Testers needed please

Any changes or interruptions to the regular service will be posted here.
Dinkum
Tech Team
First Name: Dean
Dog #1: Rupert RIP
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 24 Dec 2010
Dog #2: Watson
Born: 21 Feb 2012

Testers needed please

Post by Dinkum »

There are quite a few changes coming through the pipeline in relation to Tapatalk and I am looking for an alternative.

I would like to keep it as simple as possible to make it easy for everyone to use it, if they are on a tablet or smartphone. I have added a style to the existing prosilver one that you see on your desktop computer.

I would appreciate it if members could try using the forum via the internet browser on their phones or tablets. You may get prompted for Tapatalk, but ignore that for now. You should see a slimmed down version of the forum in your internet browser. If you currently use Tapatalk, please have a go via your browser and give me some feedback on what you like / don't like.

With the new style, you get all the search functionality of the main forum, simply by clicking on the magnifying glass. The up arrow (left hand top corner) takes you to the main board. There is quick reply and full reply, etc.

I would appreciate it if people could test it for me, see how you like it or what changes are required. Please post below.

Thanks for the help.
Dean (Dog dad)
Rupert, black mini, 24/12/10 - 01/03/24
Watson, black mini born 21/02/12

I offer my advice freely, but I am not an expert, breeder, groomer or behaviourist. It is simply my experience of raising pups in a way that seems to make sense.
Eddie
First Name: Graham

Re: Testers needed please

Post by Eddie »

Tapatalk seems to work. Does the alternative have a name??
Graham, Judie, Eddie (19-03-07 to 25-07-12), Mouse, Daisy and little Reilly. Image
Lotties Ma
First Name: Marie
Dog #1: Lottie
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 11 Oct 2011

Post by Lotties Ma »

It seems to work fine to me and more familiar than tapatalk which I find hard to navigate. What is the inserting photos like? My main issue with the forum is that photos are hard to insert. Not so with Tapatalk I know but prefer the forum for navigation
Steffi crossed the rainbow bridge 05.08.11
Thank you for the years of joy.
Gina

Post by Gina »

Got to admit I prefer Tapatalk - I use my iPad and I like the "cleanliness" of the format - neat and clear to read. When viewing the pro silver one on the tablet it is too busy, the type is too small for me and I tend to give up before I've even really started reading - for me it is not as user friendly on a small screen :(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk
Eddie
First Name: Graham

Post by Eddie »

Here's a bit more feedback.
The new format seems to work OK on my phone but it is quite busy and the moving adverts. are very distracting. My preference would be to use Tapatalk.
I notice that the adverts. are different on the tablet and not quite so intrusive but I doubt I would use it as I find the standard version is fine and oddly doesn't have adverts.
Why do you feel that we need to move away from Tapatalk?
Graham, Judie, Eddie (19-03-07 to 25-07-12), Mouse, Daisy and little Reilly. Image
Dinkum
Tech Team

Post by Dinkum »

Eddie wrote:Tapatalk seems to work.
Tapatalk does work. There are a number of rumours going around about Tapatalk being bought out and the way they are trying to monetise the app. The normal tech talk, but who knows. That is the reason why I am looking at alternatives. I also don't like the fact that a 3rd party app that we have no control over has so much access to our data. We would also lose Tapatalk if we upgraded to the lastest version of the forum, hence why we are about 4 upgrades behind. I don't want to lose functionality as part of an upgrade.
Eddie wrote:Does the alternative have a name??
There is no 3rd party app alternative. The alternative is native to the forum we currently use. It is simply another theme, based on the one we currently use. It has just been slimmed down to work better on mobiles. The fonts are bigger and clearer, there is less clutter and, personally, I think it is quite slick.
Lotties Ma wrote:What is the inserting photos like?
There is no support for photo's yet. I am working on that to see if there is an easy way. Watch this space.
Lotties Ma wrote:My main issue with the forum is that photos are hard to insert
Have a look at this post. viewtopic.php?f=52&t=17530" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Should help you add photo's easily.
Eddie wrote:Why do you feel that we need to move away from Tapatalk?
At this point, I am not recommending moving away from Tapatalk, I am simply exploring options in case we have to.
Dean (Dog dad)

I offer my advice freely, but I am not an expert, breeder, groomer or behaviourist. It is simply my experience of raising pups in a way that seems to make sense.
Dinkum
Tech Team

Post by Dinkum »

Gina wrote:When viewing the pro silver one on the tablet it is too busy, the type is too small for me and I tend to give up before I've even really started reading - for me it is not as user friendly on a small screen
Thanks for the feedback. Please ensure that you are looking at the mobile version of the site, rather than the full version. If you are on the full version, you should see a link right at the bottom of the page stating "Switch to mobile site". It right in the middle of the Icon Key block. Alternatively, you should see switch to full site if you are on the mobile version.

The mobile version looks like this (example is the unread posts page)

The view topic page looks like the one below:

Dean (Dog dad)

Cait_Griff
First Name: Caitlin
Dog #1: Griff
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 10 Jul 2015

Post by Cait_Griff »

I like it. I didn't bother with Tapatalk though, if I have a look on my mobile I just used the normal site with a lot of zooming!
Gina

Post by Gina »

No - I hadn't seen the mobile version but have had a look tonight - I can't find the unread posts which is the usual page I regularly use on Tapatalk. I am a migraine sufferer and I know that the moving adverts (as well as being distracting) would probably act as a trigger. Sorry to sound so negative :(
Using Tapatalk
Dinkum
Tech Team

Post by Dinkum »

Gina wrote:Sorry to sound so negative
No need to apologise. I need feedback to see what works, both positive and negative.
Gina wrote:I can't find the unread posts which is the usual page
In the mobile version, click on the little magnifying glass, that will give you a drop down with unread posts, your posts, new posts, unanswered posts, etc.
Dean (Dog dad)

blackgiant

Post by blackgiant »

What's happened to the link to the last post on the Board Index page of the desktop version?
Cath in Christchurch
living with
Lottie -Giant P&S
Heidi -Giant Black
Troy -Standard P&S
Suzy - Honorary Schnauzer (aka Standard Poodle)
Arran - Bearded Collie - another Honorary Schnauzer
Clover - Bearded Collie - yet another Honorary Schnauzer
Dinkum
Tech Team

Post by Dinkum »

blackgiant wrote:What's happened to the link to the last post on the Board Index page of the desktop version?
Sorry, I don't understand what link you are referring to or what it did? Please elaborate and I will look into it.
Dean (Dog dad)

blackgiant

Post by blackgiant »

Just above the person's ID on the right there is a link box to view the latest post.
It's still there within each topic list but has vanished from the board index page

Hope that's a bit clearer?
Cath in Christchurch
living with
Lottie -Giant P&S
Heidi -Giant Black
Troy -Standard P&S
Dinkum
Tech Team

Post by Dinkum »

Interesting. Never noticed the missing icon in the index page before.

I added the subject of the last post in that particular forum back in February, but as far as I can see the icon was missing before I did that.

I've added the icon back in and the subject also clicks through to the last post in that particular forum.

I hope this is what you were referring to.
Dean (Dog dad)

blackgiant

Post by blackgiant »

That's fabulous

Thanks for restoring the link it makes it so much easier to navigate
Cath in Christchurch
living with
Lottie -Giant P&S
Heidi -Giant Black
Troy -Standard P&S