Hi I am Michelle and own a beautiful black mini I am interested in breeding him

Information on finding your puppy, the Assured Breeders Scheme, the Kennel Club and issues relating to breeding your Schnauzer are dealt with in this section.
Forum rules
Please do not discuss breeders or raise issues concerning breeders on the forum. This has created problems in the past and many breeders are not members and unable to defend any claim you may make.
Ollie2018
Puppy
First Name: Michelle

Hi I am Michelle and own a beautiful black mini I am interested in breeding him

Post by Ollie2018 »

Ollie2018
Puppy

Re: Hi I am Michelle and own a beautiful black mini I am interested in breeding him

Post by Ollie2018 »

Would anyone who has experience in breeding have a female companion near Greenisland area must be kc registered
Ollie2018
Puppy

Re: Hi I am Michelle and own a beautiful black mini I am interested in breeding him

Post by Ollie2018 »

Ollie2018
Puppy

Post by Ollie2018 »

Ollie2018
Puppy

Post by Ollie2018 »

Hi I have a beautiful black mini with a excellent temperament I am interested in using him for a stud this will be his first time so I will need someone who has experience in this, he is fully kc registered with kc papers, his kc name is park oak of Ardglass any help would be appreciated
Dinkum
Tech Team
First Name: Dean
Dog #1: Rupert RIP
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 24 Dec 2010
Dog #2: Watson
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 21 Feb 2012

Post by Dinkum »

Hello Michelle. Welcome to the forum.

Asking about breeding from a pet dog can bring out some strong emotions on the forum, so please be prepared. Whilst we are happy for members to ask for advice on breeding or studding their dog, please do not use the forum to solicit offers for breeding purposes from fellow members.

There are loads of really valuable resources in the breeding section that you may find of interest.

Enjoy.
Dean (Dog dad)
Rupert, black mini, 24/12/10 - 01/03/24
Watson, black mini born 21/02/12

I offer my advice freely, but I am not an expert, breeder, groomer or behaviourist. It is simply my experience of raising pups in a way that seems to make sense.
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

Hello Michelle and welcome to the Forum :)

I could not find your dog listed on the Kennel Club website under the name you gave but there are a number of questions that you need to consider before thinking of using your dog for breeding. Generally speaking, as breeding responsibly has the aim of producing the highest quality, healthy and good temperament dogs, the best breeders wanting to have a litter from their bitch will look for stud dogs that are known to them, from excellent lines and who may have proved themselves in the show ring. They want to improve or enhance the best qualities of their bitch and will be looking for a dog that can fulfil that. This is no different whether the puppies are going to family homes as a pet which by far the majority will do, or to homes who may want to show them or train them for agility or support dogs etc. All puppies should have the best start possible in life from the careful choice of parents to the structured raising of them by the breeder to be happy, healthy and self confident. The stud dog owner will be expected to understand the breeding process and guide the bitch’s owner with advice, not the other way round.

There is a useful short guide on the Kennel Club website which is worth looking at if you are thinking of using your dog at stud as it explains the responsibilities and requirements in an easy to follow checklist :

https://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/dog-br ... g-at-stud/

As you will see the following is expected from a stud dog owner:

“providing a stud dog contract
supervising the actual mating
knowing how to handle the bitch to ensure mating
ensuring the dogs are safe after they tie and that neither dog is hurt or injured
assisting or advising if the bitch shows little interest in mating
being available to give advice to the owner of the bitch on whelping or puppy care
being willing to help with any problems with the puppies, i.e. health issues, rehoming etc.“

Breeding a bitch or a dog is a huge responsibility and should only be undertaken after carefully considering what effect using them for breeding will have on their future health and temperament after mating. No dogs should be used for mating randomly as you need to be certain that both parent dogs do not carry genes for any hereditary condition so, as regards miniature schnauzers, you will need both your dog and the bitch to have been DNA tested clear for MAC (Mycobacterium Avian Complex) and have clear eye screen results from a BVA ophthalmologist for Hereditary Cataracts and Progressive Retinal Atrophy. Hopefully both will also have a health test pedigree to confirm that previous dogs have also tested clear. A stud dog owner should also be certain that the owner of the bitch has an in-depth knowledge of the breed and the needs of the puppy/dog as regards grooming, nutrition etc. as breeders are the first point of call for advice and information from puppy buyers and should be offering a lifetime of the dog guarantee to take back or help re-home any dog they have bred so you will need to be sure the owner of any bitch you are using with your dog can and will fulfil their responsibility.

I do understand that when someone has a lovely pet dog they may think it would be ideal to breed from it but dog breeding is not something that a total novice should be considering. Join the breed clubs, attend shows when they re-start, get to know people who do breed responsibly and find a mentor who can guide you through the process for the future if it is something you really want to do. We had been living with and learning about miniature schnauzers through the breed clubs, and with the help and guidance of our dogs’ breeder for thirteen years before we felt confident to embark on having a litter and we did so with the support of the breeder of the mini schnauzer puppy we planned from the outset to breed from and from the owner of the stud dog we used who guided us through the mating and offered plenty of valuable advice. While there is no need to take quite as many years as we did, the huge responsibility of contributing to bringing new puppies into this world should not be undertaken lightly.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/