Eating habits change?

Need help or advice on feeding your Schnauzer, whether it be kibble or treats, you'll find the information here. There is food reviews, recipes, remedies for poorly tummies and a wealth of feeding knowledge from your fellow Schnauzer owner. We cover BARF in a separate section.
lilyandarchie
First Name: Gustavo

Eating habits change?

Post by lilyandarchie »

Hi all,

I come here as a two mini schnauzers daddy, Lily & Archie. Lily is 2 and Archie is 1.
They have always really loved their food time, even when the time of feeding them arrived at 8am and 7pm they would already be asking and get really excited.
Recently though, they started to slow down on how they eat and they just didn't seem interested in food that much, which already had my attention (and worry).

I always fed them really good quality food (Orijen & Acana). When I went on holidays, they stayed with my sister in law and they already know her and she's really good with them, she also has Schnauzer (which is their sister, Maisie - same parents).
Archie, who always gobbles everything just did not want to eat when I was away, then he got check in at the vet, they did some tests and it turns out he had pancreatitis. He got treated and now is better but still no interest in food at all.

Lily then started to watch him not eating and now she doesn't wanna eat either. Now, tried different kibbles, wet food, plain chicken which they seem to eat but still, it's so unusual for them not to be all overly excited when eating, especially like chicken.
When I arrived back from holiday, Archie got seen by his vet again and did another test and his pancreatitis test came back negative. They gave him some anti-sickness tablets... but still their interest for food is not the same as it used to be.

Apart from their eating behavior being all over the place at the moment, they are in good form, playing normally, drinking water really nothing wrong with them. The vet also did other tests and found nothing wrong.

So, my question (after that long story) is.. is it common for dogs to just wake up one day and be like... "Food? Nah"
Thanks in advance from a worried parent :-\
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: Eating habits change?

Post by zeta1454 »

Dogs can suddenly dislike or refuse a certain food for no obvious reason and sometimes it can be due to an undiagnosed health issue or even a change in the ingredients in their usual food. All our dogs have always been very excited by food - anything edible and at any time :)) Although we do feed ours a raw meat /veg. diet, they will eat practically anything they are offered.

If Lily and Archie are fit and well I would not worry too much about their reluctance to eat with enthusiasm. Are you feeding them too much? Often when dogs mature from puppyhood / adolescence and their growing period is done, they actually need less food than previously and many manufacturers over-estimate the quantities when they suggest how much to feed.

A few options would be:~ to reduce the amounts you offer for the meals; make sure they are not having extra ‘treats’ unless these are taken from their meal allowance; mix up some of the processed food you are giving them with some fresh chopped vegetables and seasonal berries, dried sprats or tinned sardines to make their meals more interesting and tasty. As with humans, dogs thrive on as fresh a diet as possible - if they are not raw fed, then try them with home cooked food or just add some fresh food to your choice of processed food.

You could also try adding a pro/prebiotic supplement to their food such as YuDigest which helps to keep the digestive system healthy and functioning well, but I would look at the amounts you are feeding first in case it is just too much for them :)
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
lilyandarchie
First Name: Gustavo

Post by lilyandarchie »

Thank you so much for your reply zeta1454.

After a week or so trying to feed them a bit of wet food mixed with their kibble, and doing what you suggested which was reduce treats and portions.
They are finally back to their usual self. Waking me up at 7am and doing their spins when I mention food which is such a relief. I was probably over worrying to be honest. I think they went on a hunger strike because I went on a holiday.

Anyway, I changed their kibble flavour to Acana Lamb which they seem to love, and reduced the treats during the day, also no more table scraps ever!
Also they got a check up by their vet and they say there is nothing wrong with them. :)
I appreciate your response it really helped. :ympray:
Schnauzerluv
First Name: Kat
Dog #1: Ozzy
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 30 Jul 2020
Dog #2: Lily
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 12 Aug 2022

Post by Schnauzerluv »

I'm happy they are both into breakfast and dinnertime doing their little spins and such. Thanks for the update.

May I ask though, what brought on the pancreatic attack at your sister's? We're they still eating the Acana/Origen?

I noticed when my elder girl was having a hard time digesting her food (renal failure), she would go off the food that made her sick or whatever she was eating that made her feel ill.

I'm really glad he is ok now after the pancreatic attack.