Liver cake recipe?

Need help or advice on feeding your Schnauzer, whether it be kibble or treats, you'll find the information here. There is food reviews, recipes, remedies for poorly tummies and a wealth of feeding knowledge from your fellow Schnauzer owner. We cover BARF in a separate section.
Maty
First Name: Kate
Dog #1: Isaura Lucidus
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 10 Aug 2011
Dog #2: Darksprite Finn Mac
Born: 17 Mar 2013

Re: Liver cake recipe?

Post by Maty »

I bet you looked like the Pied Piper Donald =))
Maty

Rodders the Mini Pup, born 10/08/11, came home on 09/10/11
Creggan the Mini Pup, born 17/03/13, came home on 01/06/13

Proud of my Scottish Heritage
angieh
First Name: Angie
Dog #1: Monty
Born: 28 Feb 2011

Post by angieh »

Great thread! We made a batch this afternoon - I've never thought of taking a photo of it, hmmmmmmmmm!

About garlic - a member of the onion family and onions are bad for dogs but it seems garlic in moderation is OK, after all some dogs have it daily to help ward of those horrid ticks and I've just ordered a garlic spray from Dorwest that they recommend rubbing into your dog's fur again to ward off ticks. Not sure I'd want quite such a garlicy dog though!
Donald
First Name: Donald
Dog #1: Chester
is a: Black Giant Dog
Born: 01 Mar 2012

Post by Donald »

Maty wrote:I bet you looked like the Pied Piper Donald =))
Exactly!

Basically every dog in the park was following me including a pair of huskies I've not met before. Even the "attack every dog in sight" staffie and collie were on their best behaviour.

Like I said, this stuff is crack for dogs.
Donald
First Name: Donald
Dog #1: Chester
Born: 01 Mar 2012

Post by Donald »

angieh wrote:Great thread! We made a batch this afternoon - I've never thought of taking a photo of it, hmmmmmmmmm!

About garlic - a member of the onion family and onions are bad for dogs but it seems garlic in moderation is OK, after all some dogs have it daily to help ward of those horrid ticks and I've just ordered a garlic spray from Dorwest that they recommend rubbing into your dog's fur again to ward off ticks. Not sure I'd want quite such a garlicy dog though!
I have garlic breath much of the time - easily sorted with parsley. The dogs don't need the parsley.
angieh
First Name: Angie
Dog #1: Monty
Born: 28 Feb 2011

Post by angieh »

=)) =)) =))

Some recipes I've seen say parsley "optional"! Maybe I'll put some in to try when I have enough to spare in the garden :)
Judi Ibbotson
First Name: Judi
Dog #1: Little Gem
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 16 Mar 2011

Post by Judi Ibbotson »

angieh wrote:Some recipes I've seen say parsley "optional"! Maybe I'll put some in to try when I have enough to spare in the garden
I put parsley in mine if I happen to have some, I cut mine very small 1/4 " squares using a pizza cutter, for training treats so I can give loads when they have done really well.
Judi & the lovely Little Gem
Caramomo
Site Admin
First Name: Elaine
Dog #1: Cara
Born: 05 Dec 2006
Dog #2: Momo
Born: 14 Aug 2009
Dog #3: Molly
Born: 01 Aug 2010

Post by Caramomo »

I made up my first ever batch of this the weekend before last following BBG's recipe and I'm amazed at what it can do.

Their recall has gone from 90% of the time to 99% (I daren't say 100% cos I'm sure there is something they will prefer, a running rabbit perhaps!) with beautiful recalls from all the dogs at the beach, first time. Their night time wee's have gone from 10 minutes of snuffling about before finally having a wee to out, find any patch of grass, have a wee and then pull back to the house as they have already figured out that they get a bit each on the back steps before we go in. It's turned my reasonably well behave girls into those very well behaved dogs I've always been a bit jealous of! \:D/ If I'd know it would only take a mix of liver, eggs, garlic and flour I'd have made some up years ago!

Thanks all, I can now be that smug so and so on the beach! :))

I'm definitely a convert and won't be buying training treats from now on, not with the results the liver cake gets.
Cara and Mo, two black mini's and Molly a black & white Heinz 57 all served by Elaine, the cook, poop picker, and chief toy thrower.
I live by the Mini Schnauzer code; when in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!
dottiedoodle

Post by dottiedoodle »

Ive made 2 lots of the liver cake now and it is great for training the poochies.I made the first lot and poured it out onto tin foil,what a silly man.The poochies enjoyed me peeling it off the tin foil and were like two little children sat there by my feet as I kept throwing them a piece. Must say though my wife refuses to make it as even the thought of touching the liver makes her feel quite woosie.Ive taken it to the dog training class we have been attending and a few of the people at the class have asked for the recipe.I like the thought that you have made it so you know exactly whats gone into making it . I would just like to take time and say a big thanks to you all for such a great home made treat recipe.

kind regards darren louise and dottie
Sam1175
First Name: Sam
Dog #1: Ruby
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Dec 2011
Dog #2: Isla
Born: 12 Dec 2013

Post by Sam1175 »

I'm really glad I found this thread! I made a batch last night but my god I wasn't prepared for the stink! :ymsick: Ruby loves it though so that's the main thing. Thanks for sharing your recipes. :)

For some reason though I decided to line the baking tray with greaseproof paper and not tin foil, thinking it wouldn't stick, and spent the next hour in the kitchen trying to peel it off the bottom of the cake! Managed to salvage a lot of it but some was wasted. Won't be doing that next time!

