He won't let us vacuum the house

The Miniature Schnauzer is a smallest dog in the Schnauzer breed and originated in the mid-to-late 19th Century from Germany. The Miniature Schnauzer is a cross between the Standard Schnauzer and other smaller breeds such as the Poodle. A miniature Schnauzer is a spunky, but aloof dog who does things their own way. They tend to be good guard dogs without the tendency to bite.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
Mbright
Puppy
First Name: Sarah

Re: He won't let us vacuum the house

Post by Mbright »

Our eldest doesn’t care when its the main big attachment but when we switch to the smaller handheld attachment he just wants to stick his face in it.

What worked for us was asking him to go to his bed (place command). He now lies there for the duration of the hoovering. Another suggestion would be to desensitise him and reward calm behaviour when the hoover is on. We use this command for other things such as when the doorbell rings as he gets too excited and starts howling. He now knows “doorbell” means to lie on his bed.
Lou78
First Name: Louise
Dog #1: Ollie
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 26 Jun 2013

Post by Lou78 »

Same! Ollie doesn't like the hoover, ...or does he?!? I can't decide if he is scared of it, thinks it is alive because it moves, thinks it is a toy, thinks it will attack us... no idea...! Whichever one of us is hoovering, he has to sit on the sofa with the other one! If we are on our own hoovering, he will come down onto the floor and just eye it suspiciously! So odd! He is not afraid of other noises; Washing machine, lawn mower all fine.

They are funny characters aren't they?!
Schnauzerluv
First Name: Kat
Dog #1: Ozzy
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 30 Jul 2020
Dog #2: Lily
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 12 Aug 2022

Post by Schnauzerluv »

🤣.....

I know my boy just wants to play. From fearful pup to not afraid of much!