When is the right time for puppy's first grooming?

Grooming is an important part of looking after your Schnauzer. Regular grooming will help keep your Schnauzer healthy and comfortable and you will spot potential problems early. Whether you decide to clip or strip your Schnauzer, help is on hand. Schnauzers are generally a non-shedding breed and will require a fair amount of grooming to get rid of dead hair.
Angilasmith45
First Name: Angila

Re: When is the right time for puppy's first grooming?

Post by Angilasmith45 »

I heard it's around 16 weeks.
But I am not sure. Most probably it should be around 15 weeks or no more than 17 weeks.
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

What type of grooming are you wanting to have done ? Stripping or clipping ?
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Lord
Puppy
First Name: Kostis

Post by Lord »

I never had to groom a dog like that, but I would guess that you would start with grooming immediately? Not clipping or anything but maybe brushing and getting the puppy accustomed to be handled? I don';t know but that the usual approach of everything else. More like socialization than actual grooming I would think. What do the more experienced think?
Schnauzerluv
First Name: Kat
Dog #1: Ozzy
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 30 Jul 2020
Dog #2: Lily
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 12 Aug 2022

Post by Schnauzerluv »

For sure, getting puppy accustomed to being handled, feet, toes, ear, teeth examined/touched as soon as possible. You could also pop pup onto a counter or table to get used to being on a grooming table. I started pulling (tugging at) hairs at 9 weeks and they were starting to easily fall out by about 10 weeks.