Sam x
Sam & Ruby, b/s mini

The average dog is a nicer person than the average person. *Andrew A. Rooney
henrys mum
First Name: Cathy
Dog #1: Cassis
is a: Black Giant Bitch
Dog #2: Odin

Post by henrys mum »

Is it better to line the baking tray or not? I used tin foil but quite a bit got stuck. Should I just grease the tray instead or will it stick no matter what?
Me (Cathy), O.H., Kids (x2) Cassis and Odin (mad giants in disguise as fur babies)
R.I.P. Henry xx
countrygirl
First Name: Tania
Dog #1: Widget
Born: 20 Oct 2011

Post by countrygirl »

HenryandCassis wrote:Is it better to line the baking tray or not? I used tin foil but quite a bit got stuck. Should I just grease the tray instead or will it stick no matter what?
It is pretty sticky stuff and after spending ages picking off bits of foil the first time I now use greaseproof paper but also grease the paper with butter as well before putting the mixture in.
Rufus: B&S mini 18/3/11 - 19/10/11
Widget: P&S mini 20/10/11
Caramomo
Site Admin
First Name: Elaine
Dog #1: Cara
Born: 05 Dec 2006
Dog #2: Momo
Born: 14 Aug 2009
Dog #3: Molly
Born: 01 Aug 2010

Post by Caramomo »

I didn't line the tin but buttered it well and still lost quite a bit off the bottom.
Cara and Mo, two black mini's and Molly a black & white Heinz 57 all served by Elaine, the cook, poop picker, and chief toy thrower.
I live by the Mini Schnauzer code; when in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!
Judi Ibbotson

Post by Judi Ibbotson »

From what you are all saying my version must be a bit firmer, i have to scrape mine from the bowl and spread it with a spoon. I just grease my tray well with lard, I can lift it half way through cooking to turn it over.

has anyone tried silicone paper/parchment rather than greaseproof paper.
Judi Ibbotson

Post by Judi Ibbotson »

Here are a couple more biscuit recipes that my two like specially the tuna ones,

Peanut butter

50ml oil
2 eggs
3 tbsp peanut butter
8oz flour rice, rye or potato or any mix you like
2oz cornmeal
2oz oats
120ml water
Herbs, garlic (optional),

Mix well you need a soft but not sticky dough, roll out to approx. ½” thick, put the whole piece onto a baking tray, cut into biscuits or small treats 1/4” square for training treats, before baking, turn over ½ way through baking. A pizza cutter works well
Bake at 160/170c until dry and slightly golden.

Tuna Treats

110g plain flour, white/ wholemeal/rice/ rye
1 medium sized egg
1 x 140g can of tuna flakes in sunflower oil (drained)
Half a teaspoon of garlic powder or granules

Puree the tuna, mix in the egg add the flour to the egg and tuna, sprinkle on the garlic as you stir it all into a mixture, when it's fully blended to a thick paste, make it into a ball then spread very thinly on the baking sheet using your hands.

line your baking sheet with non- stick silicone paper
Bake in the oven 180c for 30-40 minutes, flip over after 20 minutes and continue baking , it should be golden and fairly hard, let it cool the cut up into desired sized pieces, use a pizza cutter.
I turn the oven off and when I have cut it up I put it back into the oven to dry a bit more
Refrigerate in a plastic dish, or your fridge will smell of garlic for weeks!

Liver treats

I lb of liver (beef/lamb)
1 cup of whole wheat flour or rice/potato
1 cup of cornmeal
1/2 cloves crushed garlic, if desired!
2 eggs

Puree the liver in a food processor, add all the other ingredients and mix well.

Spread onto a greased lined (use non- stick silicone paper) baking sheet, bake in at 180c for 20 minutes flip over half way through cooking, cut into pieces ( I use a pizza cutter)I keep ½ of this recipe in a plastic box and keep in the fridge. The other half I freeze in small lined pieces ( I use a pizza cutter)

This makes 1lb 8oz of treats. For a small dog I would only make ½ quantity.
jentucker
First Name: Jeanette
Dog #1: Flint
Born: 21 Jun 2011

Post by jentucker »

Some dogs are sensitive to eggs and milk, which are common in recipes. You can substitute a half of a mashed banana, a quarter cup of applesauce or 1 tsp. baking powder, 1 tsp. oil and 1/4 cup water for the egg. Substitute goat's milk, soy milk or rice milk for cow's milk.

I think I may try the liver 1 you put up there Judianne, but try tweaking it as below to compensate for the 'grain' issue he has (& the egg issues we have) & I'll let you all know how we get on!

1lb of liver (lamb)
1 cup of rice flour
1 cup of coarse ground red lentils
2 cloves crushed garlic
2 tsp. baking powder, 2 tsp. oil and 1/2 cup water
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." (Unknown)