Stripping the beard?

Grooming is an important part of looking after your Schnauzer. Regular grooming will help keep your Schnauzer healthy and comfortable and you will spot potential problems early. Whether you decide to clip or strip your Schnauzer, help is on hand. Schnauzers are generally a non-shedding breed and will require a fair amount of grooming to get rid of dead hair.
Schnauzerluv
First Name: Kat
Dog #1: Ozzy
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 30 Jul 2020
Dog #2: Lily
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 12 Aug 2022

Stripping the beard?

Post by Schnauzerluv »

I was watching a video demonstrating how to hand strip, it was a Brussel Griffin as a model who gets his whole body hand stripped with very minimal scissoring. The groomer hand stripped a bit of the beard.

I have noticed Ozzy has a bushy full beard. I have recently taken off a bit more the back/under the top jaw of the beard and it helped, but i'm wondering if I hand stripped some hairs there instead (like under the mask) if it would help it lie flatter?

Anyone ever hand strip in the beard?
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Re: Stripping the beard?

Post by Dawnspell »

No never tried that. I'll watch see how you get on =))
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Gehlsurf
Puppy
First Name: Matthew

Post by Gehlsurf »

I'd be interested to see what it would look like, but to be honest, sounds like alot of work and a fast way to get bit or your knife end up chipping a tooth.

But.... I am new to Schnauzers, have a 10 week old, so maybe your adult would be different? Mine will bite anything close to his face, but he is a pup. I thought, "oh, wanna bite the grooming stone? Fine, you'll learn.... bite the pin brush and greyhound comb? For sure you'll let go in disgust...." nope, seemed to enjoy the stone, lol. Creeped me out!! Not sure if I have a Standard Schnauzer or a fuzzy Great White sometimes....
Schnauzerluv
First Name: Kat
Dog #1: Ozzy
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 30 Jul 2020
Dog #2: Lily
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 12 Aug 2022

Post by Schnauzerluv »

Haha, I didn't end up stripping the beard. But I got one of those deshedding tools (Andis) and that helped to keep it lying flatter. I'm just very careful with his black hair mask hairs on the bridge of his snout because I don't want to damage those.