Feeding times for thirteen weeks old puppy

Need help or advice on feeding your Schnauzer, whether it be kibble or treats, you'll find the information here. There is food reviews, recipes, remedies for poorly tummies and a wealth of feeding knowledge from your fellow Schnauzer owner. We cover BARF in a separate section.
Sandie1
Puppy
First Name: Rachel

Feeding times for thirteen weeks old puppy

Post by Sandie1 »

My mini pup is now 13 weeks old and being fed a raw diet, Nutriment. I have only just changed her onto 3 meals per day rather than 4. Her feeding times previously were 7AM, 11AM, 3PM, 7PM.

Does anyone have any advice re: the best times to feed now that she is on 3 meals? Particularly the last meal of the day. Should this now be made earlier in the afternoon/evening? What have other owners found works best for their puppies? She usually sleeps through until 6.30-7AM in the morning (and is of course starving when she gets up!)
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: Feeding times for thirteen weeks old puppy

Post by zeta1454 »

Hi Rachel,
With our puppies of that age who get up at about 6.30, we feed after they have been outside to toilet, at about 7 a.m. then at about 12.30 to 1 p.m. and then the last meal at 6.30 - 7p.m. The adult dogs are fed at 6.30 to 7 in the morning and at 6-6.30 in the evening so it is just a case of gradually moving towards the times you would want to eventually feed your pup with a meal somewhere in the middle just for now as she is on 3 meals.

Although a 12 hour gap through the night sounds a long time for a puppy, it should be fine as she will be sleeping. There are those who believe it is beneficial for dogs (and humans) to have a good gap every day without food to allow the digestive system a rest and to promote good health overall (as long as there is no underlying health issue of course).
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Sandie1
Puppy
First Name: Rachel

Re: Feeding times for thirteen weeks old puppy

Post by Sandie1 »

Thanks Leigh,
That has put my mind at rest, I am currently doing 7ish AM, 1ish PM and 7ishPM, so similar to yours.