food review

Need help or advice on feeding your Schnauzer, whether it be kibble or treats, you'll find the information here. There is food reviews, recipes, remedies for poorly tummies and a wealth of feeding knowledge from your fellow Schnauzer owner. We cover BARF in a separate section.
clare
Puppy

Re: food review

Post by clare »

Our standard eats Dr John's Platinum. She has only been part of our family for a couple of months and this is the food she came with. She seems to like it and we like the price (£11.99 for 15kg)! I've had a look on the internet to see what everyone else feeds their standards but soon became overwhelmed with conflicting information. I want to vary her diet so that she doesn't eat the same every day and would love any suggestions :) This thread was a really good idea x
dannie_kl

Post by dannie_kl »

Hi clare, varying the diet with different kibbles could lead you down a picky eater path but maybe you could stick with the kibble and add some bits now and then?
Does your standard like veggies? maybe try some grated carot? or perhaps some cooked veg if you are doing some for yoiur dinner a little extra in the pan for the dog. as i often am cooking for one i normally cook extra veg or make up extra gravy or something as a treat for my dogs. any leftovers from dinners are in the dogs bowls but my dogs must eat the plain biscuit because some days i eat at my dads or whatever so there isnt always things to bring home(normally is thoughas both my nan and dad have taken to cooking extra for the dogs-you'd think they were starved lol)
you just have to be careful adding extras to dinner as a picky dog who refuses to eat isnt fun.
Have you tried something like a treat ball and perhaps putting some kibble from her dinner along with a few cubes of cheese or sausage or something so its like a jackpot what will come out of the ball when she rolls it? this will be much fun for her and mentally stimulate her as well!
clare
Puppy

Post by clare »

She doesn't like carrot - first raw veg we tried! Cheese gives her TERRIBLE wind - she loves it but we don't :) She has meaty Waggs treats which we use purely for training and biscuits from p@h in her treat ball.
I'm going to try adding more veggies like potato, sweet potato now and then but am scared of giving her something that makes her ill. I know that chocolate is toxic and apparently rye bread is good for standards but that is the extent of my knowledge when it comes to standard schnauzer diet.
Does anyone have any tried and tested ideas for varying kibble diet? Veggies or other additions that add interest every now and again?
dannie_kl

Post by dannie_kl »

there is a sticky about poisonous plants and foods which may give you some help on what they can and cant eat. what about cooked carrots? sometimes i just use the bags of mixed veg
Caramomo
Site Admin
First Name: Elaine
Dog #1: Cara
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 05 Dec 2006
Dog #2: Momo
Born: 14 Aug 2009
Dog #3: Molly
Born: 01 Aug 2010

Post by Caramomo »

NO; raw potato (cooked and sweet potato is fine), lots of cabbage and broccoli (occassionally fine but not every day), grapes, onions, leeks, mushrooms.
Cara and Mo, two black mini's and Molly a black & white Heinz 57 all served by Elaine, the cook, poop picker, and chief toy thrower.
I live by the Mini Schnauzer code; when in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!
clare
Puppy

Post by clare »

Thanks - putting schnauzer + some of these toxic foods into my search engine has brought up loads of info. Can't believe I couldn't find anything useful before!
skeeterbird

Post by skeeterbird »

Hey all! I'm new to the wonderful world of Schnauzers (miniature) having only just got Lily on Sunday. But I have had dogs all my life and would like to impart my experience of Skinner's.

I have in addition to Lily, a Bernese MD/Rottweiler cross and a GSD cross. Skinner's for me (chicken and Rice and salmon and rice) is the best dog food available. I used to pay much more for Burns, But decided to try Skinner's as it was almost half the price. I'm so glad I did as they settled in their manic-ness and their coats are fantastic. Also their poos are firm and relatively inoffensive.

I get mine from yumpet whose service is good and it's very competitively priced. Tho if you know where its cheaper elsewhere let me know!
curzon
First Name: Glyn
Dog #1: Lilly
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 10 Jan 2011

Post by curzon »

I came across this website http://crpf.org.uk/index.php?section=528" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; & have decided to try some products on Primrose & see how she does first up is this http://www.vetskitchen.co.uk/#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (salmon & potato ) only day2 on it but she definately likes it so far ..... will keep you posted
Glyn - Lilly (P&S mini)

Don't cry because it's over; smile because it happened.

