Good night, Atticus

Saying goodbye to our Schnauzers is the hardest part. Share your memories here as we bid farewell to our beloved friends. They've crossed the bridge and returned to the meadow in full health and free of injuries. Running free. We won't forget.
Dinkum
Tech Team
First Name: Dean
Dog #1: Rupert RIP
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 24 Dec 2010
Dog #2: Watson
Born: 21 Feb 2012

Good night, Atticus

Post by Dinkum »

Many of you will have read the book and followed the adventures of Tom and Atticus over the years. I woke to the sad news this morning that Atticus has gone to the Rainbow bridge. Run free, little man, and thanks for sharing with us.

From Atticus' Facebook page:

Tonight at 7:00 pm Tom held Atticus for the last time. They sat outside under the falling rain.

An injection relieved Atticus of his suffering from what doctors are calling a brain tumor. Perhaps Dr. Rachael Kleidon put it best when she told Tom that it was clear Atticus waited for Tom to come home from the hospital to him before they said goodbye.

It also breaks my heart to tell you that it was fourteen years ago this weekend that Tom first held eight week old Atticus in his arms.

Thank you for loving on special dog. (-Christina)
Dean (Dog dad)
Rupert, black mini, 24/12/10 - 01/03/24
Watson, black mini born 21/02/12

I offer my advice freely, but I am not an expert, breeder, groomer or behaviourist. It is simply my experience of raising pups in a way that seems to make sense.
GaryThomlinson
First Name: Gary
Dog #1: Penny
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Mar 2013
Dog #2: Daisy (Rescue)
Born: 28 Aug 2006

Re: Good night, Atticus

Post by GaryThomlinson »

An incredible story of true friendship. A reminder to all to cherish as all things come to an end.
Gary
BeeBee
First Name: Janetta

Post by BeeBee »

A sad loss in the world of dogs who epitomise the human-animal bond at its best.
Wonder what Tom will do now he has no dog with him. I haven't followed their story for quite a while and peeped in this morning when someone told me this news and see Tom's been ill himself.
As Gary says, we need to cherish all we can, it's never here for long enough.
Jasmine (RIP) Renae b.01.11.10, sister to Susie-Belle (RIP), Twinkle (RIP), Cerise & Albert Claude puppy farm rescues, my muses
Creator of Schnauzerfest a good thing made possible by 1000s of good people & dogs
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Susie-Be ... 0289434936
http://www.janettaharvey.com/
lj_thorne
First Name: Lisa
Dog #1: Barnaby
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 16 Oct 2010
Dog #2: Albert
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 24 Jul 2012
Dog #3: Sherman
Born: 21 Sep 2014

Post by lj_thorne »

It's so sad, Atticus had been unwell for a little while and Tom has been really poorly himself. Atticus seems to have waited to make sure Tom was better before his time was over. This is why dogs are truly our best friends and sometimes I don't think we even realise how in tune they are with us.

Run free little man x
Human slave to my three furry boys Albert, Sherman and Rupert the Bear

Barnaby 🌈

https://m.facebook.com/schnauzerlads/
Wookie Woo
First Name: Helen
Dog #1: Wookie
Born: 01 Sep 2009

Post by Wookie Woo »

I read this this morning on Facebook and thought how sad but how Tom had given Atticus such an amazing life (and of course Will) then I had a little chat with our Wookie and said "you've got to stay fit and healthy until you are at least 15" (she's 6 now) then gave her a cuddle and nearly squished her ;) xx
Helen & Gary - owners of "Wookie" (since 11.6.2011)  born 1.9.2009 (Mini Schnauzer)
Previously owned Lucy our lovely cocker spaniel.
http://www.happydogwalksandpetcare.co.uk/
Gina

Post by Gina »

I was sad when I read the FB update - but how wonderful that after both being separated by life threatening illnesses they were able to have time at home to spend time together walking, talking and just "Be"ing.

Would that we could all have the chance to do that X

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk
Al T

Post by Al T »

Aye...brought a lump to my throat when I heard I'll tell you...welling up now!
Schnauzers turn you soft in the head!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/organize/ ... ab=new_set

Al.

