Stone vs knife?

Grooming is an important part of looking after your Schnauzer. Regular grooming will help keep your Schnauzer healthy and comfortable and you will spot potential problems early. Whether you decide to clip or strip your Schnauzer, help is on hand. Schnauzers are generally a non-shedding breed and will require a fair amount of grooming to get rid of dead hair.
Gehlsurf
Puppy
First Name: Matthew

Stone vs knife?

Post by Gehlsurf »

Hi folks,

Got a now 10 week old Standard Schnauzer that I'm trying to maintain/groom. Coming from owning short haired breeds, it's, um, interesting.... lol.

So I've got the Groomer.dk Pro rake (stainless steel double sided), nothing comes out, almost nothing comes out with a pin brush, either, although I do it daily just to spend time with him and keep him shiny.

So, I suppose his wire coat is coming in, as he had little porcupine looking wires sticking out (black with grey tips). I used a stone cut to my hand, and many of these hairs came out with what I assume is stripping, still learning. They came out even length, super easy, he's a squiggle worm and would complain if it hurt, but nothing, actually relaxed!!! They all had long grey tips and tiny, tiny roots and of equal length. And now his coat lays closer to his body, except for his head, but those didnt come out easy, so I didn't force it. Part of this is him and I getting used to this process.

So, my question is..... if a stone works, or it seems to, why use a knife? Will this change as he gets older? Or as his fur gets more wiry? With just rubbing the rounded side of the stone, it seemed to cut his hair, uneven and kinky hairs. Hence me cutting it to fit my hand and using my fingers.

Thanks for any replies!!

It means alot to me that I get this right, so any help is super appreciated. I'd like to try and strip his legs and such as well, when I see old pics of standards, I'd have to assume they stripped legs as well, so I have a lot of stripping in my future, as I like vintage looks. In fact, watching the Groomer.dk youtube vid, she actually alludes to stop stripping at a certain point on the rear leg, and and says that's how you get "old style". That's what I want, an old world looking dog, lol. Alot of maintenance and patience ahead of me. So again, thank you for the help!

Here's a pic for reference, and who doesnt like puppy pics? BTW, this was before his session today.
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Re: Stone vs knife?

Post by Dawnspell »

Are you using the stone in your hand and gripping the hair with your thumb against it as you would a stripping knife or are you just running it across the body?
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Gehlsurf
Puppy

Post by Gehlsurf »

I am gripping it with my thumb, trapping hairs between thumb and stone.

I tried the rubbing the stone against the body, but when using the flat side, it did nothing. When I used the rounded side, it took hairs or various lengths, some kinky and without roots, so I assume that this was cutting rather than stripping. I suppose the rounded side is more course? Or shows the edge more?
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

I totally didn't answer your original question about stone vs knife. I would say if you find stone easiest then go for it. Its not a one piece of equipment will be the best for every dog. Ive only stripped 2 and I've found differences in grooming them both and you would have thought given they are related white minis they would be the same.

Id read of people stripping with the stone as you are but found it really bulky, probably easier on larger size dog. I have made my own stripping stone knife by sticking a small piece of stone on a knife I didn't use. It does wear down after a few weeks but I just rub all the stone off on a slab step and stick a new bit on.
This I find I can get hair out easier on his tail, head and top of the hock to knee area on the back leg( hope you know which bit I mean) than with the knife. Whereas I find the knife gets more hair out quicker on his body.
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Gehlsurf
Puppy

Post by Gehlsurf »

Ah, ok, so just personal preference, really. He's not a show dog, lol, which is good, so we can learn this together....

I'll try a knife, who knows, maybe it will feel better? Yeah, I understand about using it on other parts. It may not work as fast as a knife, but this young, he's still a squiggle worm, so a blunt lava rock may be best for now in areas that he moves quickly anyhow, like legs and stuff.

Thanks!!