Our beloved Primrose 29/10/04 to 16/04/12 Run free our sweet little P

UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED A SCHNAUZER, A PART OF ONE'S SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED
pipb
Puppy
First Name: Philip

Post by pipb »

Just started Mack my standard on Applaws organic and he loves it. Will let you know how it goes. As Clare said cheese gives him extreme wind and the noises coming from his belly are unbelievable.
dannie_kl

Post by dannie_kl »

i have seen the Applaws in P@H but think for me to feed my gang all that it would cost me an arm and a leg.
I have some friends who feed Gusto working dog food and thought i would give it a try as someone well known in mini's also uses skinners and she swears by it and it got me thinking. I tentatively tried the Gusto as my dogs generally hate cheap food (expensive taste) but actually they love it, they have gusto with a bit of raw mince daily, I give salmon oil once per week and they get a garlic tablet daily (for fleas) and i have to say my dogs look great so actually i think some of these old working dog foods arent half bad!
Donald
First Name: Donald
Dog #1: Chester
is a: Black Giant Dog
Born: 01 Mar 2012

Post by Donald »

curzon wrote:I came across this website http://crpf.org.uk/index.php?section=528" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; & have decided to try some products on Primrose & see how she does first up is this http://www.vetskitchen.co.uk/#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (salmon & potato ) only day2 on it but she definately likes it so far ..... will keep you posted
I think that is identical to this stuff. I seem to remember seeing a picture of the kibbles and they look identical to the quite large ones below.
http://www.discountpetsupplies.co.uk/macksmix.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Which is quite a bit cheaper and can be found cheaper than that. (As I discovered after buying 5 bags of the stuff :( )
It's what Dieta came from the breeder on. I've seen it under at least 4 different brands.
Judi Ibbotson
First Name: Judi
Dog #1: Little Gem
Born: 16 Mar 2011

Post by Judi Ibbotson »

Nesta and Gem both love Orijin, both are prone to weight gain, at the moment Nesta is getting 75g of kibble with 15g of Naturediet mixed in, split into 2 meals a day, Gem gets 100g of kibble also split into 2 meals. I feel as though I am starving them, I keep about 20g from each back for a treat game, we play hide the kibble under cushions and toys etc around the living room for them to find, early evening, plus they get a few homemade treat when training.

How much Orijin do you feed?
Judi & the lovely Little Gem
hula-hoop
First Name: sara
Dog #1: Stanley
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jun 2010

Post by hula-hoop »

Judianne wrote:Nesta and Gem both love Orijin, both are prone to weight gain, at the moment Nesta is getting 75g of kibble with 15g of Naturediet mixed in, split into 2 meals a day, Gem gets 100g of kibble also split into 2 meals. I feel as though I am starving them, I keep about 20g from each back for a treat game, we play hide the kibble under cushions and toys etc around the living room for them to find, early evening, plus they get a few homemade treat when training.

How much Orijin do you feed?
Stanley gets 150g in total split equally between breakfast and dinner. Both times he has a teeny spoonful of wetfood on top (leftover from his puppy days when we struggled to get him to eat). I was concerned for a while that I was giving him too much, because hes on the top amount on their feeding guide, but I dont think hes fat - he's 9.1 kg but is over 16'' tall.
Stanley ratbag - s & p mini born 4/6/10
Judi Ibbotson
First Name: Judi
Dog #1: Little Gem
Born: 16 Mar 2011

Post by Judi Ibbotson »

Last weighed Gem was 8.1kg she is approx 15" tall and long. I don't think she is fat but the vet said to cut her food down. I think at the time she was getting too many treat at class as well as training at home so I have cut a lot of those out.
Judi & the lovely Little Gem
Claire Farrington
First Name: Claire

Post by Claire Farrington »

I am going to have to cut Jilly's treats as she is rather porky and the vet always said my old boy could do with losing a bit but he was never fat, they have quite low weights for mini's on their charts ;)
Properly Trained a man can be a dog's best friend

Sydney (Deansgate) gone to the Rainbow Bridge 19/04/2011 - Run free my little man
Jack (Silversocks Spot On) s/p mini born 10/04/2011
Jill (Silversocks Shana) s/p mini born 11/05/2011