"If a man speaks in the forest & there is no woman to hear him.....is he still wrong"..?? !!
redalert
First Name: Sue
Dog #1: Fizz
is a: Black Std Bitch
Born: 09 Jan 2010
Dog #2: Bo
is a: Black Std Bitch
Born: 16 Jan 2012

Post by redalert »

Terribly sad, but both Atticus and Will will be free to run in the sunshine free of pain.
the valkyrie
First Name: Cyndie

Post by the valkyrie »

I too have followed Tom and Atticus's story and just now my heart aches for Tom and the grief he must now feel.
Sleep tight little man, you spread a lot of joy in your life.
Our darling Cassie-too born 11.1.2006 left us 1.6. 2012.
Miss you every day little girl xx
sue+lex
First Name: Sue
Dog #1: Lexi (died 6/10/16)
Born: 16 Jun 2004
Dog #2: Ziva
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 11 Nov 2016

Post by sue+lex »

Tom and Atticus had a really special bond ...Sleep tight Atticus and run free at the bridge
Maty
First Name: Kate
Dog #1: Isaura Lucidus
Born: 10 Aug 2011
Dog #2: Darksprite Finn Mac
Born: 17 Mar 2013

Post by Maty »

So after the sadness, the good news is getting another dog very soon :D But it isn't a Schnauzer :( :(( :-o
Maty

Rodders the Mini Pup, born 10/08/11, came home on 09/10/11
Creggan the Mini Pup, born 17/03/13, came home on 01/06/13

Proud of my Scottish Heritage
mikegoodson1
First Name: Mike
Dog #1: Oscar
Born: 17 Oct 2015
Dog #2: Sasha
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Born: 23 Sep 2017

Post by mikegoodson1 »

I know this is an old thread but I finished reading "Following Atticus" last week and immediately started "Will's Red Coat" which I finished this lunchtime - I have to say that the last 10 pages or so of Will's Red Coat took a long time to read, I needed regular breaks to keep from crying, very emotional. And being the human companion to my two mini-Schnauzers, you cannot help but put yourself in that position and wonder how you will react/feel when that time comes for you, when it's time for your dogs to cross the bridge. I don't even want to think about it.

What beautiful words in both books and both Will and Atticus sounded like amazing beings, as well of course Tom. I wasn't familiar with this story at all and have spent the last 20 minutes trying to find out how Atticus is doing only to find he passed in May 2016. I have looked on the 'Following Atticus' FB page and can see that Tom has a couple more dogs now that I assume are also rescues (like Will) - does anyone know the story there and how things are going for Tom?

Or can point me in the direction of a link?

Thank you.
Bodee
First Name: Boyd

Post by Bodee »

mikegoodson1 wrote:I know this is an old thread but I finished reading "Following Atticus" last week and immediately started "Will's Red Coat" which I finished this lunchtime - I have to say that the last 10 pages or so of Will's Red Coat took a long time to read, I needed regular breaks to keep from crying, very emotional. And being the human companion to my two mini-Schnauzers, you cannot help but put yourself in that position and wonder how you will react/feel when that time comes for you, when it's time for your dogs to cross the bridge. I don't even want to think about it.

What beautiful words in both books and both Will and Atticus sounded like amazing beings, as well of course Tom. I wasn't familiar with this story at all and have spent the last 20 minutes trying to find out how Atticus is doing only to find he passed in May 2016. I have looked on the 'Following Atticus' FB page and can see that Tom has a couple more dogs now that I assume are also rescues (like Will) - does anyone know the story there and how things are going for Tom?

Thank you.
Mike go onto Youtube and put in Following Atticus and you will see a trailer made for the book and various other videos dedicated to Tom Atticus and I think Will is there too.
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

mikegoodson1 wrote:I know this is an old thread but I finished reading "Following Atticus" last week and immediately started "Will's Red Coat" which I finished this lunchtime - I have to say that the last 10 pages or so of Will's Red Coat took a long time to read, I needed regular breaks to keep from crying, very emotional. And being the human companion to my two mini-Schnauzers, you cannot help but put yourself in that position and wonder how you will react/feel when that time comes for you, when it's time for your dogs to cross the bridge. I don't even want to think about it.

Thank you.
Tom does have two rescue dogs now. I think both are mixed breed not schnauzers but sweet looking dogs :) They are named Samwise Atticus Passaconaway and Emily Binx Hawthorne and you can see photos of them on Tom's Instagram page '@tomandsamwise' - there may also be more details about them if you go back through the Facebook page too.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Just finished reading this - had me blubbing even though it wasn't a sad ending. I wonder if Atticus was really a schnauzer. It was the bit where they came across a brown bear and Atticus saw it, froze and stayed silent until it wandered off. My text would have read "Otto, upon seeing the bear, leapt 3 feet into the air, barked like crazy whilst galloping towards it only to then realise the immense size of the issue and not small risk to himself causing him to retreat rapidly leaving Mum to deal with the fall out." Yes that's more like it. :D
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.