Meet Rocky from Boston

Please feel free to introduce yourself and your Schnauzer to the rest of the members of the forum. A photo of your Schnauzer is always appreciated.

Moderators: GaryThomlinson, zeta1454, Dawnspell

Forum rules
Please do not post questions regarding your dog here. This area allows people to introduce themselves and get to know other members of the forum. Any specific issues can be raised in the appropriate section.
Rocky_Grin
Puppy
First Name: Lauren
Dog #1: Rocky
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 30 Mar 2021

Meet Rocky from Boston

Post by Rocky_Grin »

I’m new to being a dog’s human. We decided to get a mini after my husband fell in love with a mini schnauzer puppy while traveling this past spring.

This forum has been quite helpful already, especially in the grooming forum. I’m definitely going to have a go at doing the coat myself (not clipping). Atm, I can barely get him to sit still for much grooming =)) , but I have bought an Andis deshedding tool and have gone where I can.

I’ve also deduced from another post about a different way of training and found the program with a new game every day for thirty days. Not all is applicable to a puppy, but it’s such a good foundation. Getting dehydrated beef liver has definitely helped with some of the concepts that require a degree of focus.

He’s a major bundle of joy and I’m so glad we made this leap.
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: Meet Rocky from Boston

Post by zeta1454 »

Welcome to the Forum Lauren and Rocky :)

Lovely photo :o3
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

Hi and Welcome :-h
It'll be interesting to hear how you get on with a puppy. Jasper was around 22 months and hes really responded to it. A while back they did a weeks worth of free ebooks relating just to puppies. I'm sure you'll find a link on the facebook group or instagram
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Rocky_Grin
Puppy

Post by Rocky_Grin »

Dawnspell wrote: 29 Jun 2021, 13:49 Hi and Welcome :-h
It'll be interesting to hear how you get on with a puppy. Jasper was around 22 months and hes really responded to it. A while back they did a weeks worth of free ebooks relating just to puppies. I'm sure you'll find a link on the facebook group or instagram
Thank you! There have been many eBooks including at least one on puppies, it's quite a resource; I'm impressed with the amount of content they put out. I can already see that the most valuable game will be middle.
Schnauzerluv
First Name: Kat
Dog #1: Ozzy
Born: 30 Jul 2020
Dog #2: Lily
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 12 Aug 2022

Post by Schnauzerluv »

Welcome to the schnauzer forum! Your pup looks my Ozzy when he was a pup, almost identical! So exciting you're trying your hand at hand stripping! I'm soooooo happy I learned how to do it here, he now has a beautiful black wire jacket. If we didn't hand strip, I'm almost convinced he'd be a dull chocolate. Shout out if you run into any questions, I encourage all with dog breeds that are hand strippped traditionally to give it a try. I love that I can groom him and the relationship bond really strengthens.
Rocky_Grin
Puppy

Post by Rocky_Grin »

Schnauzerluv wrote: 29 Jun 2021, 21:26 Welcome to the schnauzer forum! Your pup looks my Ozzy when he was a pup, almost identical! So exciting you're trying your hand at hand stripping! I'm soooooo happy I learned how to do it here, he now has a beautiful black wire jacket. If we didn't hand strip, I'm almost convinced he'd be a dull chocolate. Shout out if you run into any questions, I encourage all with dog breeds that are hand strippped traditionally to give it a try. I love that I can groom him and the relationship bond really strengthens.
Thanks for reaching out! I will likely be in touch in the future, atm, as I understand it, I should be focused on carding, right? I don’t see or feel anything like wire, he’s a fluff ball (and super hot during this heatwave 96/35 degrees) #:-S
Schnauzerluv
First Name: Kat
Dog #1: Ozzy
Born: 30 Jul 2020
Dog #2: Lily
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 12 Aug 2022

Post by Schnauzerluv »

Yes i've only just learned how to hand strip, so as far as I know the fluff is totally normal and how it should be. As you strip out the longest fluff hairs, they are replaced with wire as they grow back. It will be a gradual transition to wire with fluff mixed in, at least that was my experience. I was late to get the Andis deshedding tool, but when I did it made a huge difference. As I understand it the deshedding tool removes a lot of the undercoat and fluff which also will keep the dog cooler with better air flow to the skin. Ozzy had his puppy fluff in the winter, I could imagine poor Rocky. But I know Ozzy felt cooler after I used the tool.

I got Ozzy a cooling mat (just the cheap fabric kind) and he has a fan there. He loves to lie there when he gets too hot outside. He'll alternate between sunbathing on the deck (not long) and lying on his mat.

I also hear cooling vests work for after a walk in the hotter weather or even draping a ringed soaked towel on him. I am wetting Ozzy's mesh harness on walks in warmer weather, but it's very humid where I live and it doesn't work as great. Still good to help cool them down if they are heated. You could also mist or just wet him down a bit especially underbelly and neck, they don't sweat like we do and the moisture evaporation helps.

It's that black hair. It heats up so much more than lighter colors. Just today someone pet Ozzy on our walk and commented that he was really warm. She had a light cocker spaniel. I had just walked a few houses down. For the record, I know you are not doing walks yet, just sharing what happened. Luckily we take it slow and don't walk too far with lots of water in my backpack.