are girls more aloof?

The Miniature Schnauzer is a smallest dog in the Schnauzer breed and originated in the mid-to-late 19th Century from Germany. The Miniature Schnauzer is a cross between the Standard Schnauzer and other smaller breeds such as the Poodle. A miniature Schnauzer is a spunky, but aloof dog who does things their own way. They tend to be good guard dogs without the tendency to bite.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
machosky
Puppy
First Name: Sarah

are girls more aloof?

Post by machosky »

would you agree with this article? http://schnauzerlover.com/boy-or-girl-p ... hey%20age. I'm looking for a schnauzer mainly because I think they are funny, should I stick to boys?
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Re: are girls more aloof?

Post by Dawnspell »

I've only had boys but have come across the saying "Girl dogs will love you but boys dogs will be in love with you" that has certainly been true of my boys especially my first his world wasnt complete without me :x
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
machosky
Puppy
First Name: Sarah

Post by machosky »

People say the same about boy and girl children! They say boys are more cuddly
schnauzer
First Name: Christine
Dog #1: Suzi (RIP) 13/4/17
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 15 May 2004
Dog #2: Gino/Siglette Shadow
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 09 May 2017

Post by schnauzer »

We have Gino who will be 4yrs old soon, he is so loving & a joy to have, we got him when we lost our first Schnauzer a girl, her groomer told me about the litter that was due, we weren't sure about having another but decided to take a boy & he certainly eased the pain that I was left with losing our precious girl. Our boy has certainly been easier to train but then maybe it was because we had 12 years schnauzer experience with having Suzi.

Now that I have had one of each if I had to do it all over again I'm not sure what I would do, as was always into female dogs. Loved my girl to bits but my boy is a joy & a pleasure to have. My girl was loving but in her own way & was aloof at times where as Gino is my Shadow.
Christine & Gino (Siglette Shadow (born 9/5/17 ---

Suzi (15/5/04---13/4/17) (Sugarbabe) RIP loved you to the moon & back, miss you so so much precious girl
Schnauzerluv
First Name: Kat
Dog #1: Ozzy
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 30 Jul 2020
Dog #2: Lily
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 12 Aug 2022

Post by Schnauzerluv »

I've had 4 minis now, 2 girls, 2 boys. I was very young with my 1st schnauzer, but I've had 3 since on my own, 2 boys, one girl.

1st dog on my own was Snoop. We did everything together, helped me with yardwork, came camping with me, hiking trips, he was my little buddy, it was me and Snoop. He was so gentle, more like a person than a dog, so chill, so confident. I'd say for cuddles he wasn't a lap dog, but neither was my female. He prefered to rest on the floor, but he gave the sweetest kisses and loved to be cuddled at nighttime making the cutest little "happy grunts". My nose fit perfectly in the bridge of his lol.

We got Chelsea girl 1.5 years later. Tbh I didn't notice much aloofness from Chelsea. She was always with me in her senior years, before that I had both dogs, so probably was a little harder to form a personal bond like having an only dog. As a pup she took more to my husband, used to watch TV with him. She loved it when the boys came over to watch wrestling. She literally watched the TV, identifying animals or fighting (UFC ect) and used to react each time lol. She even leaned music on commercials with pets and also the Hockey Night in Canada theme song because there was a dog "Blue" that showed up. So I guess a total daddy's girl haha! She still showed me all the love I could ask for, my sunshine, my heart dog, got me through my hardest times.

Now we have Ozzy boy. He's about 8.5 months now. After having the two previous minis, I'm more savy how to train him and how a schnauzer works. Although, I never found it difficult to train any schnauzer, they are so smart and personable. I've also learned about modern training methods that are working great for us. He surprises me everyday with how good he is! He gets compliments literally almost everyday haha! Anyway, none of my schnauzers have been lap dogs, Snoop and Ozzy prefer the floor and Chelsea was always up on the sofa beside or against us. Snoop and Ozzy like to cuddle up to a pillow ha! Still no shortage of kisses from either of them. In fact I think the boys were bigger kissers 😂
TanyaE
First Name: Tanya
Dog #1: Poppy
is a: P/S Mini Bitch

Post by TanyaE »

We have Poppy, she's almost 8 months now and she is like our shadow. Follows us everywhere around the house, and loves cuddles and kisses. She makes happy grunts too! She'll lay down on my husbands lap most evenings but not mine, but i think that's maybe because there's more room on his lap! This is the first schnauzer we've had so can't compare with a boy, but we've been surprised at just how loving and affectionate she is, as I'd always read that they can be a little aloof. She is still young though, so whether it's her age at the moment I'm not sure, but hopefully she doesn't grow out of it!
Schnauzerluv
First Name: Kat
Dog #1: Ozzy
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 30 Jul 2020
Dog #2: Lily
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 12 Aug 2022

Post by Schnauzerluv »

Welcome Tanya 🤗 Who knows for sure, but IME they are less lovy dovy as pups. There's just too much to play with, see and learn! I don't think it's something they really grow out of. In fact since I've written this Ozzy's been snuggling a lot next to me. Dogs (schnauzers) are the best!

I realised I forgot to mention Chelsea was ALWAYS around us, we would say how satisfied she was just to be in the same room as us. I loved how she would melt into you when she was your arms. Even at the vet, she noticed the love when in her arms, I could see it on her face, it was the sweetest feeling. I haven't had too many schnauzers, but I def could say Chelsea was the sweetest cuddle bug I could have imagined.