Dylans ears

The Miniature Schnauzer is a smallest dog in the Schnauzer breed and originated in the mid-to-late 19th Century from Germany. The Miniature Schnauzer is a cross between the Standard Schnauzer and other smaller breeds such as the Poodle. A miniature Schnauzer is a spunky, but aloof dog who does things their own way. They tend to be good guard dogs without the tendency to bite.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
Schnauzerluv
First Name: Kat
Dog #1: Ozzy
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 30 Jul 2020
Dog #2: Lily
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 12 Aug 2022

Re: Dylans ears

Post by Schnauzerluv »

Dawnspell wrote: 22 Oct 2021, 09:57
Limeybastard wrote: 22 Oct 2021, 06:19
Dawnspell wrote: 21 Oct 2021, 09:16
You may mock but it makes a big difference if you have a dog like Jasper with ears of character. He has a semi crease across his ears and I keep the hair longer and that keeps them down. I'm sure if I completely shaved them they would stand straight up. They certainly stand higher when I've just trimmed them. Believe it or not even after a good wash his ears stand higher and we're only talking grubby ears not caked on mud. So yes the milligrams make a difference :D
Wasn’t mocking. More shocked than anything else to be honest. I remember I’d clip Cleo’s hair myself and they’d be huge amount of it filling the bin. It never weighed much. Like dust almost , weight wise.
I was saying "mock" more tongue in cheek :)) It makes a difference on the legs too. People think that if the leg hair is long then they'll get the show type look but the hair a bit shorter will stay fluffed out more. The weight of the long hair pulls it down making it look shorter.
Thanks for that info! I have only recently been learning how I want to keep the furnishings. Lots of brushing and angles I didn't know about.

Ozzy's ears are very flat close to his skull. More so than most other mini schnauzers I see. I think he has big ears and I've always left them fluffy on the outside, I think it looks so cute on a puppy especially with a little ear scruff. I think it matches Ozzy's personality anyway....But some prefer a trimmed up smart ear, so it's all what you like.
Frederickdawg
First Name: Freddy
Dog #1: Tobias
Born: 07 Jul 2021

Post by Frederickdawg »

Today I noticed Toby’s left ear slightly up and to one side when he was sitting in his crate on two separate occasions. But all normal and down as soon as he came out.
Female black and silver mini born 15.1.14. Gone way too soon. RIP my sweet darling Sept 28 2021 😭 we'll never forgot Cleo. You left a hole in our hearts.

Male black and silver mini born 7.7.21, you naughty boy Tobias. :p “time for jail “. ( crate ).
Schnauzerluv

Post by Schnauzerluv »

Ozzy holds one ear to the side on occasion too! I think it's just his big ears lol. Maybe if it were smaller it'd stand right up!
Frederickdawg

Post by Frederickdawg »

Schnauzerluv wrote: 08 Nov 2021, 18:41 Ozzy holds one ear to the side on occasion too! I think it's just his big ears lol. Maybe if it were smaller it'd stand right up!
Thanks for the message. I suppose as he’s coming of age this is occurring more often. I notice the left or right ear more often occasionally slightly up and pointing side ways. But then it’s mostly down all day.
Female black and silver mini born 15.1.14. Gone way too soon. RIP my sweet darling Sept 28 2021 😭 we'll never forgot Cleo. You left a hole in our hearts.

Male black and silver mini born 7.7.21, you naughty boy Tobias. :p “time for jail “. ( crate ).
Schnauzerluv

Post by Schnauzerluv »

I think for Ozzy he is just holding it that way. When he's really excited and running or playing, his ears are back. If he's not sure of something, they are a bit to the side. If he's intrigued, they are facing in the front and he's holding them up (even though his big flap still folds over). And as I've mentioned, sometimes he is holding only one ear to the side and out a bit. As long as he can relax it when he's relaxed, I personally think it's just normal.
Frederickdawg

Post by Frederickdawg »

Schnauzerluv wrote: 12 Nov 2021, 21:21 I think for Ozzy he is just holding it that way. When he's really excited and running or playing, his ears are back. If he's not sure of something, they are a bit to the side. If he's intrigued, they are facing in the front and he's holding them up (even though his big flap still folds over). And as I've mentioned, sometimes he is holding only one ear to the side and out a bit. As long as he can relax it when he's relaxed, I personally think it's just normal.
Thanks. You seem to be right, since I’m observing those exact movements also now.