Feeding

Need help or advice on feeding your Schnauzer, whether it be kibble or treats, you'll find the information here. There is food reviews, recipes, remedies for poorly tummies and a wealth of feeding knowledge from your fellow Schnauzer owner. We cover BARF in a separate section.
Leoxa73
First Name: Leoxa

Feeding

Post by Leoxa73 »

Hi, I'm new to the forum, and have an adorable miniature schnauzer puppy who is 10 weeks old and currently on dry food, bought from the breeder. He loves it but is having very loose poo, is this normal for a puppy? I have done some research and keep coming back to introducing him to a raw food diet. I'm curious to know if making your own food is an option and if so does anyone on here do it?
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Re: Feeding

Post by Dawnspell »

Hi and welcome. Is he being fed the correct amount and 3 meals a day ? Sometimes giving large meals in one go or having too much food can cause loose poos.

I fed my previous dog Barney a home cooked diet but that was because he had kidney damage from a severe infection at just over a year old. The alternative was the rubbish from the vets. It took a lot of research to do it, more than a normal diet but you would still have to do it. There are many Facebook raw feeding groups and lots of info online if you want to go the way of freestyle raw feeding. There are many high quality complete raw diets available in the meantime.

Look at allaboutdogfood.co.uk if you are in UK loads of info and reviews on there.
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

Welcome to the Forum :)

If you do want to introduce your pup to raw food, it could be an idea to start with a ready prepared food. As Alison says above, there are a wide range of ready prepared quality raw meals available for dogs in the UK and many can be checked out at the All About Dog Food website. There is so much to do with a new puppy that anything which takes some of the pressure off is helpful! However, as well as the many FB groups, there is a useful link here to have a read through if you do want to DIY:

http://www.rawfeedingrebels.com/wp-cont ... rguide.pdf

I definitely recommend raw feeding for good health in dogs as we have been doing so for 13 years now and wean our pups on to raw from 3 weeks of age.

I would mention though that if your puppy is having loose poo regularly, it could be worth having a vet check just to make sure there is not a health issue causing the digestive upset.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Leoxa73
First Name: Leoxa

Post by Leoxa73 »

Thank you for advice, if I do opt for the raw diet I will definitely start with ready prepared. He is having a teaspoon of natural goats milk yoghurt everyday as this was recommended by the breeder, o you think it could be that? He has an appointment booked with vets next week to make sure everything is ok. This forum has been so helpful!! :)
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

Leoxa73 wrote: 28 Aug 2020, 12:11 Thank you for advice, if I do opt for the raw diet I will definitely start with ready prepared. He is having a teaspoon of natural goats milk yoghurt everyday as this was recommended by the breeder, o you think it could be that? He has an appointment booked with vets next week to make sure everything is ok. This forum has been so helpful!! :)
Goats milk yogurt is more easily digested than cows milk but there are some dogs who do not tolerate dairy products of any kind and this may cause digestive issues but hard to say for sure that this is the case with your puppy.

I prefer to use products intended for dogs such as a probiotic powder (or tablet) and Tree Barks powder when any of our dogs have soft poo. You could also try mixing a little unsweetened tinned pumpkin into his food which can also help ( no more than a teaspoon in total per day for a puppy). There are some links below with more information on products I have used:

https://www.dorwest.com/blog/soothe-dog ... ks-powder/

https://yumove.co.uk/products/yudigest-for-dogs

https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/healt ... -diarrhea/
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

It's not normal for a pup especially if you have changed nothing since his arrival from the breeder. I assume he has had a vet check with first vacs and been wormed appropriately. I would get another vet check up just to be sure there's nothing untoward with a pup that young. Hopefully all is well and I certainly recommend a raw diet by the way but get his tum stable first unless deemed that it is the current diet causing the problem.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.