Racing stripes

The Miniature Schnauzer is a smallest dog in the Schnauzer breed and originated in the mid-to-late 19th Century from Germany. The Miniature Schnauzer is a cross between the Standard Schnauzer and other smaller breeds such as the Poodle. A miniature Schnauzer is a spunky, but aloof dog who does things their own way. They tend to be good guard dogs without the tendency to bite.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
Schnauzerluv
First Name: Kat
Dog #1: Ozzy
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 30 Jul 2020
Dog #2: Lily
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 12 Aug 2022

Racing stripes

Post by Schnauzerluv »

Why do some P&S mini schnauzers have a black racing stripe down their backs?
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: Racing stripes

Post by zeta1454 »

The darker stripe along the back in P&S minis is not uncommon and was a trait that was prized at one time in the past but then fell out of favour. I think it occurs quite naturally but not sure why. I have read of it being called a ‘tiger’ stripe and a ‘donkey’ stripe. When it was in favour, some breeders may have tried to retain the trait by breeding those dogs that showed it strongly but nowadays I think it just occurs naturally in certain dogs and is not a fault or a benefit in terms of showing, for example :)
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Schnauzerluv

Post by Schnauzerluv »

Thank you for your answer Leigh! It was just out of curiousity, I guess it's not known why it occurs. Maybe a trait from one of the other breeds to make the smaller version schnauzer.
schnauzer
First Name: Christine
Dog #1: Suzi (RIP) 13/4/17
Born: 15 May 2004
Dog #2: Gino/Siglette Shadow
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 09 May 2017

Post by schnauzer »

My last girl had the stripe down her back, her groomer who had 40 yrs of Mini's from breeding to grooming called it the Donkey stripe, my boy who I now have doesnt have it glad to say
Christine & Gino (Siglette Shadow (born 9/5/17 ---

Suzi (15/5/04---13/4/17) (Sugarbabe) RIP loved you to the moon & back, miss you so so much precious girl
Schnauzerluv

Post by Schnauzerluv »

Tiger stripe sounds nicer 😉

I think it's pretty sick, I like it. Not your thing Christine? My two passed S&P pups didn't have it either. But my girl Chelsea was a complete dark dark grey almost black anyway. Although she lightened up when she got older like double digits.
schnauzer
First Name: Christine
Dog #1: Suzi (RIP) 13/4/17
Born: 15 May 2004
Dog #2: Gino/Siglette Shadow
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 09 May 2017

Post by schnauzer »

Schnauzerluv wrote: 18 Oct 2021, 22:44 Tiger stripe sounds nicer 😉

I think it's pretty sick, I like it. Not your thing Christine? My two passed S&P pups didn't have it either. But my girl Chelsea was a complete dark dark grey almost black anyway. Although she lightened up when she got older like double digits.
Tiger stripe does sound better have to say I didn't like it on my last girl, think it was because her groomer called it the donkey stripe & she gave me the impression that it was something to do with her pedigree but she did have a good pedigree anyway I still loved her to bits just said she was different & unique with it.
Christine & Gino (Siglette Shadow (born 9/5/17 ---

Suzi (15/5/04---13/4/17) (Sugarbabe) RIP loved you to the moon & back, miss you so so much precious girl
Schnauzerluv

Post by Schnauzerluv »

Ok yeah, she sounds so sweet!