at our own dogs’ characters and identify one Functional Character among our little pack very strongly defined in the descriptions and something I would not have considered before reading this. It is available from a few different outlets, including on Amazon Kindle at a reduced price but there is a link to the book website page:

https://www.beyondthebreed.co.uk/
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/