Grooming the schnauzer head and legs p3

Grooming is an important part of looking after your Schnauzer. Regular grooming will help keep your Schnauzer healthy and comfortable and you will spot potential problems early. Whether you decide to clip or strip your Schnauzer, help is on hand. Schnauzers are generally a non-shedding breed and will require a fair amount of grooming to get rid of dead hair.
Sianny
First Name: Sian
Dog #1: Ralphy
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 12 Feb 2009
Dog #2: George
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 25 Mar 2011

Re: Grooming the schnauzer head and legs p3

Post by Sianny »

I think I'm going to (one day) do the foundation course of 10 weeks just to learn nails ears and anal glands and how to do them safely. Bridgend college do it. I think Jo teaches too, shame I'm now 4 hours away rather than an hour!
Follow Ralphy on Facebook (occasionally featuring George) http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ralphy-th ... 9952249008
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

Anal glands...I'll never forget asking my mentor "Can I please do the glands?!" when I wanted to take the plunge and learn how...

Never again.
dannie_kl

Post by dannie_kl »

sian i cant imagine it will take you 10 weeks to learn nails, ears and anal glands. will you be learning anything else in the 10 weeks?
Judi Ibbotson
First Name: Judi
Dog #1: Little Gem
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 16 Mar 2011

Post by Judi Ibbotson »

Hi
Has anyone tried using a very coarse nail file on nails, the sort that manicurists use on false nails? I find it works really well, I do Nesta's once a week and you can keep them very neat
Judi & the lovely Little Gem
Snazy
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Tara
is a: Black Giant Bitch
Born: 09 Sep 1998
Dog #2: Fria
is a: White Mini Bitch
Born: 15 Apr 2012
Dog #3: Vala
Born: 28 Feb 2012

Post by Snazy »

I sometimes use a dremmel on the dogs - it would take to long to do all of them weekly!

Sian - yes I use the same technique - clip out to the edges of the ear on both sides going off the ear, this way you are left with a ragged fringe of hair and you can both see and feel where the ear ends, i then use thumb and first finger to hold the edge of the ear, so the scissors can't cut the ear if the dog moves.

Beth, no need to get snippy, some things are best discussed in a new thread where others aren't going to miss the topic and it doesn't derail the current thread which is for help on specific parts of grooming the dog. Anyone who knows how to groom that part is welcome to chip in with their way of doing it - as i already said, there are often several ways of grooming the same part.

And I will add - if someone wants a specific person to answer a specific question - try sending them a PM instead of repeating it again and again in the same thread - if a person has missed it once, they may well not see the repeats either.
'Pedigree indicates what the animal should be
Conformation indicates what the animal appears to be
But performance indicates what the animal is'

Anonymous

Beanara Minature & Giant Schnauzers
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

I didn't see any part of my comment as snippy, but I'm sure we all misread things now and then, me included!

I've been criticised for asking for PM's instead of discussion in open forum, especially when the topic could be helpful for others, which is why I just asked here. You've also stated before that you sometimes mark the forums as read, so I was just bumping so that you'd see the thread re-highlighted. Didn't mean to seem pushy, so I'm really really sorry if it came off that way!
johnstonu

Post by johnstonu »

Many thanks for the advice around grooming. I am new to this forum, I have a schnauzer called Ruby who hates going to be groomed and gets very nervous so have decided to try and do it myself but I am aware that it will take me quite a while to get the hang of it. I just don't want her to look too stupid. Has anyone got any advice for how to start. Many thanks
Snazy
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Tara
Born: 09 Sep 1998
Dog #2: Fria
is a: White Mini Bitch
Born: 15 Apr 2012
Dog #3: Vala
Born: 28 Feb 2012

Post by Snazy »

Have a look for a local exhibitor who can give you a lesson on how to groom your dog, it will get you off to a good start and give you confidence
'Pedigree indicates what the animal should be
Conformation indicates what the animal appears to be
But performance indicates what the animal is'

Anonymous

Beanara Minature & Giant Schnauzers
ziggyZIGGY1234
Puppy
First Name: Sandra

Re: Grooming the schnauzer head.

Post by ziggyZIGGY1234 »

Snazy wrote:Image

The dog above has had to much taken out from the inner corner of the eye, so you can see the white stripe running into the mask (black section of beard falling from top of muzzle)

Bringing the line of the beard forward more (as in OP) will make this head more brick shaped and remove the whispy bits at the side where there isn't really a clear line between beard and cheek. I see this often on schnauzers whose owners groom their own dog between professional trims, as they aren't sure where the line is, so err on the side of caution, so slowly the beard creeps further back.

again the beardline could move further forward, at the moment when you look at this picture the first thing you see is BEARD and oh yes, there is also a dog there! Leaving the eyebrows with more length down the nose will give the head more balance.
My mini is quite curly, so his eyebrows look like they have had a perm most of the time. Do I have then joined in the middle or as seperates
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

Its entirely up to you but the traditional cut has a gap in the middle :)
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Nika C
First Name: danika
Born: 0- 1- 0

Post by Nika C »

Bran's undercoat is quite curly too, he has a gap between his brows but you can't tell most of the time ;)
Maty
First Name: Kate
Dog #1: Isaura Lucidus
Born: 10 Aug 2011
Dog #2: Darksprite Finn Mac
Born: 17 Mar 2013

Post by Maty »

I know a few dogs with a monobrow, they tend to keep the length shorter and I think it looks very cute ;)
Maty

Rodders the Mini Pup, born 10/08/11, came home on 09/10/11
Creggan the Mini Pup, born 17/03/13, came home on 01/06/13

Proud of my Scottish Heritage
lj_thorne
First Name: Lisa
Dog #1: Barnaby
Born: 16 Oct 2010
Dog #2: Albert
Born: 24 Jul 2012
Dog #3: Sherman
Born: 21 Sep 2014

Post by lj_thorne »

Barnaby has a huge gap in the middle but he still monobrows whether they are short or long!!!! I think it's just who he wants to be!!!! =))
Human slave to my three furry boys Albert, Sherman and Rupert the Bear

Barnaby ๐ŸŒˆ

https://m.facebook.com/schnauzerlads/
Grice
First Name: Melanie

Post by Grice »

Really interesting thread!

Can I clarify about the '8' head? Is it caused by the dog having round cheeks, or the beard being too far forward, or both? Do you have a comparison picture of how the more brick head looks from the front and a figure of 8 head please? I'd not heard of that expression before.
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

Its from the beard being to far forward. A lot of groomers take the beard short from underneath the eye which is just where the cheeks start to go in so you get the indentation or figure "8" effect. If the cheeks are chubby you would just adjust how much beard to take away in order to give the brick effect.

My slightly unwilling and unbrushed model will demonstrate
From the front his head is brick / olong shape as his beard fills in the gap

If I pull in the hair underneath his eyes as though he didn't have any beard there, you can sort of see his cheeks and the figure "8"

Hope that helps even with the bad photos :))
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"