The perfect age for starting show groomimg

Grooming is an important part of looking after your Schnauzer. Regular grooming will help keep your Schnauzer healthy and comfortable and you will spot potential problems early. Whether you decide to clip or strip your Schnauzer, help is on hand. Schnauzers are generally a non-shedding breed and will require a fair amount of grooming to get rid of dead hair.
Zeus2021
First Name: Roxana

The perfect age for starting show groomimg

Post by Zeus2021 »

Hi guys ! My puppy , Zeus, is 11 weeks old today . I want to know at what age is it corept to start stripping him. I want to go to dog shows next year and i want to do all in the right way.
Can you give me some advice?
For now I brush him every day and i clipped the hair from his inside of the ears and between his fingers
Zeus2021

Re: The perfect age for starting show groomimg

Post by Zeus2021 »

zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

If you want to show Zeus, you need to start hand stripping as soon as possible. Breeders who show would already be taking out the puppy fluff from seven weeks but it is not too late to start now. You really need to take the coat right back so Zeus will look a little strange initially but it will encourage the correct harsh jacket to come through. Try to do it little and often at this age and when he is relaxed and will lie on your lap while doing it. We use a stripping stone with puppies but you can use a stripping knife.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Zeus2021

Post by Zeus2021 »

Thank you for youre advice ! I will try to stripp him today. I'll post the result πŸ˜„
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

Zeus2021 wrote: ↑23 Sep 2021, 10:14 Thank you for youre advice ! I will try to stripp him today. I'll post the result πŸ˜„
Good luck and look forward to seeing the photos :)
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Zeus2021

Post by Zeus2021 »

Zeus2021

Post by Zeus2021 »

Zeus2021

Post by Zeus2021 »

I don't know what to do with the legs
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

He's looking good. I wouldnt worry too much about the legs at the moment. Just keep them combed through so they dont get any matts.
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Zeus2021

Post by Zeus2021 »

Ok. Thank you !😊
Zeus2021

Post by Zeus2021 »

Hi, guys ! I tried to brush Zeus's front legs and than to roll the coat on them because it was so much bronw hair on the legs. The result is that he has now very slim legs with little hair on them πŸ€¦β€β™€οΈ I did not expected to remove so easily so much hair .....will the hair grow back fast? He looks so funny .....

Dawnspell

Post by Dawnspell »

If youve rolled it them youre going to get some wire hair growing back rather than the undercoat fluffy hair. I think I once read that each hair follicle produces 1 wire hair and up to 12 undercoat hairs. Which of course is why the legs are fluffier than the jacket as theres more individual hairs.

If you just brush to keep the matts out and dont pull any more hairs out the undercoat will take over again but it will take around 3 months for the new wire hair to grow become dead and come out with brushing.

They still look as though theyve got lots of undercoat hair though so I wouldnt panic. I dont know if it would work or not having not had a black dog but you could try keeping the leg hair well conditioned especially using a leave in conditioner. It may help stop the browning thats caused by damage and the hair drying out.

Its not a conditioner as such but I like cowboy magic detangler and shine. It really helps stop matts forming making it a lot easier to comb so not causing as much hair damage. I rub it in when the leg hair is wet you only need a small amount. They also do cowboy magic super bodyshine, this has a deep conditioner in it as well as helping to repel dirt. I've not used it much but after applying the coat definitely feels like it got some sort of coating on it. The europe site has black friday deals at the minute not sure about your closest dealer, although you can buy on amazon etc.
https://www.cowboymagic-europe.com/products/
Our first family dog
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Zeus2021

Post by Zeus2021 »

Wow, such a long time to recover the legs ....
I will try the conditioner and just comb the legs. Hope it will be ready for show in april
Greything
Puppy
First Name: Inna

Post by Greything »

Dawnspell wrote: ↑27 Nov 2021, 10:36 If youve rolled it them youre going to get some wire hair growing back rather than the undercoat fluffy hair. I think I once read that each hair follicle produces 1 wire hair and up to 12 undercoat hairs. Which of course is why the legs are fluffier than the jacket as theres more individual hairs.

If you just brush to keep the matts out and dont pull any more hairs out the undercoat will take over again but it will take around 3 months for the new wire hair to grow become dead and come out with brushing.

https://www.cowboymagic-europe.com/products/
Thank you for this information...very helpful. I've made the same mistake with my puppy leg hair ~x( ...trying to grow them back now.
Dawnspell

Post by Dawnspell »

Dawnspell wrote: ↑27 Nov 2021, 10:36
Actually I wrote that wrong. The wire hair does die but it ends up getting the top cut off so the wire hair stays in the follicle, cant regrow and the undercoat takes over. This is what happens with a clipped jacket.
Our first family dog