Need to find a Groomer

Grooming is an important part of looking after your Schnauzer. Regular grooming will help keep your Schnauzer healthy and comfortable and you will spot potential problems early. Whether you decide to clip or strip your Schnauzer, help is on hand. Schnauzers are generally a non-shedding breed and will require a fair amount of grooming to get rid of dead hair.
Evans123
First Name: Guto

Re: Need to find a Groomer

Post by Evans123 »

Hi, I'm looking for a groomer near Cardiff, Wales, can anyone help?
irmina
Puppy
First Name: Irmina

: Need to find a Groomer edynburgh

Post by irmina »

Hi I have 6 month schanzuzer Tara and I am Looking groomer for exhibitions :) please help
Aarnold

Post by Aarnold »

Hi, does anybody know of a groomer in the Warwickshire area?
schnauday
First Name: Loujou

Post by schnauday »

The breed club websites have a groomers page, you should find one in your local area on there :)

Schnauzer Club of Great Britain - http://www.schnauzerclub.co.uk/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Miniature Schnauzer Club - http://www.theminiatureschnauzerclub.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Northern Schnauzer Club - http://www.northernschnauzerclub.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shawuk
First Name: Anne

Post by Shawuk »

Hello I'm new to this forum (ALL FORUMS). I have 2 minis - Barney 10 months and Tom 8 months. I need to get them groomed. Had a really bad experience with Barney he came out a mess. Does anyone know of an experienced groomer in the Bangor Co. Down area.

Many thanks
Pixiehannah
First Name: Hannah

Post by Pixiehannah »

Hi, I know this is an old thread but does anyone know of a groomer in Devon that does hand stripping? My girl is still only 10 weeks but am thinking when she's old enough and her coat is ready, to try some showing. The nearest I could find on the schnauzer member club was in Cambourne, Cornwall which is a bit too far. I would very much like to go with a personal recommendation than a Google search. :) Many thanks in advance.
Maty
First Name: Kate
Dog #1: Isaura Lucidus
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 10 Aug 2011
Dog #2: Darksprite Finn Mac
Born: 17 Mar 2013

Post by Maty »

I am not in your area but there must be breeders or show homes that would be happy to show you how it is done ;) May be have a look for them
Maty

Rodders the Mini Pup, born 10/08/11, came home on 09/10/11
Creggan the Mini Pup, born 17/03/13, came home on 01/06/13

Proud of my Scottish Heritage
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

If you're going to show you'll have to find out where your local ring craft class is. You never know there may be schnauzer owners there who show and can help you out or at least point you in the right direction since several breeds have to be stripped to be shown.
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Robert Lockwood
First Name: ROBERT

Post by Robert Lockwood »

Hello Pixiehannah, I've done a bit of showing over the past 18 months and initially I got lots of help from my groomer who himself has shown minis ....The family in Cambourne are very well known and highly respected and maybe too far to go to on a regular basis but it would maybe be a good idea to visit them a couple of times ...they will put you on the right track with the grooming and may know of other groomers, show people and ring classes nearer to you, picking the brains of people like this is invaluable.... Good luck.
Pixiehannah
First Name: Hannah

Post by Pixiehannah »

Thanks everyone for the replies, She has just started obedience classes, so I will let her learn some basics then go on to ring craft. I'm thinking it may be worth the trip for a good groomer who knows what they are doing. I guess if she is to be stripped it shouldn't need as many visits if I can do a bit in between. :D
Jon-and-Lowri
First Name: Jon
Dog #1: Colin
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 07 Mar 2015

Post by Jon-and-Lowri »

Pixiehannah wrote:Thanks everyone for the replies, She has just started obedience classes, so I will let her learn some basics then go on to ring craft. I'm thinking it may be worth the trip for a good groomer who knows what they are doing. I guess if she is to be stripped it shouldn't need as many visits if I can do a bit in between. :D
Hi Pixiehannah,
I was just wondering if you managed to find a decent groomer who was willing to strip your dog in Devon? We live in Plymouth and our 13 week old pup Colin is starting to look a bit fluffy!
Maty

Post by Maty »

Jon-and-Lowri wrote:
Pixiehannah wrote:Thanks everyone for the replies, She has just started obedience classes, so I will let her learn some basics then go on to ring craft. I'm thinking it may be worth the trip for a good groomer who knows what they are doing. I guess if she is to be stripped it shouldn't need as many visits if I can do a bit in between. :D
Hi Pixiehannah,
I was just wondering if you managed to find a decent groomer who was willing to strip your dog in Devon? We live in Plymouth and our 13 week old pup Colin is starting to look a bit fluffy!
Hi Jon

Have you thought about having a go yourself? I started with just a stripping stone and then on to stripping knives after about 6 months. Creggan's coat is now wiry and doesn't look too bad - he will never make a show ring though!

The photo below is a year ago - I must upload a more recent one!

Maty

Maty

Post by Maty »

A more recent photo

Maty

Jon-and-Lowri
First Name: Jon
Dog #1: Colin
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 07 Mar 2015

Post by Jon-and-Lowri »

Creggan looks amazing!

We don't mind having a go and spent a few hours last night trawling through all the threads about it on here. Ideally we would want to maintain the coat to a good standard in between grooms but want a pro to do things to at least start us off. We have no intentions of showing even though his dad was pretty successful. A nice wiry coat to keep his colour is what we are looking for. :D
Maty

Post by Maty »

Jon-and-Lowri wrote:Creggan looks amazing!

We don't mind having a go and spent a few hours last night trawling through all the threads about it on here. Ideally we would want to maintain the coat to a good standard in between grooms but want a pro to do things to at least start us off. We have no intentions of showing even though his dad was pretty successful. A nice wiry coat to keep his colour is what we are looking for. :D
Thank you :ymblushing: I really am not very good ;)

Honestly, get yourself a stripping stone and instead of brushing daily use that instead. Always in the direction of hair growth everywhere except the bum, cheeks, legs** and tummy. 5 minutes a day and you will still see the wiry coat starting. Honestly, if you want to achieve what I have done with Creggan you do not need a groomer to get you started. Despressingly, finding a groomer that will strip in damned near impossible :( Which is why I taught myself! You may want to get a groomer to bath, clip the bum, cheeks and tummy, clip nails, scissor legs but make sure they DO NOT touch the jacket :-o

I was told be an excellent schnauzer groomer that you need to remove the weeds (fluffy undercoat) to enable the flowers (wiry hair) to grow.

** Google schnauzer grooming chart and you will see how far down the back legs you need to go ;)
Maty